Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect auto-profile selected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is due to right-hand drive set up in the UK but some functionalities are still for the US left-hand drive. I was recently looking for a sticker with the tyre (not tire!) pressure, which is usually on the driver door side, but in my UK Tesla it is displayed on the passenger door.

The workaround we use is to make sure that I always get to the car and unlock it before my wife. Once it's picked up one signal, it seems to stay locked to that until the car's locked.

For us it's meant changing the way we leave the house, as I used to be the one that locked the house up, whilst my wife got in the car and got settled in. Now my wife locks up, so she always gets to the car after me. The main downside is that she always faffs around for ages, putting her handbag in exactly the right place, sorting out sunglasses, lip balm, putting on her seatbelt, etc, so now I have to sit there whilst she does all this stuff . . .

That could be your problem, if your wife always gets to the car first then the car will probably stop looking for a device to connect to once it has one. I also expect that it would look again if it loses contact, so opening the car and then going back to lock up would cause the same issue if you get too far away from it.

That could be your problem, if your wife always gets to the car first then the car will probably stop looking for a device to connect to once it has one. I also expect that it would look again if it loses contact, so opening the car and then going back to lock up would cause the same issue if you get too far away from it.

Seems to be. As the Bluetooth antenna seems to be on the passenger side, the car tended to always pick up her phone first, as she'd usually get to the car either slightly before me, or at the same time, but she'd be closer to the antenna, perhaps. It does start looking if it loses contact, seems to be a delay of around 30 seconds when this happens, about the same as the walk away lock delay, I think. Our workaround works OK, as does making sure she doesn't turn her phone on until after we're both in the car.

Don’t think that is right.

I’ve walked to the driver side and it connected to me. If I then walk to the driver’s side and my partner to the passenger side it re-connects to them.

The main downside is that she always faffs around for ages, putting her handbag in exactly the right place, sorting out sunglasses, lip balm, putting on her seatbelt, etc, so now I have to sit there whilst she does all this stuff . . .

That's the best laugh I've had all day, and today I needed it!

For those couples where one of you primarily does the driving, a better workaround might be to set both profiles to the primary driver’s settings (or set both Bluetooth devices to trigger the same profile? if that’s possible).

More than one key can select the same profile, e.g. your phone and your card key.

So set the primary driver's phone to select that driver's profile and the secondary driver's phone to not select any profile. (On the "Locks" screen, tapping the person icon for a key will make it select the current driver profile or to no profile.) The secondary driver will have to manually select their driver profile. The primary driver will have to do that only when it was already set to the secondary profile and walk-up picks the secondary phone first.

I'm trying this setup now after having the problem sometimes even when my partner's phone is in the house or we walk to the car together. It's left hand drive.

Check this video out. Hope it helps.

P.S. Not sure if we’re allowed to share YT links, but I find it easier to explain this was.
please remove if not allowed. Thanks
U.K. relevant thread only.

My car has 2 profiles. Mine and my partners. We both have iPhone used as keys.

I’ve noticed when I walk up to my car with my partner it always defaults to their profile - I always do the driving so it’s starting to get infuriating. In settings my phone is set to be the default profile.

If I walk to the car with both phones in my pocket it’s fine. The profile remains as it should, with me.

After weeks of testing I think I may have found the bug!

In the U.K. whoever walks up to the PASSENGER (left) side sets the profile in the car not the driver.

Because I always drive the profile sets to my partner - the passenger if we drive together.

Today as a trial I walked to the passenger door and the profile set to me.

When this was confirmed I walked back round to the driver’s door and the profile swapped to my partner again who had moved to the passenger door.

This would also explain why nobody in America is seeing this problem because for them it’s the correct behaviour.

Can any Brit who has 2 profiles set in their car please test this for me and confirm if you experience the same.

Reactions: MrBadger
Just had the following message from Tesla....

Good afternoon, our Technicians' remote diagnosis found that the signal from the drivers side bluetooth antenna is not as expected, please note this antenna is only for phone as key use and has no infotainment functionality. We expect that this is the cause of the concern so have requested that it is replaced. As you have a secondary owner/driver of the vehicle for future mobile app functionality it is preferred that each driver have their own My Tesla account and additional app access. This will help to prevent any complication that may arise by using the same login information on multiple devices. Please request this by emailing [email protected]. We've placed the parts on order and they should arrive in time for your booking, but if there are any problems we will let you know if anything gets delayed.
Thank you, Tesla Mobile Service
NB: All warranty concerns are subject to onsite inspection to determine validity

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I’ve also been doing some troubleshooting and if I remove my partner's phone from the Tesla Bluetooth settings page the problem seems to go away and the right phone selects the correct driving profile.

Once I re-add my partner’s phone to the car's Bluetooth page the car always sets the profile to the person at the passenger side of the car.

A phone can be a key without being added to the Bluetooth settings page.

Maybe the bug is not with the key after all and it’s caused by phones in the Bluetooth settings page.

With my wife’s phone in the upstairs bedroom and mine in my pocket having put the kid in the passenger rear seat it still selects her profile quite often. Does my head in. So not sure it’s even to do with the antenna as I walk past the passenger door every day. The profiles and keys are all set up correctly. Might try your Bluetooth trick above.

I’ve also been doing some troubleshooting and if I remove my partner's phone from the Tesla Bluetooth settings page the problem seems to go away and the right phone selects the correct driving profile.

Once I re-add my partner’s phone to the car's Bluetooth page the car always sets the profile to the person at the passenger side of the car.

A phone can be a key without being added to the Bluetooth settings page.

Maybe the bug is not with the key after all and it’s caused by phones in the Bluetooth settings page.
Actually disregard above. It seems to make no difference.

Tesla have just been to mine to fix this issue. For some reason they changed a driver’s door camera!! Needless to say the incorrect profile selection bug is still evident. I could reproduce the issue 100% of the time with Tesla here.

They are continuing their investigations.

I am convinced it’s a Tesla software bug.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer