Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect use of Tesla vehicle names

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The word "Telsa" gets annoying but it's also a common typo. The "Tesla S"/"Tesla X" issue is probably because it sounds weird to say "Model? Model S/Model X". When most people hear "Model S/Model X" they assume the word "Model" isn't part of the actual model name. :eek:

I really don't mind any of the above. I think that the reason why tesla calls it the "model s" is because it is probably playing on the model t name. I think just calling it "s" officially would have been weird. I think s stands for sedan, while x is for crossover. It is nly logical that gen 3 will be the "model e" for economy.

Well, what the heck. Might as well keep flogging this horse. Here's a quiz for any car historians out there:

1. What was the name of the model of Mr. Ford's real first success? Was it the T, or was it the Model T? Ditto with A/Model A?

2. Subsequent to the Model T, how many other American cars have been called (ie, regardless of "real" name), "Model ____x_____"?

3. Ditto for non-American cars?

I have a Prius C and my dad has a Prius V. Two completely different vehicles (one for the "City" one for "Versatility") but share the word "prius." We refer to our cars as "the C" and "the V" to distinguish the difference. Same thing here, the common word is "Model" so it ends up being dropped.

Once I get my Model S my wife and I will probably call it "the Tesla" and once we have a Model S and a Model X we will probably call them "the S" and "the X." Or maybe I should come up with "pet names" for them...

However, I agree with the OP that the word "Model" is important. If you're going to say "Tesla S" you might as well say Model, too. Back to my original example, I would never say a "Toyota C" or a "Toyota V."

Realizing that the official model of the car is 'Model S', many owners (myself included) have personal names for their cars. Mine is simply 'Pac Blue', which of course follows the color name Pacific Blue. However, given the nature of the color, Midnight Blue is probably more accurate. Anyway, does 'Pac Blue' for a personal name pass muster?

Some background: My first EV conversion (Nissan Stanza Wagon - yes, wagon) was dubbed 'Electric Blue'. I had vinyl decals on the sides noting such. My 2nd conversion (VW New Beetle) was 'Electric Bug'. So 'Pac Blue' doesn't seem too out of wack given my naming history.

FYI any ICE cars I've owned I have not named as I simply was not inspired enough to do so.

I think Tesla putting "Model" in the name of the car was clunky, but purposeful branding. But I see "Model" as a modifier much like you would say 3-Series or E-Class. I think Tesla wanted to dictate how people spoke about the car, and got a little overboard by putting "Model" on the badging, but not all the literature.

I think after the public accepts the vernacular of "Model" __. Tesla will slowly phase it out and adopt a BMW/MB simplified naming system. Where you will end up saying "Model S" referring to a class of cars. But say "S60" or "SP85+" for more specific usages.

I have though about taking off the "Model" portion of my rear badging. But given the number of questions I still get about my car, I don't want to introduce any confusion to the general public yet.

I always assumed having the word "Model" in the model name was a bit of a throw back and salute to the Ford Model T and how revolutionary it was for the time. The Model S was intended to be just as revolutionary in it's own way. Possibly more revolutionary (hence S comes before T in the alphabet.) But I just made that up in my imagination...