Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@StealthP3D Looks like Tesla did find a fault in the battery after all. Good news for the OP

As I've stated numerous times in this thread, I've always been in favor of warranty replacement if there was evidence of a battery fault that went beyond gradual degradation. However, I still haven't seen any evidence of that. I'm keeping my eyes open but nothing I've seen indicates that Tesla had to do this in order to honor the actual terms of the actual warranty that was in place.

I suspect this was a goodwill warranty give away because it simply became easier to put some grease on the squeaky wheel than to listen to the continuing squeaking. And I don't like paying for squeaky wheels because it's not my nature to be one, I'm just not one to try to get things that are not legitimately owed to me. But everyone is different and I do end up paying for those who work the system to get more than their just due.

I'm not complaining, the cost was a drop in the bucket to Tesla but I will always speak out for the principles I stand for. And it's always sad when I see someone who I thought started out as a Tesla supporter who turned into a "what can Tesla do for me" kind of customer. I'm willing to change my mind if I see new evidence that's convincing but I'm not holding my breath.

As I've stated numerous times in this thread, I've always been in favor of warranty replacement if there was evidence of a battery fault that went beyond gradual degradation. However, I still haven't seen any evidence of that. I'm keeping my eyes open but nothing I've seen indicates that Tesla had to do this in order to honor the actual terms of the actual warranty that was in place.

I suspect this was a goodwill warranty give away because it simply became easier to put some grease on the squeaky wheel than to listen to the continuing squeaking. And I don't like paying for squeaky wheels because it's not my nature to be one, I'm just not one to try to get things that are not legitimately owed to me. But everyone is different and I do end up paying for those who work the system to get more than their just due.

I'm not complaining, the cost was a drop in the bucket to Tesla but I will always speak out for the principles I stand for. And it's always sad when I see someone who I thought started out as a Tesla supporter who turned into a "what can Tesla do for me" kind of customer. I'm willing to change my mind if I see new evidence that's convincing but I'm not holding my breath.

You just don't know when to stop just like others have implied. You are the squeaky wheel. Even when Tesla says they will honor the warranty due to a fault in the battery. I am just glad I didn't do anymore than just keep on driving the vehicle like many other people suggested on this site and wait for the fault to happen.
I didn't keep complaining to Tesla like you suggested above. Tesla said there was a fault without me even saying another word about the battery. I appreciate Tesla for continuing to monitor the situation so they could tell when a fault occurred. Once again you keep on making statements up to try and make your story better. I am definitely glad that I didn't take your advice about arbitration. If I did take that advice I guess you could have your above argument about me continuing to complain to Tesla about the battery.
As I stated to you before I don't expect Tesla to do anything besides what they say they will do per their warranty. Who wouldn't want a manufacturer to honor what they say they will do.
Thanks again to those that gave helpful advice during this situation.

You just don't know when to stop just like others have implied. You are the squeaky wheel.

I have the right to provide my opinion like anyone here and it's not going to work to try to bully me into being silent. I stand by my analysis. And you seem to have a misunderstanding, I was not making the claim that you were complaining to Tesla in private, I was addressing your very public "squeaking" that you have kept alive now for 31 pages.

Apparently, it worked for you so enjoy your new battery and another 240,000 miles of free supercharging on Tesla's dime! No hard feelings here (but it's not something I would personally do or be proud of).

As I've stated numerous times in this thread, I've always been in favor of warranty replacement if there was evidence of a battery fault that went beyond gradual degradation. However, I still haven't seen any evidence of that.

I’m not quite sure why you keep ignoring this relevant fact, but on what planet is a sudden and unexplained 9% drop in rated range not an obvious defect that should be covered by the warranty?

Anyway, good news OP. Glad they’re making it right.

I’m not quite sure why you keep ignoring this relevant fact, but on what planet is a sudden and unexplained 9% drop in rated range not an obvious defect that should be covered by the warranty?

Please refer me to the evidence you are referring to, I've read this entire thread (unfortunately) and did not see that reported.

I have the right to provide my opinion like anyone here and it's not going to work to try to bully me into being silent. I stand by my analysis. And you seem to have a misunderstanding, I was not making the claim that you were complaining to Tesla in private, I was addressing your very public "squeaking" that you have kept alive now for 31 pages.

Apparently, it worked for you so enjoy your new battery and another 240,000 miles of free supercharging on Tesla's dime! No hard feelings here (but it's not something I would personally do or be proud of).
Actually many opinions have been taken down even though they were giving sound advice. Thanks again to those that gave great advice including to just keep driving the vehicle and wait for a fault/failure to occur.
Once again I paid almost a $100,000 for a vehicle that Tesla said I would have a lifetime of SC for the vehicle so it shouldn't matter about free supercharging. Just so you know we charge all 3 of our vehicles at home during the night because we have free electricity at nights on our electric plan. Are you going to say that I am taking advantage of the electric company now? So obviously I am not getting "another 240,000 miles of free supercharging on Tesla's dime!"
Best of Luck to you and good riddance. I guess you consider that bullying.

Please refer me to the evidence you are referring to, I've read this entire thread (unfortunately) and did not see that reported.

Search this thread for “9%” and you’ll find all of the relevant conversation. Looks like it was first discussed in post 461 and mentioned as recently as the previous page by David99. OP explicitly mentioned it in a direct reply to YOU in post 505.

Last edited:

I see why I didn't see that, because it never happened.

First, let's get our terms straight. "Rated Range" on the car is 265 miles. The range showing on the display after a full charge is the "estimated range". The OP claimed on Feb. 10th his car was showing 209 miles estimated range after a full (trip) charge:

I remember getting 260 miles of capacity on a trip charge when i bought it. I get 209 on a trip charge now.

10 days later, in post #461, after getting the car back from Tesla Service, the OP claimed he was down to 195 (estimated range) after a full charge:

The trip charge @ 100% was down to 195 this morning. That is a 9% decrease since last Friday when I picked it up from Tesla. Thanks for the input.

209 - 195 = loss of 14 miles. 14 miles is only 6.7% of 209 miles (not 9%). However, your claim was that he lost 9% of the "rated range". The rated range is 265 miles so 14 miles is only 5.3% of the rated range (not 9%).

Also, keep in mind, the estimated range is only an estimate. It WILL fluctuate (up and down) depending upon various factors. It's not an exact measurement, it's an estimation.

I read the reports of the OP very carefully and tend to gloss over the exaggerated claims some people extract from that and then repeat as fact. Make no mistake, he did not suddenly lose 9% of the "rated range" (nor did he lose 9% of the estimated range). Look, he got what he wanted, a $21,000 battery at no charge, so I'm not sure why you want to continue parsing the numbers from his old, worn-out pack. Please, just let it go.

lol, you are splitting hairs to the point of lunacy.

10 days later, in post #461, after getting the car back from Tesla Service, the OP claimed he was down to 195 (estimated range) after a full charge:

He said after Tesla did whatever they did resetting or calibrating the BMS, they verified it charged to 212 while they had the car. Then it was at 195 less than a week later. That’s a sudden and unexplained loss of 8.1% of the previously displayed range (admittedly not 9%, but again on the splitting hairs). That is not normal, ever. Such a sudden unexplained loss in range is EXACTLY the symptom most people report shortly before fatal battery faults and subsequent warranty replacements.

Also, keep in mind, the estimated range is only an estimate. It WILL fluctuate (up and down) depending upon various factors.
By 5-10% in a period of days? Without something being obviously wrong? Never. In 73,000 miles, my rated range has never deviated by more than 2 miles from charge to charge. Suggesting a 5-10% fluctuation is normal because “various factors” is just plain wrong.

Look, he got what he wanted, a $21,000 battery at no charge, so I'm not sure why you want to continue parsing the numbers from his old, worn-out pack. Please, just let it go.

I think it’s a little rich that you suddenly want to “let it go” after 30 pages of incessantly berating this guy and making one final post where you basically tell him he’s a whiner and Tesla capitulated to shut him up. Apparently that’s easier than admitting you’re wrong and there was something obviously wrong with the battery all along? Lame.

I think it’s a little rich that you suddenly want to “let it go” after 30 pages of incessantly berating this guy and making one final post where you basically tell him he’s a whiner and Tesla capitulated to shut him up.

To be clear, I've made no secret of the fact that I believe the OP's strategy was to be such a pain that Tesla would finally cave in and give him what he wanted all along, a fresh new battery pack at no charge. So this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has been following my take on this situation. And it should surprise no one that I find it distasteful.

The one thing you are correct about is that I don't think it will be productive to re-hash all the numbers of the OP's battery pack which has been undergoing degradation for years. There's no point in it. If you think there is, then carry on!

I see why I didn't see that, because it never happened.

First, let's get our terms straight. "Rated Range" on the car is 265 miles. The range showing on the display after a full charge is the "estimated range". The OP claimed on Feb. 10th his car was showing 209 miles estimated range after a full (trip) charge:

209 - 195 = loss of 14 miles. 14 miles is only 6.7% of 209 miles (not 9%). However, your claim was that he lost 9% of the "rated range". The rated range is 265 miles so 14 miles is only 5.3% of the rated range (not 9%).

Also, keep in mind, the estimated range is only an estimate. It WILL fluctuate (up and down) depending upon various factors. It's not an exact measurement, it's an estimation.

I read the reports of the OP very carefully and tend to gloss over the exaggerated claims some people extract from that and then repeat as fact. Make no mistake, he did not suddenly lose 9% of the "rated range" (nor did he lose 9% of the estimated range). Look, he got what he wanted, a $21,000 battery at no charge, so I'm not sure why you want to continue parsing the numbers from his old, worn-out pack. Please, just let it go.
Your numbers are still wrong and have inaccurate calculations. I promise you will feel differently if you ever break down on the side of the road with the range indicator saying you have 16 miles left. Once again I know you want to have the last word but you are giving inaccurate information to make your story sound better. This thread wouldn’t be half as long if I didn’t have to defend for those putting out inaccurate information. As you stated above, “please, just let it go”.

Your numbers are still wrong and have inaccurate calculations.

I took the numbers straight from your posts, and your posts have the only info we have to go on. By using those numbers I'm assuming you relayed them accurately. If those numbers are wrong, it's because you posted the wrong numbers. But you got what you wanted, a new battery to replace your old, worn-out one, so you can just bask in your $21K win.

OP in post 594 stated he took his car in to get his new wheels and tires and Tesla informed him they found a fault in the battery and would replace it. Based on that storyline, it does NOT sound like he went to the SC that day to complain about the battery. It sounds more like the case that he took the car in (for new wheels and tires) and while Tesla did they complementary review of the car, they independently discovered an issue with the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

The range showing on the battery state of charge display after a full charge (or anytime) is estimated battery capacity in rated miles. I say it's estimated battery capacity because it's a computer calculation of available pack capacity. The important thing to note is that it's rated range, as opposed to the "guessometer" on most EVs. The only time it's estimated miles is when you're looking at the energy graph and that's based on your recent 5, 15 or 30 miles of driving.

Seeing a 9% drop in your battery SOC meter's rated range is abnormal.

The range showing on the battery state of charge display after a full charge (or anytime) is estimated battery capacity in rated miles. I say it's estimated battery capacity because it's a computer calculation of available pack capacity. The important thing to note is that it's rated range, as opposed to the "guessometer" on most EVs. The only time it's estimated miles is when you're looking at the energy graph and that's based on your recent 5, 15 or 30 miles of driving.

Seeing a 9% drop in your battery SOC meter's rated range is abnormal.

As I've already detailed above, it didn't drop 9%, that was an exaggeration. But it is normal for the estimated SOC to fluctuate up and down somewhat, especially with a battery that had already experience gradual degradation to the tune of 20% of its original capacity (265 miles down to 209 miles). And then it dropped another 14 miles (or another 5.3% of the original capacity). But you are beating a dead horse because the OP already got what he publically lobbied for, a brand new $21,000 battery pack to replace his old worn out one.