Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, the eight year, infinite mile warranty would cover me if my car won't run due to the battery going completely bad. It's my understanding that his car is still operable, but with reduced range caused by battery degradation over the last seven years.

I must have missed the reply about why a battery/drive train that had been replaced 3 times would not be pushing the probability of degradation and failure down the years.
Certainly if the original battery had all of these miles on it the story would be different vis-a-vis degradation.

Also the heat in Texas is HELL (pardon the caps) on batteries. I have returned to my Model X on a hot August day after 11 hours in the sun and noticed 25 Kwh had just "disappeared" .

I routinely check the trip display and Teslafi during hot weeks of commuting AND charge to 100% every night.

Good Luck to the OP.

OK. I just wanted to give you guys an update for those that have tried to give me helpful advice during this problem. I picked up my car today and as I predicted Tesla is not going to replace the battery.

They instructed me that they calibrated the battery to assist with the range indicator malfunction. They said the cars range was tested to be accurate from 0-212 now which is a slight improvement from the 209 with a 100% charge that I was getting before.

In regards to the 171.2 (209x295/360 = 171.2) miles that I should have gotten during the trip which should include all interior and exterior factors(wind, rain, heat, a/c and anything else you can thing of) for the energy consumption they said they would have to get with engineering again for an answer. It seems like they should already have had an answer for this.(thanks to david99 for your excellent math lesson).

I asked about why the average 360 Wh/mile was so high during the trip and the only answer I could get was the "battery is dragging it from somewhere" but they did agree that the average 360 Wh/mile should include everything and couldn't answer why the car actually got 139 instead of 171.

By the way, Tesla was nice enough to let me have a P85 loaner (My car is an 85 so it shouldn't consume as much energy) during the week that they were testing my car. I took the same road trip twice during that time and actually drove over the 75 mph speed limit in the loaner with only an average of 315 Wh/mile. Today when I was driving my vehicle at the speed limit(mostly 75 mph or aggressively as some have stated) I was averaging around 320 Wh/mile which is a great improvement.

I asked nicely if I could see how my car looked on the scale in regards to miles traveled vs. remaining range and the response that I got was Tesla can't release that information. (a quick thanks to troy for providing that earlier in the thread but my car was off the chart). It would be nice to know but I know I am "beating a dead horse" (nice quote by davewill) in regards to arguing degradation(Tesla won't cover degradation). If anybody out there has over 240,000 miles on their car I would love to see what problems they have been experiencing as well so we can compare.

I did want to let you guys know that it was $25,000 for a 90 battery. That is twice the price from 5 years ago. My theory on that is Tesla is just trying to cover their cost and offer a discount to people like me in the future while still making a profit. I want Tesla to make a profit as well and succeed as a company but they should always honor what they say to be a successful company in the future.

I have decided to go on the advice of many on this thread to just keep on driving the vehicle until the battery leaves me stranded again. I have about two and half years on the 8 year/infinite mile warranty and have broke down(requiring towing) on average about once a year due to the drive train or battery so I am sure I will be back to the service center if history repeats itself.

To those of you in this thread that have attacked me, my family, my education, my integrity and the experience that my family went through, I hope you think of me when you are stranded on the side of the road one day. As previously stated, I am sure you know the phrase about karma. I wanted to thank all of those that had helpful information about trying to get this situation rectified.

UNTIL NEXT TIME, THE REDNECK HILLBILLY CAP MAN IS OUT!!!!!!

OK. I just wanted to give you guys an update for those that have tried to give me helpful advice during this problem. I picked up my car today and as I predicted Tesla is not going to replace the battery.

They instructed me that they calibrated the battery to assist with the range indicator malfunction. They said the cars range was tested to be accurate from 0-212 now which is a slight improvement from the 209 with a 100% charge that I was getting before.

In regards to the 171.2 (209x295/360 = 171.2) miles that I should have gotten during the trip which should include all interior and exterior factors(wind, rain, heat, a/c and anything else you can thing of) for the energy consumption they said they would have to get with engineering again for an answer. It seems like they should already have had an answer for this.(thanks to david99 for your excellent math lesson).

I asked about why the average 360 Wh/mile was so high during the trip and the only answer I could get was the "battery is dragging it from somewhere" but they did agree that the average 360 Wh/mile should include everything and couldn't answer why the car actually got 139 instead of 171.

By the way, Tesla was nice enough to let me have a P85 loaner (My car is an 85 so it shouldn't consume as much energy) during the week that they were testing my car. I took the same road trip twice during that time and actually drove over the 75 mph speed limit in the loaner with only an average of 315 Wh/mile. Today when I was driving my vehicle at the speed limit(mostly 75 mph or aggressively as some have stated) I was averaging around 320 Wh/mile which is a great improvement.

I asked nicely if I could see how my car looked on the scale in regards to miles traveled vs. remaining range and the response that I got was Tesla can't release that information. (a quick thanks to troy for providing that earlier in the thread but my car was off the chart). It would be nice to know but I know I am "beating a dead horse" (nice quote by davewill) in regards to arguing degradation(Tesla won't cover degradation). If anybody out there has over 240,000 miles on their car I would love to see what problems they have been experiencing as well so we can compare.

I did want to let you guys know that it was $25,000 for a 90 battery. That is twice the price from 5 years ago. My theory on that is Tesla is just trying to cover their cost and offer a discount to people like me in the future while still making a profit. I want Tesla to make a profit as well and succeed as a company but they should always honor what they say to be a successful company in the future.

I have decided to go on the advice of many on this thread to just keep on driving the vehicle until the battery leaves me stranded again. I have about two and half years on the 8 year/infinite mile warranty and have broke down(requiring towing) on average about once a year due to the drive train or battery so I am sure I will be back to the service center if history repeats itself.

To those of you in this thread that have attacked me, my family, my education, my integrity and the experience that my family went through, I hope you think of me when you are stranded on the side of the road one day. As previously stated, I am sure you know the phrase about karma. I wanted to thank all of those that had helpful information about trying to get this situation rectified.

I'm glad your Tesla still runs and you are able to drive it with it's original battery from 2012!!

I'm glad your Tesla still runs and you are able to drive it with it's original battery from 2012!!

Good Luck.

Thanks for the update. So you're now seeing 212 miles displayed at 100% charge? I'd still be curious to see what your total pack capacity is showing in terms of kWh. Please let us know if you're ever able to get that data. I'd also be curious to know if your car still shuts down at lower battery capacities, but that's obviously not an easy one to test without getting stranded again.

Reactions: akhafagi

I think it should be pointed out that the $12,000 battery replacement plan that Tesla announced in 2012 (2013 Model S Price Increase) is something they never followed through with, and it was only supposed to grant you a new battery after 8 years. So Tesla was betting that having access to that money for 8 years and the reduction in costs during that time would mean they wouldn't lose money. They evidently decided that it was too big a risk, though.

Thanks for the update. So you're now seeing 212 miles displayed at 100% charge? I'd still be curious to see what your total pack capacity is showing in terms of kWh. Please let us know if you're ever able to get that data. I'd also be curious to know if your car still shuts down at lower battery capacities, but that's obviously not an easy one to test without getting stranded again.
I am trying not to charge to 100% and definitely don't want to go to 0% per Tesla advice. I will let you know when it does. Thanks again for your input!

i have been a loyal tesla owner since 2013. my family currently owns a 2012 tesla model s 85, 2016 tesla model x 90 and just most recently purchased a 2018 model s 100. the most important reason we continue to purchase from tesla is the infinite mile battery and power train warranty. my 2012 tesla model s was purchased in 2013 and therefore the warranty doesn't expire until 2021. tesla has replaced the power train 3 different times since 2013 for the model s without any problems in honoring the warranty. in january of 2019 we broke down on the side of the highway with 16 miles left on the range indicator and only 139 miles on the current trip being taking. the only warning the car gave me at that time was "battery very low, needs charging" once we had broke down. i had been having problems for years with the decreasing battery range and tesla just saying it is degradation or the way i drive it. i drive all of the vehicles the same. the only difference is the amount of miles the 2012 actually gets when driving. the battery capacity was getting around 175 miles per trip charge before the most recent break down. tesla is not wavering on not replacing the battery. the houston north service center actually responded that the warranty clearly states degradation isn't covered. my argument was this is clearly more than degradation but they said this is what upper management has told me to say. i told them that i have read in other articles that batteries have been replaced for the same issues that i am having but the response i got was still they would not replace the battery. i asked how low the battery has to get for them to honor the warranty and the response i got was if it isn't a hardware issue that they wouldn't replace the battery. i responded by saying so the car could get down to 50 miles of battery range and you could say it is just degradation. the response was yes. i desperately would appreciate any suggestions to get tesla to honor the warranty and to warn others about tesla's new policy on battery replacement.

Couldn’t read that first post so auto lowercased it via an online tool.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shaggy and KidDoc
OP, I don’t think that you have an issue with the energy consumption being excessive. 360 Whr/mile at 75 mph is not terrible. I almost never get the EPA range based on a consumption of 295 Whr/mile. My average energy consumption in my 2013 P85 is 344 Whr/mile. When I drove to Phoenix via I-40, my energy consumption at 90+ mph ranged from about 400 Whr/mile to 450 Whr/mile depending on (beside the speed) the inclination of the highway, temperature, wind and other factors. There are too many factors that effect how much energy you consume driving.

OP, I don’t think that you have an issue with the energy consumption being excessive. 360 Whr/mile at 75 mph is not terrible. I almost never get the EPA range based on a consumption of 295 Whr/mile. My average energy consumption in my 2013 P85 is 344 Whr/mile. When I drove to Phoenix via I-40, my energy consumption at 90+ mph ranged from about 400 Whr/mile to 450 Whr/mile depending on (beside the speed) the inclination of the highway, temperature, wind and other factors. There are too many factors that effect how much energy you consume driving.
And they call me an aggressive driver!!!! Thanks for the info and watch out for the PoPo!!!!!!

Reactions: GSP
i have been a loyal tesla owner since 2013. my family currently owns a 2012 tesla model s 85, 2016 tesla model x 90 and just most recently purchased a 2018 model s 100. the most important reason we continue to purchase from tesla is the infinite mile battery and power train warranty. my 2012 tesla model s was purchased in 2013 and therefore the warranty doesn't expire until 2021. tesla has replaced the power train 3 different times since 2013 for the model s without any problems in honoring the warranty. in january of 2019 we broke down on the side of the highway with 16 miles left on the range indicator and only 139 miles on the current trip being taking. the only warning the car gave me at that time was "battery very low, needs charging" once we had broke down. i had been having problems for years with the decreasing battery range and tesla just saying it is degradation or the way i drive it. i drive all of the vehicles the same. the only difference is the amount of miles the 2012 actually gets when driving. the battery capacity was getting around 175 miles per trip charge before the most recent break down. tesla is not wavering on not replacing the battery. the houston north service center actually responded that the warranty clearly states degradation isn't covered. my argument was this is clearly more than degradation but they said this is what upper management has told me to say. i told them that i have read in other articles that batteries have been replaced for the same issues that i am having but the response i got was still they would not replace the battery. i asked how low the battery has to get for them to honor the warranty and the response i got was if it isn't a hardware issue that they wouldn't replace the battery. i responded by saying so the car could get down to 50 miles of battery range and you could say it is just degradation. the response was yes. i desperately would appreciate any suggestions to get tesla to honor the warranty and to warn others about tesla's new policy on battery replacement.

Couldn’t read that first post so auto lowercased it via an online tool.
How many miles on your S that broke down?

Thanks for the update. In terms of how your degradation, yours is too high to be believable. My car has similar miles and was used in the same climate and conditions. I have driven it down close to 0 countless times, charged to 100% many times. My degradation is only 10%. I still believe there is something else going on in your battery, but Tesla doesn't want to hand out batteries so they just call it degradation. If you are ever in California, let me know and I'll read the data to see what's going on.

It had almost 235,000 miles with the most recent break down.
Apologies @HMARTINPT I was actually directing my mileage question to @cliffud (post #289) since he’s having a similar issue. Curious if he also has similar ultra-high miles?

Also, for anyone who knows, is there also a current price from Tesla for a 100 kWh battery pack? If one had to shell out $25k, it would be nice to know the cost of upgrading further to the 100 battery and gaining the maximum mileage range possible at the same time ;) Turn lemons into lemonade.

Finally, I’m assuming there’s a core charge (i.e., you must give up your old battery pack to Tesla), while still paying the $25k?​

Last edited:
Did the OP ever try going to a different service center? Like, maybe take a road trip to CA and try the service centers there or hit up a few along the way until one of them agrees to do it. My experience is each service center is NOT created equal, some are MUCH better than others.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Did the OP ever try going to a different service center? Like, maybe take a road trip to CA and try the service centers there or hit up a few along the way until one of them agrees to do it. My experience is each service center is NOT created equal, some are MUCH better than others.
I haven't tried another service center but did try tesla
I agree that every service center is different. I actually drive further now to go to one that I found to be friendlier and more helpful. They know me by name. They also said the information they received was coming from upper management.
I didn't try another service center but the service center manager said he had already spoke with the regional supervisor and the answer was the same(15% discount on new battery was the best they would do).
I also tried the escalate issue option in My Tesla account and got the same response. Thanks for input but I don't know if my car could make it to California.

• Helpful
Reactions: KidDoc

don't they share records? while buying a CPO they keep referring to "documenting my file", I'm afraid that I might be labelled a high maintenance customer :)