Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC! I used to spend a lot of time on this forum many years ago. Good to be back.

I've got a 2013 S, VIN around about 10,000. Oldie but goodie. Tesla got in touch to say that my old 3G service would soon be shut down by the cell carriers, so I had to pay $500 to upgrade to 4G to keep connectivity. They were suggesting that I do a full infotainment upgrade for $1800. Plus another $500 if I want to keep my FM radio, which I do. So, $2300 before taxes.

I'd be mildly entertained by the new features, caraoke and such, but our kids get car sick so we won't be watching videos in the car, and they're not gamers, so there's not much actual 'infotainment' we'd be using.

However... half the issues we have the with the car nowadays is more computer / software / etc related, it seems. Navigation acting buggy. Problems connecting to Wifi. Just lots of weird software glitches all the time. It feels like we're driving an out-of-date computer. The actual mechanicals seem pretty good. So if the infotainment upgrade would help with all that, maybe it's worth it.

Any opinions on whether it'd help that? Is it really replacing the entire "computer mind" of the car, or are there other old computer-type parts that will still be old and glitchy? Any other thoughts for me?

Also, somewhat related question: are there any other upgrades that I'd be able to get on my old car? We have no safety features, certainly no self-driving, no cameras, nada. Only RWD, which is a shame. If any of that stuff were available I'd be curious to check it out.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Welcome back.
The upgrade is worth it in my opinion, as I plan to keep mine for a long time and it makes it feel brand new.
The reactivity of the screens and the added features, beside the fun parts, are worth it.

But I’m wondering what kind of price they told you.
It’s 1500$ without radio module. And indeed 500$ more for that module.

See here for prices and features.

This upgrade replaces both screens (IC and MCU) and indeed the computer behind. It does include the 4G/LTE.

Nothing more to change to get up to speed with what any S has up to 2020.

Ok, thanks for your thoughts.

Has anyone had the issues we described with older computers - issues with navigation, just general old glitchiness - that were solved when upgrading? Although I assume it would be definition solve anything, since the entire thing is being upgraded...

Has anyone had the issues we described with older computers - issues with navigation, just general old glitchiness - that were solved when upgrading? Although I assume it would be definition solve anything, since the entire thing is being upgraded...
I didn't have any significant problems with my center screen, other than slowness and an occasional reboot ... until a couple weeks ago, just after I had the eMMC card updated due to the recall and had the 3G replaced with LTE. Now I'm experiencing frequent "center screen unavailable" errors which require several minutes and a full reboot, plus the center screen started leaking. And it all happened during a ~3,000 mile road trip for the holidays. I'm frankly rather annoyed (for the first time since buying my car), but it seems my only viable option at this point is the infotainment upgrade.

Reactions: Wanderer

I had frequent black screens and hangs. All better now. I did the upgrade and new tuner.

There is an option to just replace the eMMC memory. It was recalled but the repair is trickling out slowly. It’s supposed to help a lot of the problems.

2017 S enhanced auto pilot and upgraded MCU. IMO it was the best thing I've done, not even close. Just my experience, it's way more responsive, and haven't had a single issue. Before the upgrade I felt the MCU was a little slow and buggy. Also, for some reason, feel since the last update, the streaming channels connect very fast, almost like changing channels on a radio (not quite but close). Any way, I know its not cheap, but for me it was money well spent.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Hello TMC! I used to spend a lot of time on this forum many years ago. Good to be back.

I've got a 2013 S, VIN around about 10,000. Oldie but goodie. Tesla got in touch to say that my old 3G service would soon be shut down by the cell carriers, so I had to pay $500 to upgrade to 4G to keep connectivity. They were suggesting that I do a full infotainment upgrade for $1800. Plus another $500 if I want to keep my FM radio, which I do. So, $2300 before taxes.

Thanks for your thoughts.
My input from another post where a person was approved for the eMMC recall vs doing full MCU2 upgrade. If you have already had the 8GB to 64GB eMMC work performed, this may not apply to you (and the first point certainly doesn't since you are already outside your 8yr window).

My opinion (and consistent with the steps I've personally taken with our AP1 85D):

1) If you do NOT plan to keep the car outside of the 8-yr battery warranty, I'd do the eMMC upgrade.

2) If you DO plan to keep the car past the 8-yr battery warranty mark, and you have NOT replaced your center screen or instrument cluster for bubbles/leaking glue, I'd do the MCU2+LTE(+FM) upgrade.

3) If you DO plan to keep the car past the 8-yr battery warranty mark, and you HAVE replaced your center screen or instrument cluster to the updated "won't leak, will just yellow" displays:

3a) If you DON'T plan to use any new MCU2 functionality AND you don't use voice recognition for nav/txting frequently, I'd do the eMMC upgrade only.

3b) If you DO plan to use any new MCU2 functionality OR you DO use voice recognition for nav/txting frequently, I'd do the MCU2+LTE(+FM) upgrade.

I got MCU2 Infotainment upgrade on my 2016 model S. It's a little faster and it has a few more bells and whistles, but my charging display on the main display all of a sudden has very little info. It does display above the steering wheel, but no on the center panel. Is this supposed to be the case or what?

Reactions: GTi_roadkill
I got MCU2 Infotainment upgrade on my 2016 model S. It's a little faster and it has a few more bells and whistles, but my charging display on the main display all of a sudden has very little info. It does display above the steering wheel, but no on the center panel. Is this supposed to be the case or what?
You likely got a big jump in firmware versions along with your mcu update.

The Emmu replacement was junk. Both my screens were leaking bad. The infotainment upgrade was great. I had issue getting on WiFi, but help desk fixed that. I got update for SW on Saturday morning and update on Nav on Monday. It's really an improvement . Best $1600 I ever spent on car.

Welcome back.
The upgrade is worth it in my opinion, as I plan to keep mine for a long time and it makes it feel brand new.
The reactivity of the screens and the added features, beside the fun parts, are worth it.

But I’m wondering what kind of price they told you.
It’s 1500$ without radio module. And indeed 500$ more for that module.

See here for prices and features.

This upgrade replaces both screens (IC and MCU) and indeed the computer behind. It does include the 4G/LTE.

Nothing more to change to get up to speed with what any S has up to 2020.

How much did you pay for the Upgrade, $1500 +tx? I have a 2014 P85D with MCU1 and they are quoting me $1500 plus additional $260 to install a jumper harness. No where on the Infotainment Upgrade page does it mention the extra cost.

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 9.58.15 PM.png