Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infrequent Maintenance points for MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that there is essentially no scheduled services for Teslas, has anyone started their own routine for such items as lubricating door hinges, trunk/frunk latches etc? How about those moving parts in the FWDs? Simple items.

Thanks for comments and directions.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhorn
My most important maintenance is Rain-X in the washer fluid tank. Heavy rain and I barely need the wipers (but I use them anyway). I won't let Tesla refill that tank ever, as their stuff just makes water streak.

You need to power down the car weekly according to my service tech conversations. The car is a computer and all computers benefit from re-boots. Two ways to reboot. Double scroll wheel and also turning the car off via the panel, and my tech recommends both on a routine basis.

Check your tire pressures and wear patterns weekly. Make sure alignment is good.

I like Silicon spray for rubber, but I admit I have not used it yet on my 2017 P100D.

Inspect and clean all camera lenses before every drive. Have them pull the screens off the B-Pillar cameras to prevent fogging, as per recent service bulletin, according to a tech.

Brake fluid yearly changes, as even the 75D is really a high performance car when compared to almost anything else on the road.

Febreeze on aftermarket carpet mats (not the carpets) at least every 3 months as odors build up. I have rubber mats on top of factory mats, and I pull them all out and vacuum every season to prevent odor buildup and prevent damage from dirt that gets trapped between layers.

Yearly A/C pressure test to ensure I'm not gonna sweat in the Summer.

Every 3 year Hepa Filter replacements.

Have them check the 24 Volt battery at least yearly... Mine failed at 2 years.

I have Fix-A-Flat cans in my car with rubber plugs in case I'm in the middle of nowhere and I need to fix an issue. Replace those cans every 2-3 years. I have a mechanical pressure sensor, but if yours is battery operated then check the battery every season.

Make sure you have a spare fuse set in the car.

Every season I have my kids hit the directionals and the brakes while I walk around and make sure the lights work.

Make sure your flashlight batteries are good in your emergency kit if you have one.

Always make sure lug nuts did not loosen over time. Putting foot on each tire and rocking the car with that foot works. I do that weekly.

Make sure you replace the battery on your key fobs every 2 years. Order them on Amazon as you will never find that size in the auto shoppe or supermarket.

Make sure water drainage holes on rear gate are free of crud monthly and make sure crud does not build up and block retractable spoiler monthly, if you have one.

Finally, I like to wave at the local gas stations daily as I pass by. (Does that count?)

My most important maintenance is Rain-X in the washer fluid tank. Heavy rain and I barely need the wipers (but I use them anyway). I won't let Tesla refill that tank ever, as their stuff just makes water streak.

You need to power down the car weekly according to my service tech conversations. The car is a computer and all computers benefit from re-boots. Two ways to reboot. Double scroll wheel and also turning the car off via the panel, and my tech recommends both on a routine basis.

Check your tire pressures and wear patterns weekly. Make sure alignment is good.

I like Silicon spray for rubber, but I admit I have not used it yet on my 2017 P100D.

Inspect and clean all camera lenses before every drive. Have them pull the screens off the B-Pillar cameras to prevent fogging, as per recent service bulletin, according to a tech.

Brake fluid yearly changes, as even the 75D is really a high performance car when compared to almost anything else on the road.

Febreeze on aftermarket carpet mats (not the carpets) at least every 3 months as odors build up. I have rubber mats on top of factory mats, and I pull them all out and vacuum every season to prevent odor buildup and prevent damage from dirt that gets trapped between layers.

I have Fix-A-Flat cans in my car with rubber plugs in case I'm in the middle of nowhere and I need to fix an issue. Replace those cans every 2-3 years. I have a mechanical pressure sensor, but if yours is battery operated then check the battery every season.

Every season I have my kids hit the directionals and the brakes while I walk around and make sure the lights work.

Make sure your flashlight batteries are good in your emergency kit if you have one.

Always make sure lug nuts did not loosen over time. Putting foot on each tire and rocking the car with that foot works. I do that weekly.

Make sure you replace the battery on your key fobs every 2 years. Order them on Amazon as you will never find that size in the auto shoppe or supermarket.

Make sure water drainage holes on rear gate are free of crud monthly and make sure crud does not build up and block retractable spoiler monthly, if you have one.

Finally, I like to wave at the local gas stations daily as I pass by. (Does that count?)

RE: Rain-X in reservoir, any issues with the wiper blades chattering on windshield? Also, 24 volt battery?

RE: Rain-X in reservoir, any issues with the wiper blades chattering on windshield? Also, 24 volt battery?

Wipers work great. No issues.

EDIT - It was a typo. re.: 24 Volt.

Battery is 12 V IIRC, AND in emergencies you can jumper the car to open doors and such with 12 Volt battery. I was working on my HMMWV and that is 24 Volt and my head cross circuited.... Sorry.

I am unable to edit my prior post, as is a peculiarity of this website, so now my mistake is immortalized for many years to come :/

Wipers work great. No issues.

EDIT - It was a typo. re.: 24 Volt.

Battery is 12 V IIRC, AND in emergencies you can jumper the car to open doors and such with 12 Volt battery. I was working on my HMMWV and that is 24 Volt and my head cross circuited.... Sorry.

I am unable to edit my prior post, as is a peculiarity of this website, so now my mistake is immortalized for many years to come :/
Thanks for your response. I've used Rain-X coating on other car windows and had that chatter, but will try the washer reservoir. :))

You need to power down the car weekly according to my service tech conversations. The car is a computer and all computers benefit from re-boots.
that's some BS advice here ;)
Next time you'll tell me "memory is like gas and you use it up as you use the computer, except you get it all back after you reboot"? ;)

Two ways to reboot. Double scroll wheel and also turning the car off via the panel, and my tech recommends both on a routine basis.
Fun fact, neither of these two would do a reboot of the infotainment node or the gateway on mcu2. Even on mcu1 you only get to reboot infotainment but not IC with a two-finger salute.

that's some BS advice here ;)
Next time you'll tell me "memory is like gas and you use it up as you use the computer, except you get it all back after you reboot"? ;)

Fun fact, neither of these two would do a reboot of the infotainment node or the gateway on mcu2. Even on mcu1 you only get to reboot infotainment but not IC with a two-finger salute.

Several Tesla Techs and Tesla Main Offices troubleshooters have mentioned this to me. They were not just referring to just the double scroll reset, they were also referring to the main screen shutdown. They (at least three people I spoke with on 3 separate occasions) all specifically mentioned both. Your mileage may vary.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Several Tesla Techs and Tesla Main Offices troubleshooters have mentioned this to me. They were not just referring to just the double scroll reset, they were also referring to the main screen shutdown. They (at least three people I spoke with on 3 separate occasions) all specifically mentioned both. Your mileage may vary.
Allow me to agree with you completely. I had mobile service out today and it happened to be a very senior two person unit because of the next call they were going to. I took the opportunity ask them a wide open question: "What is the one piece of advice you would give me about my Tesla?" With no hesitation they both responded that if I have a mysterious problem to do a double scroll wheel reset.

Reactions: TOBASH
obviously if you have problems - a reboot (hint for mcu2 owners, also press brake pedal) is one of the first things people on the front lines of support want you to do because they can't fix the actual bug and just want to clear the symptoms and get you off the line faster because it improves their metrics or whatever.

But rebooting the systems just because is not something that you should be doing in my opinion.

RE: Rain-X in reservoir

I put Rain-X directly on my windshield and *buff* it off. For my reservoir, I use the below.
Winshield-Washer-Fluid_2-in-1-All-Season-25-Degrees.png

Reactions: TOBASH
Originally you had to use the stuff you applied directly and buffed off. I no longer use that because the Rain-X windshield washer fluid is so successful. I stopped with the stuff you directly apply and buff off over 15 years or so ago.
Thanks for clarifying. To my your comment "My most important maintenance is Rain-X in the washer fluid tank." implied you used the original Rain-X and NOT the Rain-X washer fluid. HTH

obviously if you have problems - a reboot (hint for mcu2 owners, also press brake pedal) is one of the first things people on the front lines of support want you to do because they can't fix the actual bug and just want to clear the symptoms and get you off the line faster because it improves their metrics or whatever.

But rebooting the systems just because is not something that you should be doing in my opinion.

We can go back and forth on this over and over as you try to defend your point, BUT unless you work for Tesla I will choose their advice every time over third parties.

I won't respond further as you're probably a good guy and I don't want to appear snippy.

From Model X user manual.

Caution: Do not add formulated washer f luids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises

I see people say this over and over, and I'm curious... As per who? I use Rain-X faithfully, and it is quite easily the best auto product I have ever seen, aside from perhaps selecting proper automobile tires.

On all my vehicles from 1981 Landcruiser Diesel to 2016 BMW 6X-M Performance Package, Model X, to my Durango which I have owned 15 years, I have NEVER heard or seen a problem with Rain-X. Neither has anyone in my extended family, with Saabs, Mercedes, Jeep, Dodge, Toyota, Ford, military HMMWV, GMC, and probably many others.

I own my Roadster since 2013, and my Model X new since 2017, and NEVER had an issue. So where do you get this information?

[I do not sell nor am I affiliated with Rain-X. It is just the one product that I find truly amazing and that truly lives up to its advertising. IMHO]