Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insane+ on P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster, but big fan :)

I just noticed that Insane+ was added to my MS P85D. I have not been able to find any information online about it so I reaching out the the experts here.

What does Insane+ add over Insane? More power? Lower 0-60? Any specs?

Thanks in advance!

2019-04-04

Reactions: MC408 and glide
First time poster, but big fan :)

I just noticed that Insane+ was added to my MS P85D. I have not been able to find any information online about it so I reaching out the the experts here.

What does Insane+ add over Insane? More power? Lower 0-60? Any specs?

Thanks in advance!

2019-04-04

It's just like ludicrous+ on my P100D. You select insane+ and a sub menu pops up asking you if you want to enable maximum battery power. You can x out of that option, but if you select maximum battery power, it starts warming up your battery and gives you an approximate time till maximum battery power is available. Once max battery power has been obtained, you can go into launch mode and you will get the maximum power applied to your wheels giving you the lowest 0-60 times your car is capable of.

My understanding is that it's just an easier way to activate Max Battery mode.
It's just like ludicrous+ on my P100D. You select insane+ and a sub menu pops up asking you if you want to enable maximum battery power. You can x out of that option, but if you select maximum battery power, it starts warming up your battery and gives you an approximate time till maximum battery power is available. Once max battery power has been obtained, you can go into launch mode and you will get the maximum power applied to your wheels giving you the lowest 0-60 times your car is capable of.

Ah this makes total sense! I see that the "Max Battery Power" button is no longer there.

I appreciate you guys clearing this up!

Hmmm... I wonder what you get if your P85D has the Ludicrous upgrade? I'm also stuck on 2018.50.6, but I look forward to finding out.

I think we'll get Ludicrous + on our Ludicrous P85D's just like the P100D owners did.

FYI my 2015
P85D+ (Plus Suspension) is still on 2018.50.6 here too. Once 2019.8.2 gets installed, I'll guess we'll have Ludicrous + P85D+'s making them even more Unicorn-y Teslas. Sweet !!!

P85DL+.jpg

I think we'll get Ludicrous + on our Ludicrous P85D's just like the P100D owners did.

FYI my 2015
P85D+ (Plus Suspension) is still on 2018.50.6 here too. Once 2019.8.2 gets installed, I'll guess we'll have Ludicrous + P85D+'s making them even more Unicorn-y Teslas. Sweet !!!

View attachment 393768

Did you add that 'plus' emblem? If so where did you get it? I have the plus suspension too on my P85D but don't have that emblem.

What’s “launch mode”?

What’s “launch mode”?

To support Max Battery Power, the
charge level must be 20% or higher. You
cannot initiate Max Battery Power if the
charge level is less than 20%. In addition, Max
Battery Power immediately cancels if at any
time during its use, the charge level drops
below 20%.
1. Set the acceleration level to Insane or
Ludicrous and enable Max Battery Power
(described in my earlier post).
Note: You can use Launch Mode
immediately after enabling Max Battery
Power. There is no need to wait until Max
Battery Power is in its READY state.
2. With Model S shifted into Drive and at a
complete stop with the steering wheel
straight, fully press the brake pedal with
your left foot.
3. While still pressing the brake with your left
foot, fully press the accelerator pedal with
your right foot, then release the
accelerator pedal. The instrument panel
displays a message indicating that Launch
Mode is enabled.
4. Within eight seconds, fully press the
accelerator pedal a second time to preload
motor torque, then within four
seconds, release the brake.
When you release the brake, Model S launches
forward.
Note: Launch Mode is not available if Slip Start
has been enabled (i.e. wheels can spin).
Note: Launch Mode is available only if the
ambient temperature is 37° F (3° C) or
warmer.

As noted above. In mine it heats up the batteries but doesnt show the status on where the battery is at though. I still need to hold Ludicrous/Insane mode button for 5 seconds. Go into the starship screen and then is allows you to see how hot the battery is on the screen above the steering wheel.