Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service thing concerns me for future profitability. Granted, I am in one of the forbidden states, but, they trailered my car both ways, paid for a rental loaner for 2 weeks, and paid a body shop to repaint some spots because they didn't do it well the first time. In general, I am happy with the service, but, man, with the number of cars they are moving, this is very cost ineffective, especially when they offer sending out a ranger for such minor things. In my case, unless they have rangers based locally, it is a 7 hour round trip to the nearest delivery center.

Reactions: N5329K
Yup.... Production hell because they had no idea how to make 5k+ cars a week and planned poorly for it.... then delivery logistics hell because they had no idea how to delivery 5k+ cars a week and planned virtually not at all for it.... and now many reports we're moving on to service hell where people go weeks or months for repairs because they have no idea how to service this # of cars and planned virtually not at all for it.

Awesome product. Clown car planning around it.

Yup.... Production hell because they had no idea how to make 5k+ cars a week and planned poorly for it.... then delivery logistics hell because they had no idea how to delivery 5k+ cars a week and planned virtually not at all for it.... and now many reports we're moving on to service hell where people go weeks or months for repairs because they have no idea how to service this # of cars and planned virtually not at all for it.

Awesome product. Clown car planning around it.

The service one is my biggest fear .....

The service thing concerns me for future profitability. Granted, I am in one of the forbidden states, but, they trailered my car both ways, paid for a rental loaner for 2 weeks, and paid a body shop to repaint some spots because they didn't do it well the first time. In general, I am happy with the service, but, man, with the number of cars they are moving, this is very cost ineffective, especially when they offer sending out a ranger for such minor things. In my case, unless they have rangers based locally, it is a 7 hour round trip to the nearest delivery center.

I think that is the point of the rangers. They don't need to originate from a service center or delivery center. You can have many more rangers than service centers. The service center could be four hours from you but a ranger could be 20 minutes away.

In a call with my local SC today, they offered Mobile Service to my home to repair my blinker issue.

At that point, I asked if I could also order 2 additional Key Cards and the response was “Absolutlely, and if you’d also like to get a Key Fob we can have Mobile Service bring it out to you on the repair call, it’s $15 if you’d like to add it.”

And just today Tesla wrote me back telling me "Tesla currently does not offer a keyfob for the Model 3."

:(

They don't.

At $15 what they're offering that person are more key cards.

@Knightshade the Key Cards were $5 each so I ordered 2 and the Fob was $15 so I ordered 1 for $25 + tax. In full disclosure, I haven’t received them yet because I’m still waiting for the Mobile Service, but this was what the Service Advisor ordered for me. Also, I didn’t ask for it, she offered the fob option.

@Hank42 I linked an article from Electrek a few posts up, and there’s a screenshot of the center console release notes for v.42 in a separate thread showing the pairing of phone/card/fob so I would call your local SC or email back asking if the information they sent you is already dated.

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

@Knightshade the Key Cards were $5 each so I ordered 2 and the Fob was $15 so I ordered 1 for $25 + tax. In full disclosure, I haven’t received them yet because I’m still waiting for the Mobile Service, but this was what the Service Advisor ordered for me. Also, I didn’t ask for it, she offered the fob option.

@Hank42 I linked an article from Electrek a few posts up, and there’s a screenshot of the center console release notes for v.42 in a separate thread showing the pairing of phone/card/fob so I would call your local SC or email back asking if the information they sent you is already dated.

Thanks - I tried the SC just now:
"you (owners) know more than we do - best chance is to write to [email protected]"
So around the merry-go round we go. Oh well, not like this is a critical issue. Just funny how information disseminates.

Did you get an invoice? Could be useful for others seeking fobs as well.

Thanks - I tried the SC just now:
"you (owners) know more than we do - best chance is to write to [email protected]"
So around the merry-go round we go. Oh well, not like this is a critical issue. Just funny how information disseminates.

Really there is no point in bothering Tesla about this until your car has the 2018.42.x update that supports Model 3 fobs. Please stop wasting their time.