Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was quoted $150 per key today when I asked about ordering. They also said I'd be charged for labor while programming the fob. I don't mind the charge if they're doing work. But given how backed up the service centers are, really think it's a mistake to implement the fobs in a way that requires a tech's time.
Wow. So the current range of potential prices (as reported by posters who say they actually got quotes from a Tesla service rep) for this Fob is between $15 and $150. Quite a spread.

Actually your post brought up a point I hadn't considered - my Model S would turn on when I approached even without touching it. This resulted in sometimes the bluetooth on my phone getting "hijacked." The Model 3 doesn't do that.

As much as I like the phone as key functionality I am welcoming the fob coming. If I have to pay for it I will just get one so I can have it around for when others must use my car or possibly for valet use (but I think the card in a holder with some directions stuck on it will work for the few times I valet). As much as I love the future I can't say the same for my family who at times is befuddled by the whole phone vs. keycard stuff.

It also would be nice to be able to trigger the doors and the frunk unlocked (in case of frunk opened) blindly with the fob in your pocket. Not the end of the world to not be able to do that but it would be nice.

Also for the people that have not been getting the phone as key to work well the fob will be very welcome I imagine. I've been fortunate enough to have a seamless experience with my phone.

Thanks for the info. Are you able to open the trunk after the Model 3 recognizes your phone or is it only unlocking the door?

Walk up unlock was removed causing charge port to never auto unlock? I swear the charge port will release when I press the button on the plug about 5% of the time (the rest being partial to total failures of phone-as-key anyways, maybe pressing the rear door handle unlocks, maybe it just wakes the car and it tells me to use my RFID card ... maybe it makes a bunch of clunking noises and a few seconds works)

Yeah I always have to press the door handle to unlock the car to be able to remove the charge handle. I find that annoying, and hope they fix it so pressing the unlock on the charging handle unlocks the charging port.

Reactions: Omniver
Yeah I always have to press the door handle to unlock the car to be able to remove the charge handle. I find that annoying, and hope they fix it so pressing the unlock on the charging handle unlocks the charging port.
It worked for me again today. I thought I was going to have to hit the door but right as I was reaching for it I heard the car start to wake up, and I tried the handle a second time and it worked.

Still batting way below even walk up unlock using key-as-phone for the doors themselves, but it's not 0% success.

Especially relevant for the removing the charger bit for example- now you have to touch the handle to unlock the car first.

Walk up unlock was removed causing charge port to never auto unlock? I swear the charge port will release when I press the button on the plug about 5% of the time (the rest being partial to total failures of phone-as-key anyways, maybe pressing the rear door handle unlocks, maybe it just wakes the car and it tells me to use my RFID card ... maybe it makes a bunch of clunking noises and a few seconds works)
Weird that people are seeing different behavior with unlocking the charge port vs the door (ie, even if your phone works to open the door, it doesn't allow the charge port to unlock). I've never had to press on the door handle before removing the charging wand. Once or twice it took a couple seconds, but the vast majority of time the Tesla logo turns white as soon as I press and hold the button on the wand.

Weird that people are seeing different behavior with unlocking the charge port vs the door (ie, even if your phone works to open the door, it doesn't allow the charge port to unlock). I've never had to press on the door handle before removing the charging wand. Once or twice it took a couple seconds, but the vast majority of time the Tesla logo turns white as soon as I press and hold the button on the wand.

It only does that when your car is sleeping. So either your car never sleep or whenever you unplug your connector, you just finished charging or still not charge to the set limit.

It only does that when your car is sleeping. So either your car never sleep or whenever you unplug your connector, you just finished charging or still not charge to the set limit.
Most of the time I plug in when I get home from work (~6:00), it finishes charging no later than 9 or 10, and I don't unplug it until the next morning. I would assume it's asleep since I rarely use the app or do anything that would wake it up.

Most of the time I plug in when I get home from work (~6:00), it finishes charging no later than 9 or 10, and I don't unplug it until the next morning. I would assume it's asleep since I rarely use the app or do anything that would wake it up.

That's odd. Because both of my 2 coworkers and I noticed that we had to open up the trunk/door in order for the button on the wand to work. I tried holding the button down and nothing happens when the car is asleep. Do you have some kind of 3rd party app that poll data from the car to keep waking it up?

That's odd. Because both of my 2 coworkers and I noticed that we had to open up the trunk/door in order for the button on the wand to work. I tried holding the button down and nothing happens when the car is asleep. Do you have some kind of 3rd party app that poll data from the car to keep waking it up?
The only third party app I have is Remote S, but I'm pretty sure that only polls the car when the app is opened. Plus I just downloaded it a couple weeks ago, so it wouldn't explain the 4 prior weeks when everything worked.

Is there anyway to tell if the car is asleep without waking it up or is it like Schrödinger's cat?