Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install day but crew left??? not sure this was worth it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was scheduled for today for a solar installation. I live in south florida and have a clay tile roof. Pretty common in this part of the country.

Anyways they get on my roof and start removing tiles. Then ask if I have replacement and the next thing I know they stopped and cleaned everything up. Said they can't remove the tiles without breaking. I will be getting another proposal. Said they never seen clay tiles installed with the glue before?????

Around here we have ton's of clay and concrete tile and everyone is installed the same way.

I supposed to get a new proposal and I am now need to check on my roof because they ripped up a bunch of tiles an replaced them.

If they charge me more for the install I going to cancel. 3 months wasted and other installers are busy so it will be after the new year and I will not get the credit then. I guess I should have went with a local installer.

Thats really weird. I'm in south florida as well and just finished the other day with our 11.34kw system on our concrete tile roof... in fact I was under the impression they were glued, but came to find out they were in fact nailed in. The installers said the glue would have been easier to remove... took them over 4 days to finish. They will be back Friday to replace the broken tiles.

It’s certainly an unfortunate situation and it’s gotta be quite disappointing too. But in the end it seems like your roof is installed in a weird way. It will be interesting to see what they come back with on the new proposal. This is definitely one of the disadvantages to Tesla’s assembly line cookie cutter model. They don’t often do site visits prior to install day, so it’s not unheard of for them to come out on install day and discover a problem like this that causes them to postpone or cancel the install. There was another post recently where someone had Tesla show up to do an install and then leave because their roof tiles didn’t weigh enough.

This type of issue is certainly less likely to be a problem with a local installer because they will typically do a site visit and do more prep work to make sure that they are really able to do everything they promise. Of course the drawback to a local installer is price. Even though you might be able to get a system done before the end of the year with a local installer and get an extra 4% back from the tax credit I suspect that you will probably pay well more than 4% more for the system. As flawed as Tesla’s model is it does help them to keep the price way down. Unfortunately it means that there will be situations like this and some people will be unhappy.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
I have never seen a clay tile roof that was glued down. Maybe it is something they do in Florida because of hurricanes. They put in a couple of nails at the top here.

Was the crew local? They had crews from all over (Florida, Buffalo, etc.) installing solar roofs here. We were one of the few installs last Winter that had a local crew.

It’s certainly an unfortunate situation and it’s gotta be quite disappointing too. But in the end it seems like your roof is installed in a weird way. It will be interesting to see what they come back with on the new proposal. This is definitely one of the disadvantages to Tesla’s assembly line cookie cutter model. They don’t often do site visits prior to install day, so it’s not unheard of for them to come out on install day and discover a problem like this that causes them to postpone or cancel the install. There was another post recently where someone had Tesla show up to do an install and then leave because their roof tiles didn’t weigh enough.

This type of issue is certainly less likely to be a problem with a local installer because they will typically do a site visit and do more prep work to make sure that they are really able to do everything they promise. Of course the drawback to a local installer is price. Even though you might be able to get a system done before the end of the year with a local installer and get an extra 4% back from the tax credit I suspect that you will probably pay well more than 4% more for the system. As flawed as Tesla’s model is it does help them to keep the price way down. Unfortunately it means that there will be situations like this and some people will be unhappy.

The roof is not a weird install at all I live in south florida so they use expanding foam on all of the roofs. It's given that tiles that tiles will be broken they also easily replaced. I got the impression the crew was not used of doing florida installs and might have been from out of state. We are after all at the end of the quarter and they called me to move it up.

The truck had MA plates on it.

Our installers again in South florida say they basically only do tile homes and metal standing seam roofs.. also foam for tile is a new thing... less roof penetraions... also south florida building codes are the strictest in the country for hurricane purposes. Once the tiles go down they don't come up without a fight. We also have two layers of underlayment as well...

P.s. must have been a different crew them mine as my guys were all locals except for powerwall guys. They were recruited from Connecticut. The rest were all solar city guys.

I just called my rep I was told they need to replace the roof and will not just replace the tiles. I don't know if I am getting wrong advice but something is not right. I also told i am liable for expenses they spent on the project.

If that is the case I will sue them. Can't believe how bad this is from Tesla. They didn't even put the tiles back correct. They need to be sending people out and doing real quotes on what they do not doing half the work and run off a project.

I am supposed to get a proposal from them. This is total bait and switch.

How old is your tile roof? Can't be to old if you are saying it is foamed on. Now I guess if they foamed the whole tile and bottom lip. I could see the crew having issues removing them... I said this before hurricane code is a bitch in s.florida. those tiles are not meant to come off ever. Most people around the country don't understand the roof is meant for over 150+ mph winds on all new construction. They even use roof tie downs poured into the top of the cmu block. Sucks either way.

My roof is only 5 or 6 years old and is has the latest codes so yes we can survive 150 mph wind. I have extra tile and we can get extra tile.

This is a very common install in here in South Florida. I understand they have to break maybe 100 tiles but as I said getting replacements should not be an issue. Shouldn't even cost that much to buy new. Even it the color is off I guarantee that with the mold it match in a few months anyways. To be honest I doubt you would even see them. We have to pressure wash our tiles every few years anyways. The tiles will actually be turn black from red in about 2 years.

Now to say they need to put a whole new roof on is just stupid. If this roof is an issue then Tesla is going to not be installing many systems in south florida.

Some these advisors also need to understand no install means FULL REFUND. Not I pay for their mistakes and end paying for permits, and cost of employees to not finish.

We will see what the proposal is but I want people to be warned there is a bait and switch going on.

Reactions: kayak1
How much have you paid them so far? I assume since they didn't even do a first day install it's only the $100 deposit so far which has gone towards the design, layout, permits and various worktime. Not sure but thought it was non-refundable and applied towards your purchase if it goes forward. We are having our inspection tomorrow so almost done and I know they do quite a lot for the $100 before you pay your first payment.

It sounds like the install team had a legit problem with install if they were going to have to rip up the roof and break all the tiles to install the type of tile anchors needed for their panels. Possibly this team wasn't trained to work on that type of roof so couldn't. Can't say I've ever heard anyone on here who when the install team came out and couldn't do the install say to the homeowner that the homeowner had to reimburse them for permits (owner can contact city and get cancelled btw) and workers time. The $100 was earned on their part. I assume they brought out all the panels and equipment to do the work so can't imagine they wouldn't have if they could. On the forum we've seen lots of installs across the US and only a few posts where people were unfortunately told they couldn't do the install. If you have neighbors who have had their systems installed, might want to check with them and see if they had a similar roof and who did the work.

I do think if they broke tiles they should be obligated to either fix them or reimburse you for the ones that were damaged.

It's seems like a lot people just don't get what is so wrong about how this handled. So here is what is going on.

The installers showed up very little interaction I found the Forman and confirmed the details. The contractor did not seem like they were local. They didn't have really any documents on the house. I had to look on a phone to confirm the details. I was sort of concerned but let them proceed.

Second I am inside after they start work a few hours go by and they are ripping off tiles in the wrong section of the house. Go out and they made a mistake.

Third they continue woking on the house and the next thing I know they are packing everything up. I had to go out and all I got from the install team is we have to do a difference design.

I hear nothing from anyone call my rep who of course doesn't answer and I finally get through to another rep who tells me they need to replace the roof and I will have to pay if I cancel.

Honestly I am sort of shocked and can't believe any contractor would deal this way. At the very least they should be inspecting jobs before they commence work.

I am posting this because I am seeing various reports of the same thing going on. Basically Tesla is selling a Solar System for a low price but the actual costs are very different after install. They can't hold you to a contract they can't produce but seem to want to make it seem like they can.

Honestly. The crew who was on your roof, was the same that did mine. They were great and nice to work with. They definitely knew what they were doing.... they were all local for the most part... two from sunrise, one from delray and the others I didnt catch. It has taken them 4 days to put up an 11kw array. They will be on my roof for atleast another two days making it look good. They had a quality assurance person go on it already as well as a local boss. So I honestly think it was bad communication or just a mistake... but to have to rip up and break tiles to install your array definitely says they weren't meant to come up again in one piece. Down here they completely remove the tile and use a metal tile replacement with a special tile hook and lag bolt.. if they can't get the metal tile under the rest of the existing tiles then they can't use that system... I think your issue should be brought to corporate and less dogging the installers.

Honestly. The crew who was on your roof, was the same that did mine. They were great and nice to work with. They definitely knew what they were doing.... they were all local for the most part... two from sunrise, one from delray and the others I didnt catch. It has taken them 4 days to put up an 11kw array. They will be on my roof for atleast another two days making it look good. They had a quality assurance person go on it already as well as a local boss. So I honestly think it was bad communication or just a mistake... but to have to rip up and break tiles to install your array definitely says they weren't meant to come up again in one piece. Down here they completely remove the tile and use a metal tile replacement with a special tile hook and lag bolt.. if they can't get the metal tile under the rest of the existing tiles then they can't use that system... I think your issue should be brought to corporate and less dogging the installers.

Actually my issue is more with corporate but you shouldn't just assume they are the same guys. I was told tesla has multiple crews in the area when they scheduled this.

I was not kept in the loop very much and it's not a good situation this all on the installers. They also left what looks like loose tiles on my roof and it may be leaking too now. Still have no official word from tesla either.

I have multiple properties and all my neighbors all have the same installation with concrete tiles so this is not something that is a weird install. If things cost more I am fine with that and they should have been upfront when doing the plans. I am not fine with them telling me one price and then showing up on installation day and changing things. They should be inspecting sites prior to this.

Last edited:
In my area of Calif. I was told recently that they have 5 teams doing installs.

OP I think you need to get an installation supervisor out to your property to go up on the roof as soon as possible. Understand your issues better now. I’d say forget trying to reach an assigned advisor if you have no luck speaking to him/her in person when you call and instead reach out anyone you can at this point (instead of waiting for a call back) and request to speak with the installation supervisor for your project. If you haven’t already I would also send a short email saying there was a problem the day of your install and need a supervisor to contact you. Helps documenting your attempts to reach someone. Sorry you are going through this. As far as I know from the boards this is a unique roofing issue so don’t know of anyone to point you to on here for how theirs might have been resolved.

Last edited:
I still haven't heard anything from Tesla.

In the mean time I talked to a few local installers they all use a product called solar-stack which is for local building codes. I emailed Tesla about it and see what there response it.

I was told also the other method actually may not be up to code. Don't know but these were also guys that do roofs in south florida. For those that don't know south florida has very different building codes.

Home | Noninvasive Solar Panel Mounting | Solar Stack

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
It's been a week and still nothing from Tesla about what is going on????

At this point I would tell everyone to avoid Tesla energy for installing solar panels. You better off with a local installer. If I had put a big chunk of money down I would be calling the state and making a claim on there bond.

I'm going to give them another week to respond and give me a final price if I do not here from I will have to cancel everything and make claims against them since I have seen they recorded a lien on my property.

Last edited:
Still nothing from them. Interesting is I heard from Mosaic that I going to have to pay on the loan without install. I tried contacting tesla and there silent no quote and just nothing from them. So I guess I need to file a complaint to get their attention.

No way to treat a customer.

Sorry to hear you're running into all these problems... hopefully the tiles they broke aren't exposing your underlayment to any direct rain.

I think what you're dealing with is a direct result of Tesla going bare-bones on their cost structure. They don't have the ability to deal with edge cases and the Solar employees are probably just told to let the Legal department handle things from here.

If you're up for it, you can look into submitting a small claims filing in Florida against Tesla Inc for detrimental reliance (promissory estoppel) in relation to the opportunity cost of the decreased federal tax rebate for 2021 vs 2020 and initial deposit.

You have transacted money, made actions based on Tesla's promises, and suffer damage as a result.

Worst case is you're out another amount related to the small claims filing and then we see an article on Electrek - EV and Tesla News, Green Energy, Ebikes, and more about Tesla's shoddy business practices

Best case Tesla gets you some money. Unfortunately with Tesla's bottom-barrel service practices... It's easier to collect a summary judgement from Corporate Accounts Payable than it is to get a response from Tesla once things go sideways.

Last edited: