Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed! Austin MY C Pillars for Parcel Shelf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not that hard if you remove the bottom trim, but if you want to do it without removing the bottom trim it will be quite the task since the opening to access the bolt does not line up with the bolt and so it is almost impossible to get the socket lined up unless you have specific tools.

I would recommend taking apart the bottom portion of the trunk area.. I wish i took some pictures but I was so into trying to finsh i forgot..

here is a thread on how I removed the bottom trim:

Once you remove the trim to access that panel, you need to go to the rear door area and remove the weather stripping and then you can yank the whole panel off and then be able to access the bolt easily.

This is important as you need to tighten and torque the bolt and align the seat belt anchor correctly.
Thanks for the link and instructions! Sounds like 2 more panels need to be removed. Not too bad. I got a whole lot of plastic pry tools from my BMW days so i should be set for that.

my only issue with the center / mobile doing it is that they tend to break a lot of clips and ignore it, just a fyi, I had a rear trunk rattle and he pulled apart the back trim and snapped off some parts and said that they were not needed.... I was pissed to say the least

also had a door rattle and they just put blue tape on everything... like really ( rattle wasn't even fixed )

my only issue with the center / mobile doing it is that they tend to break a lot of clips and ignore it, just a fyi, I had a rear trunk rattle and he pulled apart the back trim and snapped off some parts and said that they were not needed.... I was pissed to say the least

also had a door rattle and they just put blue tape on everything... like really ( rattle wasn't even fixed )
I experienced this with frunk battery cover. Had SC install the homelink and a few months later I went to install the auto frunk, the clip was ripped from the cover and stuck on the tub still. Luckily it was only one.

You also need the part number for the seatbelt bolt as that's not replaceable.

1661573740508-png.845710

1661573918902-png.845713
Have you actually done this retrofit? Because it’s the wrong part number and you’re highlighting the wrong area that needs to be replaced.

This is absolutely doable if you watch the Youtube video and take your time.
Few things to note from my side.
- Damn plastic clips may come off and drop making impossible to find. If it's the circular pointy ones you can reuse from the old panel. But if you drop the wedgie looking ones you will be SOL. Wedgie ones are used to clip the bottom panel to the top panel which you are installing. Just make sure to take note of them when you are unclipping and grab them beforehand if you can.
- I didn't know where the seat belt bolt is located. They are not under the seat. They are off to the side near the door frame. If you unclip the bottom panels off the door frame you will have a good access. See my pics.
When you clip them back it is quite tough to realign the clips. Take your time and realign the guiding plastic point first.
- Seat belt bolts can definitely be reused. After the removal, clean off debris and apply some loctite and bolt it back in.

Attachments

• 68AC0012-31B5-40CE-AE07-4D39D5F3035C.jpeg
    68AC0012-31B5-40CE-AE07-4D39D5F3035C.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 8CC9CB1E-51A3-435D-B500-87CBA13BC75E.jpeg
    8CC9CB1E-51A3-435D-B500-87CBA13BC75E.jpeg
    749.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 0756E2FE-8566-4DF2-958A-54F88D8B8B0A.jpeg
    0756E2FE-8566-4DF2-958A-54F88D8B8B0A.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 160
This is absolutely doable if you watch the Youtube video and take your time.
Few things to note from my side.
- Damn plastic clips may come off and drop making impossible to find. If it's the circular pointy ones you can reuse from the old panel. But if you drop the wedgie looking ones you will be SOL. Wedgie ones are used to clip the bottom panel to the top panel which you are installing. Just make sure to take note of them when you are unclipping and grab them beforehand if you can.
- I didn't know where the seat belt bolt is located. They are not under the seat. They are off to the side near the door frame. If you unclip the bottom panels off the door frame you will have a good access. See my pics.
When you clip them back it is quite tough to realign the clips. Take your time and realign the guiding plastic point first.
- Seat belt bolts can definitely be reused. After the removal, clean off debris and apply some loctite and bolt it back in.
Can you list the tools you used, I'm ready to go just want to make sure and can you link any videos you watched

Could you reccomend a extending arm from Amazon thanks
Not sure which drive size you use but if you are using 1/2 socket, you sh8uld have something like this.

MAXPOWER 3pc 1/2" Drive Extension Bar Set - 3" 5“ and 10" Industrial Grade Extention for Socket Wrench Set, Perfect for Narrow and Deep Areas MAXPOWER 3pc 1/2" Drive Extension Bar Set - 3" 5“ and 10" Industrial Grade Extention for Socket Wrench Set, Perfect for Narrow and Deep Areas : Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

Reactions: Hamtaro7
My parts just got pushed back for like a 5th time. LOL.
After getting pushed back 4x, I finally got *some* of the parts. I got the left pillar and shelf, but the right pillar was still being shipped. Then the person at the service center marked it as completed and they closed the request. So, now I'm waiting on them to look at the new request and hopefully that right pillar did actually get shipped and maybe I can just go pick it up tomorrow.

Mobile service installed mine free of charge yesterday.
Did you just order the parts via a service request and pay then? If they are delivered via mobile service I've had lots of luck with them doing small things for you if you're chill about it.

I had removed a panel when installing soundproofing on my Model 3 and broke one of the clips. They were out to fix a different issue and I asked if they had a replacement clip but the tech removed the panel himself, replaced a few damaged clips, and reinstalled it for me without any fuss.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Did you just order the parts via a service request and pay then? If they are delivered via mobile service I've had lots of luck with them doing small things for you if you're chill about it.

I had removed a panel when installing soundproofing on my Model 3 and broke one of the clips. They were out to fix a different issue and I asked if they had a replacement clip but the tech removed the panel himself, replaced a few damaged clips, and reinstalled it for me without any fuss.

I have a good relationship with my whole service center. I’m sure that played a major role in getting it done, but I was willing to pay. After the tech came the invoice just read 0.00.

I ordered and picked up in person and mentioned that it would be my weekend project but if I can’t get it done I would make a service request.

With the heat wave in CA I didn’t even bother to attempt it.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I have a good relationship with my whole service center. I’m sure that played a major role in getting it done, but I was willing to pay. After the tech came the invoice just read 0.00.

I ordered and picked up in person and mentioned that it would be my weekend project but if I can’t get it done I would make a service request.

With the heat wave in CA I didn’t even bother to attempt it.
Wow, so it was a separate mobile service request specifically for installation and it was still free? That's awesome.

I've really liked every mobile service tech that has come by. I'm usually interested in what they are doing since I like to DiY and always ask them if they mind me hanging around and asking questions or if they are in a rush. I try to make it clear that I am not supervising their work or anything like that, just genuinely interested and they've all been really chill. Once I mention a few projects I've already done myself they seem to lighten up because I think they know I'm honestly interested.

Reactions: jjrandorin