Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed new courtesy lights on the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got these on eBay and installed them over the weekend on the M3 and the MX. They seems to be the ones that RPMTesla wanted to release but didn't. They are going for $28 and seems to be from a US seller.

One thing to note about this is that the housing opens up very easily - thru two or three installs and removals, the housing came apart but it is easily put back together. You may be tempted to glue it shut but you need it lose to rotate the orientation of the logo. I didn't bother with gluing even after orientation is perfect...

Below are photos in low-ambient and dark lighting.
20180825_215935.jpg
20180825_220010.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker and Kermee
Not the manufacturer.

Here is the eBay seller and the item, they sell a version with just the T as well.

Link

Did you have any difficulty installing these at all? Aside from the wires on the 3 being entirely too short, I would get the frustrated when I wanted to take the light back out and then the housing would come apart and half of it would get stuck inside the door panel. It was a struggle to take it out on the driver's side but was able to with a lot of effort. On the passenger side the housing wouldn't even fit. I couldn't push it in far enough to even close the door properly without fear of damaging the inside of the door. I have the "T" puddle lights and I noticed that the puddle lights on the 3 are set at an angle so when the puddle light is pushed in completely (on the driver's side) one side of the T is actually longer than the other. I had to leave one side of the light sticking out just a little bit in order for the T to look normal.

After all this and since I couldn't even get the light on the passenger side to push in enough for me to close the door, I threw my hands up in the air and just put the stock ones back in.

You’re having trouble with the lights you bought on eBay? I’m shocked.

Shocked!

I ordered some lights from RPM and a few from EV Tuning (which are abstract ocean.) I haven’t received the lights which is fine since I haven’t received the model 3 either.... will update later. Note that I did order one pair of the harness extensions which resolve the short length issue.

Did you have any difficulty installing these at all? Aside from the wires on the 3 being entirely too short, I would get the frustrated when I wanted to take the light back out and then the housing would come apart and half of it would get stuck inside the door panel. It was a struggle to take it out on the driver's side but was able to with a lot of effort. On the passenger side the housing wouldn't even fit. I couldn't push it in far enough to even close the door properly without fear of damaging the inside of the door. I have the "T" puddle lights and I noticed that the puddle lights on the 3 are set at an angle so when the puddle light is pushed in completely (on the driver's side) one side of the T is actually longer than the other. I had to leave one side of the light sticking out just a little bit in order for the T to look normal.

After all this and since I couldn't even get the light on the passenger side to push in enough for me to close the door, I threw my hands up in the air and just put the stock ones back in.

yep, I said in the OP that the housing easily comes off if you install and remove multiple times. once u have the logo aligned right u can put a dab of glue to keep it together

I don't have any issue with the fit to the door. the lights are deeper but only deeper. the fit to the opening should be exactly the same if u compare to the OE lights.

I doubt RPM or Abstract Ocean are selling anything different. These parts are single sourced because of the low volume.

That looks real nice. In fact, i think I like it better than the three bar puddle lights I got from RPM Tesla.

I agree LED lights throughout the car are very easy to replace/install. I did all 4 doors, trunk, glove compartment and footwell lights in 15 minutes.

did you guys have the car freak out in the middle of swapping lights? after disconnecting the light, the cabin shut off everything but then went back to normal after reconnecting.

Yes, this happens on the 3. I did the same install on my X, no issue.

Educated guess is that 3's cabling is daisy chained to save $.

Once installed, its fine.