Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing HW3 unit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi mbp11, (Mike?)

I have had the HW3.0 in my March 2018 X for almost a month now...
My software is 2019.40.50.7
I have the setting to look at the FSD features...
It shows stop signs and stop lights, it also shows traffic cones and big arrows for turns on the pavement.

It seems to show the stop signs "too late" to be useful now.

Another odd thing I have noticed is that it shows fire hydrants as traffic cones.
I do not know if this was a design choice or not but it consistently shows hydrants as traffic cones.

Another creepy thing I saw only once was that there were two stop lights
both of them were red.
The left turn light showed red on my instrument cluster.
The straight ahead or right turn light showed GREEN in the instrument cluster
even though the actual light was RED.
This could be dangerous in the future...

The auto pilot functions seem decent on my recent quick trips.
A quirk or two: It may "strand" me in the passing lane after instructions to pass...
It never gives the signal to return to the right lane... (Using NOA)
I have the setting on "Mad Max" and "Confirm" lane change...
Also if I use the turn signal to get out of the passing lane
(because of a closing car from behind)
It might not tell me to pass the "next" time.

I have a 1500 mile road trip next week and I am excited to give it a real workout...

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
Shawn, I just got the FSD hardware 3.0 computer installed in my July 2018 MX (actually, I think it was a late June 2018) and my experiences mirror yours. The NOA seems to be a little more confident, does not weave with merges and wider lanes. I am too scared to use mad max so I do usual speed at lane change and do not allow it to change on its own, since I have a better idea of traffic and turnoffs ahead, I reserve the right to cancel or allow lane changes.

You are right, if the sensors and cameras see fire hydrants (they don’t always) they show up as traffic cones. They can read stop signs and traffic lights but they are too small on the screen or too late to help you, you are already on them when they get big enough to see.

Last night was garbage night in my neighborhood and the one thing the cameras see, is garbage cans! They can see garbage cans for a block ahead, they can see them behind parked cars, it can sniff them out like crazy! The funny thing is, the cameras cannot see the parked cars hiding the garbage cans in the street, only the cans. It is very disappointing. I would like to know if there are large obstructing items in the street (like parked cars) but it is very unlikely that I will run into them!

Will try to upload some funny pictures!

IMG_5890.jpg