Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instead of a recap, I'm going to "live blog" my CPO experience here and will update as things happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4/6/2019 Saturday night - Found the exact car I wanted and went ahead took the plunge. Paid my deposit and uploaded everything in to the portal with the exception of insurance and my exact payment method (wasn't sure if paying cash or financing). The car is a 2015 P90DL with 28k miles and it looks amazing in the photos. It has every option.

Not long after placing my order on Saturday night, I received a generic email confirming my order with an attached order agreement. An hour or so later I received another generic email titled "Next Steps for Your Model S Delivery" - nothing special here just form filled stuff. That was all from Tesla that weekend which I didn't expect anything more.

4/8/2019 Monday morning - Got an email from my Sales Advisor (Gilbert Ornelas, he has been awesome but more on that later). His email just said congratulations and it had some more detailed information such as where I would be picking the car up, asking me to get all my docs uploaded, and some info on my trade. Tesla had made me an offer on my trade that was kinda low but he told me if I went to Carmax and had it appraised that Tesla would honor that appraisal (which I would do later in the week). This was another form type of email but it had information pertaining to my car. I originally asked for a Jacksonville, FL pick up but I text Gilbert and asked for a change to Atlanta which he handled immediately (good dude). I uploaded my insurance card that morning and I was done in the portal.

4/8/2019 Monday afternoon - Got an email from Steven Salinda (his title is Remarking / Delivery Advisor Northern California) just stating that he was reaching out to me to say congrats and to also tell me that Jana Park (cc'ed on email) would be my point of contact for confirming all info and she will be scheduling my pick up. I replied to both thanking them and that I would tie up the only loose end I had which was make a final decision on my trade (get it appraised by Carmax).

4/9-4/10 - nothing to report

4/11/2019 Thursday - went to Carmax and got the appraisal done, it was slightly higher so I emailed the appraisal to Jana and told her that I would accept this amount for my trade. She quickly responded that she would update the delivery team and get the correct amount. This was the first time Jana and I had emailed each other. I emailed her later that day and told her that I had a pretty hectic travel schedule coming up and that if she could keep me in the loop that would be great. I have to take a full day off of work to go get the car and I'm traveling a lot coming up. She quickly replied that she would keep me up to date. So far I am sitting here wondering why everyone has been bitching about their communication, it has been fantastic!

4/12/2019 Friday - I receive an unsolicited email from Jana telling me that she is seeing an ETA for my car of 4/17-4/18 and her email says that she will update me next week. I'm super happy about this.

Heard nothing after this until Tuesday 4/16/2019

4/16/2019 Tuesday - Gilbert replied to an email I had sent a few days earlier saying he was just following up and that he had been on vacation (cool - no problem with that at all). He copied Jana and asked Jana to check up on the car since the last thing I had heard was an ETA of 4/17-4/18. He also sent me a little info on the "CPO inspection". ---- No response from Jana to our emails

4/17/2019 Wednesday - I emailed Gilbert a stupid request to see if the SC could change the wheels on the screen to match the ones on the car. The car has 21 gray turbine and the image is base wheels. I told him I knew how dumb this was. He immediately replied that he would handle it. Again, Gilbert has been super solid the whole time!

4/18/2019 Thursday - I emailed Jana again asking for an update. She hasn't replied to me, Gilbert, or my bank since Friday 4/12 after being so responsive. Also, you can't call her, she doesn't answer and her VM has been full. I hope she is ok, I really have no idea why she won't communicate.

So here we are, 12 days after ordering and I have zero idea where the car is. It may still be in Boston or it may be in Atlanta, no one knows and I can't get any more info. I've decided to leave Gilbert alone because I feel like I have bugged the crap out of him and he has been incredible to work with. The problem is he's my sales guy and I need info from my delivery person. I'm hoping Jana will reply to me today with something but it's been almost a week and nothing so I'm not holding my breath.

I will update this later as things happen (or not).

4/6/2019 Saturday night - Found the exact car I wanted and went ahead took the plunge. Paid my deposit and uploaded everything in to the portal with the exception of insurance and my exact payment method (wasn't sure if paying cash or financing). The car is a 2015 P90DL with 28k miles and it looks amazing in the photos. It has every option.

Not long after placing my order on Saturday night, I received a generic email confirming my order with an attached order agreement. An hour or so later I received another generic email titled "Next Steps for Your Model S Delivery" - nothing special here just form filled stuff. That was all from Tesla that weekend which I didn't expect anything more.

4/8/2019 Monday morning - Got an email from my Sales Advisor (Gilbert Ornelas, he has been awesome but more on that later). His email just said congratulations and it had some more detailed information such as where I would be picking the car up, asking me to get all my docs uploaded, and some info on my trade. Tesla had made me an offer on my trade that was kinda low but he told me if I went to Carmax and had it appraised that Tesla would honor that appraisal (which I would do later in the week). This was another form type of email but it had information pertaining to my car. I originally asked for a Jacksonville, FL pick up but I text Gilbert and asked for a change to Atlanta which he handled immediately (good dude). I uploaded my insurance card that morning and I was done in the portal.

4/8/2019 Monday afternoon - Got an email from Steven Salinda (his title is Remarking / Delivery Advisor Northern California) just stating that he was reaching out to me to say congrats and to also tell me that Jana Park (cc'ed on email) would be my point of contact for confirming all info and she will be scheduling my pick up. I replied to both thanking them and that I would tie up the only loose end I had which was make a final decision on my trade (get it appraised by Carmax).

4/9-4/10 - nothing to report

4/11/2019 Thursday - went to Carmax and got the appraisal done, it was slightly higher so I emailed the appraisal to Jana and told her that I would accept this amount for my trade. She quickly responded that she would update the delivery team and get the correct amount. This was the first time Jana and I had emailed each other. I emailed her later that day and told her that I had a pretty hectic travel schedule coming up and that if she could keep me in the loop that would be great. I have to take a full day off of work to go get the car and I'm traveling a lot coming up. She quickly replied that she would keep me up to date. So far I am sitting here wondering why everyone has been bitching about their communication, it has been fantastic!

4/12/2019 Friday - I receive an unsolicited email from Jana telling me that she is seeing an ETA for my car of 4/17-4/18 and her email says that she will update me next week. I'm super happy about this.

Heard nothing after this until Tuesday 4/16/2019

4/16/2019 Tuesday - Gilbert replied to an email I had sent a few days earlier saying he was just following up and that he had been on vacation (cool - no problem with that at all). He copied Jana and asked Jana to check up on the car since the last thing I had heard was an ETA of 4/17-4/18. He also sent me a little info on the "CPO inspection". ---- No response from Jana to our emails

4/17/2019 Wednesday - I emailed Gilbert a stupid request to see if the SC could change the wheels on the screen to match the ones on the car. The car has 21 gray turbine and the image is base wheels. I told him I knew how dumb this was. He immediately replied that he would handle it. Again, Gilbert has been super solid the whole time!

4/18/2019 Thursday - I emailed Jana again asking for an update. She hasn't replied to me, Gilbert, or my bank since Friday 4/12 after being so responsive. Also, you can't call her, she doesn't answer and her VM has been full. I hope she is ok, I really have no idea why she won't communicate.

So here we are, 12 days after ordering and I have zero idea where the car is. It may still be in Boston or it may be in Atlanta, no one knows and I can't get any more info. I've decided to leave Gilbert alone because I feel like I have bugged the crap out of him and he has been incredible to work with. The problem is he's my sales guy and I need info from my delivery person. I'm hoping Jana will reply to me today with something but it's been almost a week and nothing so I'm not holding my breath.

I will update this later as things happen (or not).
I had a similar experience. Communication from delivery rep stopped. I was scheduled to fly to Denver for a Monday delivery. I finally cancelled the order in frustration Friday beforehand. Rep was Jana.

• Informative
Reactions: Ole Capt
Ok so I just learned something. I called the Atlanta service center and hit "4" for deliveries. Guy quickly looked it up for me and the car is still in Boston. Almost 2 weeks and it hasn't moved. Keep in mind my last correspondence with Jana was 4/17-4/18 ETA.

If you order a CPO just make sure it's local. This is a joke.

Since there's an obvious delay, take this time to submit your trade vehicle information on vroom.com - Tesla will also match an emailed offer from them. This ended up saving me an additional $500 vs. Carmax. Tesla's initial trade offer was a joke - to the tune of ~$3K less!

Since there's an obvious delay, take this time to submit your trade vehicle information on vroom.com - Tesla will also match an emailed offer from them. This ended up saving me an additional $500 vs. Carmax. Tesla's initial trade offer was a joke - to the tune of ~$3K less!

Nice! I will do that now. I have taken this time to install a wall charger and order 19" wheels which will be here tomorrow. Just need something to do with them

Communication is where Tesla lacks. I had a similar experience buying my P85D last November. I had to constantly push the sales advisor via numerous emails and calls to eventually get a time/date to pick up the car 200 miles away. I recommend you keep contacting them because if you don't, it'll be a few more weeks till they finally get back to you on it. It can be very frustrating.

Thankfully the car makes me forget about what I had to go through to get mine. Hopefully yours will too.

Reactions: BoerumHill
I had a great experience when getting mine. Communication was excellent. I’m sorry your having a bad experience.
But I have to wonder. I got mine before the model 3 ramp up madness that it has become. I’m wondering if the service centers, delivery folks and all others involved along the way just aren’t able to keep up. It seems customer service went way down after the model 3 massive push started. I really hope this is just temporary as the company grows in all areas to meet demand.
Good luck. I hope you get word soon.

I got my CPO in Jan and had a good experience. The sales rep I was dealing with in NY was extremely helpful, we exchanged calls at odd hours while I debated which car to buy. My first choice was sold while I waited about 12 hours before pulling the trigger. He worked with me again to find a car that I liked, looked up things that I had a questions or comments on (3G vs LTE) and generally, was a pleasure to work with. Once I placed the order, Jana was my delivery advisor too, and while there were some periods of radio silence, it wasn't bad. She was responsive, it just felt like the folks bring the car from NY to NJ weren't talking to her so she didn't have lot to report. My car took about 2 weeks to travel 39 miles for delivery. Overall, it was a good experience. My advice to you is to bring some patience along :)

So the week is over and the car remains in Boston. I did hear from Jana this evening, she is super nice. She apologized for being late getting back to me. My new ETA is 4/24 with a hopeful delivery date of 4/25. I can certainly live with this but I would bet my net worth it won't happen seeing how the car is still on the lot 1,000 miles away.

Oh well, it's Easter and time to think about something more important than a car : )

Just a little update. As of 5 pm East today (4/22) the car is still in Boston and there is no truck assigned to it. It is sitting on the Mannheim lot, I'm sure the battery is completely dead at this point.

I ordered on 4/6 so 16 days have passed now and the car is just sitting there. According to the guy at the SC in Atlanta, the car will sit there until they have enough cars to make a trip down to Atlanta. I asked if this could potentially take months. He said it shouldn't but it will certainly be weeks best case scenario. Sigh...

My model S CPO delivery story is similar. I ordered my used Model 3 85D on 3/11/19. At first, communication was fast and furious. I was wondering what everyone was talking about with delivery issues. Then when it came to my delivery guy, after the first call, he was a ghost. I was slated to pick up in Orlando, FL and the car was in Orlando, FL in a lot approx 3 miles away from the service center. No no crazy logistics there. Orlando is about 3 hours from my home however so I had to arrange to get up there to pick up and I was not trading, so I was looking at a 1 way rental. Anyway, it took a ton of prodding, but I ended up taking deliver on 4/11 as I had a business trip in the area anyway and I was able to bug them enough to get slotted. For a company that launches rockets, I would think they would be able to get you a firm delivery date pretty much immediately. You know how many cars you can do in a day... You know how many cars in queue. If there is an issue with your car, I am sure they can communicate that. However, my car essentially was on the lot until 4/9! In the end, I freakin' love my Tesla and it was well worth the wait. A little patience paid off, it is in great shape and while there are a couple of small items to handle under warranty, I am scheduled to have it looked at tomorrow. A tail light has some condensation in it, I want them to look at the brakes to ensure the slight squeal is just from lack of use, and an erratic passenger window when I raise it. Other than that, body was good, and the inside was very clean. So far, go great!

Reactions: Ole Capt
You could fly up and drive it home, saving the 2k delivery charge, but then you might be stuck in the NO TAGS LIMBO I have been waiting for WA State issued license plates for 16 days and counting after my NV temp tags expired. Tesla is paying for a rental car but my TMS sits in my garage! :(

You could fly up and drive it home, saving the 2k delivery charge, but then you might be stuck in the NO TAGS LIMBO I have been waiting for WA State issued license plates for 16 days and counting after my NV temp tags expired. Tesla is paying for a rental car but my TMS sits in my garage! :(

Jana was my advisor as well, and it was an absolute nightmare to communicate with her. No one else could get hold of her either, just as you're having issues with, and her and my financial institution went back and forth for weeks because Jana would not actually get on the phone with them.