Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought you were keeping the nosecone hood and putting on a refresh bumper? Is that not the case? You have a refresh hood AND bumper?

Yes. As it turns out to get the refresh bumper to fit correctly without a gap at the top, installation of the refresh hood is necessary, which creates the other complications I outlined in earlier posts. Tesla says this can't be done on a nosecone car and if one takes into account all of the extra steps and complications that's technically correct. For example the shop had to make a new hood latch bracket (in the photos below) because the old one does not work with the refresh hood.

Here's the prong that's attached to the underside of the refresh hood. That had to be slightly modified. The nosecone bumper hood has two prongs.

I'm so happy I'm working with SDR on this project -- they're incredible on this kind of custom work.

IMG_1304-17-03-17-05-55.jpeg

Here's the finished custom latch mechanism.

fullsizeoutput_4c48.jpeg

And here's the mechanism with the refreshed hood latched in place. Everything works as it should -- emergency release and key fob command to open the hood.

fullsizeoutput_4c4a.jpeg

Great job on the refresh project ... and major props on the custom fabrication :cool:

Would it be possible to retain he classic hood with the refresh bumper, if the custom T grill were available from Unplugged?
Is seems that this is the key aftermarket piece to allow the original classic hood to mate with the new refresh bumper?
I see a real business opportunity here for someone with design skills and a 3D printer :cool:

Yes. As it turns out to get the refresh bumper to fit correctly without a gap at the top, installation of the refresh hood is necessary, which creates the other complications I outlined in earlier posts. Tesla says this can't be done on a nosecone car and if one takes into account all of the extra steps and complications that's technically correct. For example the shop had to make a new hood latch bracket (in the photos below) because the old one does not work with the refresh hood.

Here's the prong that's attached to the underside of the refresh hood. That had to be slightly modified. The nosecone bumper hood has two prongs.

I'm so happy I'm working with SDR on this project -- they're incredible on this kind of custom work.

IMG_1304-17-03-17-05-55.jpeg

Here's the finished custom latch mechanism.

fullsizeoutput_4c48.jpeg

And here's the mechanism with the refreshed hood latched in place. Everything works as it should -- emergency release and key fob command to open the hood.

fullsizeoutput_4c4a.jpeg

Reactions: Gouldness
Great job on the refresh project ... and major props on the custom fabrication :cool:

Would it be possible to retain he classic hood with the refresh bumper, if the custom T grill were available from Unplugged?
Is seems that this is the key aftermarket piece to allow the original classic hood to mate with the new refresh bumper?
I see a real business opportunity here for someone with design skills and a 3D printer :cool:

That's a good question, but you'd have to obtain one and see if it fits. As Unplugged has designed the entire assembly and all of its parts work together it's impossible to know whether that piece might work with the OEM parts. But if it did I think Unplugged could sell it for a hefty price.

Happy to report that the work is nearly done. The car should be in the paint shop tomorrow for painting in MC Red of the refresh bumper and hood. I haven't seen the car since Monday so I'm eager to find out the solutions to the problems with the frunk seal and apron pieces. SDR told me they were trying to maintain the original look of the larger frunk on nosecone cars so Im especially eager to see that.

While I've been waiting I've been working on a way to light the refresh front T with fiber optics and one or two super bright RGB LED illuminators. The fiber optic ends will outline the T (about 120 - 140 strands in total are needed). The illuminators drive the light through the fiber stands and light emerges from the fiber ends around the T. I'll control it with a remote that enables changes in color, intensity, and other effects. Could be a really cool effect but I won't know if it works until I have it all set up, which won't be until next week.

I asked Unplugged. They say - and I still struggle to compute this fully - that they are fabricating all parts, not just the T insert. They say the entire bumper is their own, too. Given what we know from the thread it would appear totally OTT as all that's needed is a list of Tesla spares for and a custom grille insert that can fill the gap between facelift bumper and pre-facelift hood.

Visited the shop today to see where the work stood. Everything has been painted and it will all come together tomorrow. Their goal is to have it ready for me to pick up by the end of the day, but they couldn't promise that, as the one challenge remaining is fitting the frunk rubber seal. Here are several shots of the car before the final assembly with the facelift hood installed.

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

Reactions: scole04 and Reekdog
This is increasingly becoming a thread on what not to do to upgrade to the Tesla OEM refresh bumper:) And my conclusion is don't be a fool like me and try it:) Buy the Unplugged solution or the Karstyle version (it it ever sees the light of day). Here's the latest:

The tech at SDR and the lead estimator spent the day Friday putting the finishing touches on the new latch assembly. The balance of the day was spent coming up with the best solution to the frunk interior. They even made a trip to Tesla Owings Mills Service Center to look over a 2017! Then they sent me few photos (below) of what they feel is the best solution. They're going to make a custom fiberglass piece that will give the hood underside surface a raised edge to which the new seal will be attached to and will follow the contour of the 2017 hood but match the larger shape of the 2013 frunk.

This will add another several days to the work. They hope to be close to being ready to paint the modified hood underside by 3-29. This is a very tedious process as it requires constant test fitting and verifying the contours are correct. They assure me the final outcome will justify the means!

Yes, the cash register is ringing!:) I guess I can take consolation in the fact that I will have a unique P85.

The 2017 frunk seals can be seen in the frunk bottom in the first photo below.

DSC00669.JPG

DSC00670.JPG

Was the new style hood and latch absolutely necessary?

Or did you choose to do this so there wasn't a bigger gap in the front between the bumper and the hood? (so it will match what new cars look like and doesn't require fabricating that part for the bigger gap).

It was to close the gap but when I made the decision I didn't anticipate the complexity of it all. With the benefit of hindsight it may have been better to fabricate a modified TESLA BADGE 'T'-FRONT SUPPORT, which is the source of the gap, and stay with the original hood. It wouldn't look OEM but the difference would not have been noticed by most.

Wow, this is really turning out to be a complicated project! I guess they were not lying when they said it couldn't be done - and by that I don't mean truly impossible, just not really, ever, worth the effort! But it will be awesome to have a refreshed nose for you. We, those of us with old nose cones, will be jelly. :)

Reactions: Canuck
It was to close the gap but when I made the decision I didn't anticipate the complexity of it all. With the benefit of hindsight it may have been better to fabricate a modified TESLA BADGE 'T'-FRONT SUPPORT, which is the source of the gap, and stay with the original hood. It wouldn't look OEM but the difference would not have been noticed by most.

Agreed.
This is exactly the route that the aftermarket vendors followed with a new T badge grill to bridge the gap between the original hood and facelift bumper. I really hope someone with a 3-D printer can produce the T-grill for the DIY project person - sounds like a great business opportunity.

upload_2017-3-7_20-32-5-png.217671

Agreed.
This is exactly the route that the aftermarket vendors followed with a new T badge grill to bridge the gap between the original hood and facelift bumper. I really hope someone with a 3-D printer can produce the T-grill for the DIY project person - sounds like a great business opportunity.

upload_2017-3-7_20-32-5-png.217671

We're looking into manufacturing such a part.

The complications continue. The active louvres on my 2013 bumper do not quite fit on the facelift bumper (I assumed incorrectly that they would easily switch over). So some modifications have to be made to the latter for it to fit, which the SDR will do today.

We're getting close and I hope no further problems will be revealed as it all gets assembled this week.

Pleased to learn today that the work is nearly done. I haven't seen the car in several days but the folks at SDR sent me several photos of the facelift bumper on my car. All of the exterior work has been done and the one remaining task is fitting the rubber seal between the hood and frunk edges. This requires some custom fiberglass work which may take a day or two. Here are several photos (the car's a little dusty from being in the shop for nearly 5 weeks):

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_23991.JPG