Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a flag for the nose and I know the avatar in our cars use certain flags (I've had mine changed, for instance, to include the spoiler), but I am unsure if the flag for the nose is used by other processes such as firmware component selection filters. I doubt it is designed this way, but it could be that have a refreshed flag include the firmware variations for the extra sensor pucks in the wheel well of AutoPilot since every Tesla-build refresh car has the AutoPilot hardware. You wouldn't want a parking sensor only or no parking sensor car complaining that those two wheel well pucks are not responding.

Again, I am NOT saying this would happen and I would hope Tesla designed the firmware filters and avatars as separate flags, but we just don't know.

I read somewhere in the forum that the SC changed car image (color & red brake calipers) on an owners car while getting service. Maybe this was a top-notch service person & maybe not all will do it but he/she posted a photo of it maybe as long as a year ago.

Back in 2014 when I switched to black aftermarket TSP Sportline wheels, I asked my service center, and they were able to switch the wheel colors on the touchscreen. I am not sure if they have a option on the nose cone/front design. Worth a shot at asking them.

I don't know how, but my post got into the wrong thread. Here is what I said...
There is a flag for the nose and I know the avatar in our cars use certain flags (I've had mine changed, for instance, to include the spoiler), but I am unsure if the flag for the nose is used by other processes such as firmware component selection filters. I doubt it is designed this way, but it could be that have a refreshed flag include the firmware variations for the extra sensor pucks in the wheel well of AutoPilot since every Tesla-build refresh car has the AutoPilot hardware. You wouldn't want a parking sensor only or no parking sensor car complaining that those two wheel well pucks are not responding.

Again, I am NOT saying this would happen and I would hope Tesla designed the firmware filters and avatars as separate flags, but we just don't know.

Here's an update on progress.

The car is still in the shop as they figure out how to accommodate a facelift hood on a nosecone car. The facelift hood has been mounted on my car, but there are several problems that have to be addressed.

First the latch:
The facelift hood has a 1-prong latch and the nosecone hood a 2-prong latch. Moreover the prong angle is different. Bottom line is it won't latch as is. So they're making a custom bracket to see if that works. If not, they'll have to install the facelift latch mechanism, which involves more complexity.

Second the rubber seal: On the nosecone hood the seal is attached to the underside of the hood on the perimeter of a separate panel. It lines up with the rubber seal on the edge of the frunk liner. On the facelift hood there is no rubber seal on the hood, just on the perimeter of the frunk, which is smaller and a different shape. So they're going have to find a way to seal the hood and frunk on my car. I have 2 spare rubber facelift frunk liners (very expensive, $630 for the pair) which I'll give to them tomorrow so they can see if the can develop a creative solution.

So the complications continue. Fortunaely the team at SDR considers this a challenge and they're determined to find solutions. They're working to finish the job by the end of next week. But there's still a risk that they won't be able to find acceptable solutions and we'll have to reinstall the nosecone hood and bumper. Fingers crossed that won't happen.

Last edited:
Good news from SDR. This from one of the team of three working on solutions -- he's the chief estimator -- everybody seems to be involved.

"The tech and I have come up with a solution and made the working prototype to solve our hood latch problem that allows us to utilize the factory wiring and emergency release cable. We have a few finishing touches to make, but the majority of it is ready. Tomorrow our goal is to put the finishing touches on the latch assy. and then test fit the interior pieces to confirm what we need. Part of my goal is to try and utilize as much of the original interior trim as possible. Further, my focus is to retain a factory appearance with everything we have to customize. I will continue to photograph what we are doing and will try and get you another progress update tomorrow."

Sounds like they're going to make it all work.

Any news from our friends at Karstyle? We're a month past the delivery date announcement that never came.

Actually yes. This is what I received from Eddie Gill, the founder, a few days ago (given where with the upgrade, mine will be for sale when it's finally delivered).

The Karstyle bumper project is still very much active and is definitely going to happen. I’ll keep you updated the best I can. I won’t be making any money out of it. Only a loss, but I don’t care as long as the bumper is built and gives people pleasure. It was meant to be a fun project and ended-up being a bit of a nightmare damaged my reputation. But,C’est la vie!

The intellectual property of the bumper is now owned by a much bigger company who are funding the bumper, completing the manufacture, and handle all of the logistics. The project proved too complex for me to handle alone, and the costs were much higher than I was initially quoted, resulting in a big personal overdraft, and I eventually ran out of money. The new owner of the IP wants to complete the development of bumper before making a public announcement. There will therefore, be an official announcement in the non-too-distant future.

All original orders and reservations made through me will take priority, and the selling price of the bumper will not increase. There will be an official notification sent to all reservation holders regarding the status of all order in the near future.

I sincerely apologise for the delay in the production of the product, however, production issues have now been solved the bumper will reach the marketplace soon.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and scole04