TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Insurance Confusion - Suncorp Style

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by garyjac, Jan 22, 2017.

1. garyjac

garyjac Member

OK, this quotation, below, is from Suncorp insurance...

"Our vehicle pricing list have looked into this matter further and have contacted Tesla directly. We have been advised that the 2015 Model S 70 was not available to Australian customers. Instead Tesla offer the Australian customers an upgraded Model S 60 which included a fitted S 70 upgrade kit. We have been advised that you can confirm all this information by contacting Tesla directly."

As far as I know, the 2015 built S70 could not possibly have been fitted with a "battery upgrade kit".

Suncorp confused? Probably, they think no S 70s were made in 2015. The VIN indicates otherwise.

Comment from anyone with knowledge.

2. Murbs

Murbs Member

What they seem to be saying is they only have the 2015 S60 on their books but that you can add to it an upgrade "accessory" that converts it to an S70. Provided they are happy with that and are willing to insure your car with it's VIN, then there's probably not much point in arguing the toss with them.

3. garyjac

garyjac Member

They might well be "saying that" but they also say they talked to Tesla, which is a lie to the best of ability to discover. Nor do they seem to have communicated recently with Glass's Guide people whom they seem to rely on heavily. They don't even have the 2015 S60 on their books.

4. diesel

diesel Member

I think the best thing to do in these situations is vote with your feet and find an insurer who will work with you. If it's this hard signing up, imagine how hard it is when you are trying to get them to pay for a claim.

• Like x 1
  5. garyjac

garyjac Member

Yes, I've told them precisely that...I will move my insurance to Youi for the sake of fewer hassles and so I can get the multi-policy discount from Youi as well. I also suspect it is why, lacking propoer information, they have come up with this pile of BS.

6. andygen21

andygen21 New Member

Have you tried the Tesla insurance product? You would expect them to understand all challenges in insuring a Tesla. FYI its underwritten by QBE.

InsureMyTesla Insurance

7. Miggy

Miggy Member

Youi feature a Tesla S in their new advert on TV.

8. garyjac

garyjac Member

I've looked at Tesla insurance and it's far too expensive (not competitive) for the same options and coverage. I've wondered about that black car? Is it a Tesla or a Mazda 6 (side on) ?

9. Miggy

Miggy Member

The advert has a red Tesla Model S, may only show in NZL

10. garyjac

garyjac Member

I'll look carefully, but I think you might be right about that. The ad might be NZ specific.

11. garyjac

garyjac Member

Checked out the ad on YouTube. The rego on the Tesla is MYT 847...anyone recognise it?

12. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I actually found Tesla to be the cheapest insurance. I had quotes from youi and nrma. My insurance is about $1900 from memory. Facelift 70D, AP only option.
    Curious to know what quotes you've had as I'll certainly be shopping around each year.

13. garyjac

garyjac Member

I've had over $2K from Tesla with similar options to Youi ($1107). Some companies asking up to $4.5K (ho ho ho). Youi with all glass and rental car for all events as well as the standard stuff.

14. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Nice, I will have to give youi another go next year. For some reason their quote was well over $2K before.
    I suspect Teslas are (were?) still too niche so the quotes seem all over the place.

15. raynewman

raynewman Member

I think they are just random. I got a good price (<800) back in March 2015. It's gone up over $50 per year since tho.

16. bradjc

bradjc Member

$1,100 with RACV with glass coverage, but with $2K excess on a MS70 with a couple of extras. I don't do a lot of city driving and I haven't made a claim in a couple of decades of driving so I figured a high excess and lower annual fee was the way to go. I would normally go for a lower excess but insurance was so much more on this vehicle than we were used to I decided to go for the cheaper option and concentrate really hard on not getting into a bingle.

• Like x 1