Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance discounts for Enhanced Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been reading pages and pages of threads about the costs of insurance for the M3 (in the US) and, I'm wondering why insurance companies can’t give us a discount for having / using EAP?
You mean a higher premium for EAP right?

EAP is still largely unproven technology and if anything is going to be considered of higher risk to an insurance company. While the technology shows promise the reality is the current statistics are too weak to prove its efficacy.

Reactions: afadeev
You mean a higher premium for EAP right?

EAP is still largely unproven technology and if anything is going to be considered of higher risk to an insurance company. While the technology shows promise the reality is the current statistics are too weak to prove its efficacy.

Nope, I did mean a discount for the feature.

And you're right while L2 is new, Insurance companies will have to start working on addressing Level 2/3 Autonomy eventually. Right now, there just seem to be no efforts on their part to proactively figure out whether or not EAP could be the safer alternative in the future. Hopefully soon though the data will continue to move in the right direction and we can start to see insurance benefits from using/having these awesome features.

I’ve been reading pages and pages of threads about the costs of insurance for the M3 (in the US) and,
I'm wondering why insurance companies can’t give us a discount for having / using EAP?
My insurance 21st Century don't even recognize the Tesla app location feature as a vehicle recovery device,
like the BMW Assist, Lexus Link, OnStar... because I don't pay a monthly subscription to make it legit!

• Funny
Reactions: wenkan

Not available in California. I wish I had cheaper insurance....currently paying $367/month for the wife and I :( via Geico. I've had minimal claims and had great rates prior to adding my wife on the plan then it jumped up $240/month just to add her its crazy (she's 26, and prices were high even before her single parking lot incident). Kinda of crazy but haven't been able to find a better place than Geico so far (AAA, Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Ameriprise, Wawanesa, Mercury etc.)

The jokers who use tricks to get around the nag and not keep their hands on the steering wheel are likely to drive up insurance premiums for EAP cars.
I agree, it is a privilege to drive such a sophisticated automobile, if people showed respect for the technology and provided feedback to the developers, we would be able to move forward and prove out the technology instead of being punished because it was made available to everyone.

Last week I upgraded to Enhanced Autopilot and today I received a letter indicating that the modification to the car was unacceptable and that I need to remove the car from the policy before the next renewal. What insurance company are people using when a car has EAP?

That's crazy that they would tell you to take the car off the policy. After doing some googling I found an insurance company called byteRyde in California (byteRyde - Insurance for Self-Driving Cars) that offers discounts for cars that have EAP. I contacted them to get a quote, but they aren't available in New York yet.

I think some future car manufacturer would be smart to accept liability for incidents, if caused by their car being driven on autopilot. This will very quickly reduce insurance rates.

There's a really interesting article about this on Venture Beat where the author says the same thing ( 3 ways self-driving cars will affect the insurance industry). Volvo and Mercedes are laying the groundwork for this so it will be interesting to see who follows along.

Reactions: SergeyUser
That's crazy that they would tell you to take the car off the policy. After doing some googling I found an insurance company called byteRyde in California (byteRyde - Insurance for Self-Driving Cars) that offers discounts for cars that have EAP. I contacted them to get a quote, but they aren't available in New York yet.

That looks interesting as I'd love to reduce my insurance premium. I don't want to be to be the first guy to try it though, so if someone else is a more enterprising soul, be sure to let us know!

Reactions: follow.johnny
Hi everyone! my name is Josh and i'm one of the founders of byteRyde. I've just heard about this thread because we had two customer this week reference the conversation and I decided to check it out for myself. (Thank you by the way). I'm happy to answer any questions that people have about this. We are looking forward to being productive members of the forum and the Tesla community. (PS we hate spam and we promise that you won't get that from us)

Hi everyone! my name is Josh and i'm one of the founders of byteRyde. I've just heard about this thread because we had two customer this week reference the conversation and I decided to check it out for myself. (Thank you by the way). I'm happy to answer any questions that people have about this. We are looking forward to being productive members of the forum and the Tesla community. (PS we hate spam and we promise that you won't get that from us)

Not much information on your website. How can we learn more, without a phone call?

Good question, we are in the process of building out our website at the moment which will have more far more information available. We're aiming to have it live in the coming weeks. In the meantime, we can answer questions via DM or in here (hopefully without it turning the thread into full blown self promotion on our end haha)

I have Liberty Mutual and they offer an Alternative Energy discount. Along with the security features of the M3, my premium from a ‘17 Honda Accord Touring did not go up a penny.
This is interesting. I just reviewed my Liberty Mutual policy which is up for renewal. I own a 2005 Highlander Hybrid and a Model 3 Performance. My policy says that I'm getting the "Alternative Energy" discount on the Highlander Hybrid, but not on the Tesla. When I asked why not, the Liberty Mutual rep replied, "The Tesla doesn’t qualify for the Alternative Fuel discount since it is an electric vehicle." <insert puzzled face emoticon here>

When I pressed for the reason why an EV doesn't qualify for an alternative energy discount but a hybrid does, I got, "this information is proprietary and fully determined by our underwriting department. This department does not handle customer requests as well."

So, do you have the Model 3 Performance or one of the other versions? I mean, it shouldn't make a difference - All Teslas are BEVs, but I wonder why you're getting the discount and I'm not, through the same insurer and the same car.