Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance discounts for Enhanced Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how your rates will compare to Tesla's upcoming insurance policy....

While I applaud what they’re trying to do ... I have a need for more than just auto insurance. I have homeowner coverage, separate riders for jewelry and other things, plus an umbrella policy over all of it too.

Unless Tesla can do all of that - for less money and better service - I’m likely to stick it out with State Farm.

The insurance on my Model 3 is $520 for 6 months. For NJ that’s good.

This is interesting. I just reviewed my Liberty Mutual policy which is up for renewal. I own a 2005 Highlander Hybrid and a Model 3 Performance. My policy says that I'm getting the "Alternative Energy" discount on the Highlander Hybrid, but not on the Tesla. When I asked why not, the Liberty Mutual rep replied, "The Tesla doesn’t qualify for the Alternative Fuel discount since it is an electric vehicle." <insert puzzled face emoticon here>

When I pressed for the reason why an EV doesn't qualify for an alternative energy discount but a hybrid does, I got, "this information is proprietary and fully determined by our underwriting department. This department does not handle customer requests as well."

So, do you have the Model 3 Performance or one of the other versions? I mean, it shouldn't make a difference - All Teslas are BEVs, but I wonder why you're getting the discount and I'm not, through the same insurer and the same car.
Sorry for my delayed reply, apparently haven't been logged in for notifications.

I do not have the performance model, I have the AWD and my LM rep applied the discount for me. Again, the discount is damn near meaningless though as it is only a couple bucks a year. But a buck is a buck!

Nope, I did mean a discount for the feature.

I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.
While we can argue about potential benefits of having EAP, nothing actually forces you to use it. So those benefits (real or not) are not guaranteed to be utilized.

The only thing that is guaranteed about EAP is the extra cost of replacement if you total the car, assuming you ensure the vehicle for total replacement value, including options you had purchased. Therefore, the insurance rates would have to go up to cover the higher replacement cost. And that is, in fact, what I found when I priced out TM3 insurance with and without, AP and EAP/FSD.

The rest is speculative.

Right now, there just seem to be no efforts on their part to proactively figure out whether or not EAP could be the safer alternative in the future. Hopefully soon though the data will continue to move in the right direction and we can start to see insurance benefits from using/having these awesome features.

That is exactly the problem.
Right now, the only company that has data on AP/EAP/FSD performance is Tesla, and it's not sharing it with anyone. Until that changes, or there is a standardized industry-wide tool for detecting autonomous mode engagement and collecting data for accidents with and w/o it, it would be unreasonable to expect an insurance company to jump to any particular conclusions.

a