Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance - Electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not necessarily electric cars but I think the Model 3 for whatever reason is expensive for some people who don't get good quotes from Direct line. For example I can get a P100D insured for several hundred cheaper than a Model 3 LR, I assume over time this will change as they get more data on the newer cars

It's not necessarily electric cars but I think the Model 3 for whatever reason is expensive for some people who don't get good quotes from Direct line. For example I can get a P100D insured for several hundred cheaper than a Model 3 LR, I assume over time this will change as they get more data on the newer cars
Apparently they’re seen as high risk of theft due to the access method (ie. Phone app) plus no deadlocks I believe. Plus the obvious acceleration, cost of repairs etc. I get my pants pulled down on my insurance as it’s a lease car through my business around £1300 a year.

I found insurance to be ridiculous for my Model 3, compared to anything I've insured in recent years, full ncb, no accidents and much closer to 50 than 40. I even found some of the big names were not able to provide me with a quote.

I'd be really interested to see the cirsumstances in which someone is paying under £300

Apparently they’re seen as high risk of theft due to the access method (ie. Phone app) plus no deadlocks I believe. Plus the obvious acceleration, cost of repairs etc. I get my pants pulled down on my insurance as it’s a lease car through my business around £1300 a year.
Maybe it wasn't clear, I meant I insure a Model S P100D which is faster, more expensive and has the same security features for cheaper than any version of the Model 3

Reactions: Xdama
Forgot one, the fact Tesla don’t fit locking wheelnuts as standard also increases risk to an insurance company. The fact you can but them from Tesla as an aftermarket add on speaks volumes. Unfortunately because they’re not standard fit it won’t knock your insurance down if you fit them.

We can only comment on our own costs … so I would have to disagree. I’m paying £215.
Can you add me as a named driver plz? 😚😚

Serious response to thread: repair costs probably have something to do with this.

My model s was cheaper than my last hot hatch bmw though, and I live fairly close to a dual carriage way junction where numpties often bump into each other.

Can you add me as a named driver plz? 😚😚

Serious response to thread: repair costs probably have something to do with this.

My model s was cheaper than my last hot hatch bmw though, and I live fairly close to a dual carriage way junction where numpties often bump into each other.
Yes location is a significant factor. (I need to look at the insurance for our old Fiesta… just realised it costs more than the Tesla!)

I heard there were concerns from the insurance underwriters on the repairability of the Model Y. Whilst the die-casting process makes for easier construction I can understand how a small collision could require the replacement of one huge expensive part instead of a couple of easily sourced and fitted small parts. The introduction of Tesla's in-house insurance in the US was aimed at thwarting the potential rise in premiums. Anyone heard of whether Tesla UK are still intending to enter the car insurance business?

I heard there were concerns from the insurance underwriters on the repairability of the Model Y. Whilst the die-casting process makes for easier construction I can understand how a small collision could require the replacement of one huge expensive part instead of a couple of easily sourced and fitted small parts. The introduction of Tesla's in-house insurance in the US was aimed at thwarting the potential rise in premiums. Anyone heard of whether Tesla UK are still intending to enter the car insurance business?

I actually listened to their earnings call today. I don't know why I do it because its nearly always Elon making promises and impossible guarantees.

But, their current plan is to have insurance rolled out through most of the USA by the end of the year, with a very slim chance of making movements towards Europe by the end of this year.

So your answer, is not anytime soon. Especially with all the rules and regs in the UK I don't expect to see it over here anytime before 2024, if ever.

These are cheapest on the CTM for M3 LR, with 20k annual miles (personal, commuting and business use), 5 years no claims with company cars, 39 YO, no other cars and no other drivers, no convictions etc. Located in small, safe and calm town in midlands)

1643274673735.png

direct line, via Tesla page was ~900 annual.

Peugeot Insurance on the other hand, was ~650 on 7th of January. Then called on the phone and got 530 :) Aviva, on the other had, getting quote on their website, was just 2200 :D

I wish I had something even close to 400 though :D