Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance - my provider won't insure Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hcsharp

Jun 7, 2011
Vermont
Does anyone else use The Hartford for their insurance? We've been using them for 8 years with very reasonable rates and good customer service, especially for my Tesla Roadster. So we called them to add the Model 3 to our policy. "Nope" they said. "We don't insure that car or any other Tesla." I pointed out they've been insuring my Roadster since early 2011. The agent put me on hold to get his manager. 20 min later the manager comes on to verify that they will not insure a Tesla because there's not enough underwriting data. He went on to say they made a mistake when they initially insured my Roadster and weren't allowed to cancel the policy.

I've shopped the policy around a couple times in the last few years but nobody is as reasonable as The Hartford AARP program that we're in. Has anyone else been able to use The Hartford to insure their Model 3?

Hard to give up on the fabulous rate they have for my Roadster...
They also have a rule that the policy has to include every car in the household, which is a common requirement for insurance companies. That prevents us from getting a separate policy for the Model 3.

We have The Hartford, maybe they are insuring us because 3 yrs. ago my son got in a wreck, (He is 21 now) so with his age and the accident we are paying double what we used to pay for our other cars, (and about $1,800 a yr. for the 3 now) we do have a low deductible and 500/250 coverage, this month we get to shop around as the accident is coming off his record!

We have The Hartford, maybe they are insuring us because 3 yrs. ago my son got in a wreck, (He is 21 now) so with his age and the accident we are paying double what we used to pay for our other cars, (and about $1,800 a yr. for the 3 now) we do have a low deductible and 500/250 coverage, this month we get to shop around as the accident is coming off his record!
Good. Now I'm going to call them back and inform them that I know somebody else who insures their Model 3 with The Hartford. Thank you for your reply!

PS. We have a son the same age (21) who recently wrecked one of our cars. But they said that had nothing to do with it.

Years ago I had a friend raving about how awesome The Hartford was and that I should switch over to them from my current provider.

I then discovered that The Hartford won't insure motorcycles and had some other weird things around motorcycle owners.

No thanks, if they don't need my business I don't need them, plenty of other companies to choose from.

Reactions: C141medic
Insurance companies don’t reward long term customers - they take advantage of them by charging them more. It’s time to requote all your policies with several other providers. Check out Clark Howard’s recommendations.

Truth. I’ve learned you need to occasionally change insurance companies because as MikeATL said; they just charge you more.

They won't insure all your cars but require that you insure all of them with them. What kind of company is that? If they won't insure something then you certainly should have the right to insure that vehicle elsewhere where you can get coverage. Sorry, I'd pull all my business from them and tell them why. If you ever got into an accident with your Roadster I would have serious concerns about making you whole especially if the accident was unfortunately your fault.

So are you not buying a Model 3 now because you love this company so much??

Insurance companies don’t reward long term customers - they take advantage of them by charging them more. It’s time to requote all your policies with several other providers. Check out Clark Howard’s recommendations.

I have to agree with this sentiment. With Geico for 15 years not one claim; chose to shop around because of P3D+ and Geico was significantly more. Call at least 4 companies. Make sure you compare Apples to Apples.

• Informative
Reactions: Big-T and MikeATL
I used to find this to be true. Insurance companies lure you in with a low initial rate and then raise rates over a few years. They count on you being too lazy to move to another insurance co. However, every time I've shopped it around I've never found another company that was competitive.

Heard that The Hartford is continuing to insure Tesla that have current Hartford coverage, but are not taking on additional Tesla.

Believe they want to get some experience with their current fleet before adding a bunch more.

Good insurance company.
I'd like to think what you heard is true (insuring Teslas w/ existing policy holders). It's certainly not what they told us. I'm going to call them again and suggest this idea. I agree they've always been a good insurance company... until now.