Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2020 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I spoke to Tesla this morning to confirm the car registration so I can insure the car.
The nice lady said they won't give me a registration number until I pick up on the day (or one day before if I'm really lucky) but said the car insurer will accept the VIN number.

I spoke to the insurance company who said they need the registration number before cover can start and will not insure based on the VIN.

So as it stand, I get to Tesla, pick up the car, ring my insurance and provide them the registration over the phone, wait for them to confirm I am insured and then I am able to drive off? Just seems a bit weird and I don't want there to be any issues on collection.

On a side note,
I looked for insurance through price comparison websites and Churchill was a 1/3 of the price of the others, he said the quote is valid for 30 days and won't change. What Insurers have you found that are reasonably priced?
Bear in mind I live in a postcode that isnt great for car insurance and have had two accidents in two years :( both non fault :/

Cheers

One thing to note with Churchill, if you call Churchill, once you have your quote, then tell them you have autopilot, they can find another 5% off, Then can find it under modifications.

Welcome to the forum!

You don’t need to overlap your insurance. Check your existing policy, if it ends at midnight on, say 15th, just start your new policy from the 16th.

I’ve got GAP insurance, but it’s up to you. I don’t know what Directline are quoting, but the cheapest I found (and bought) was from www.totallossgap.co.uk

Just to add to this, when phoning your existing insurer to cancel, first ask them to quote for your Tesla. Mine (esure) were unable to provide cover and so waived the cancellation fee as it wasn't my fault it had to be cancelled, saved £50.

Hoping for some insurance paperwork from Churchill before I head over to Southampton docks to collect my M3LR at 2pm today.
Just checked the askMid link and can confirm that they say my insurance is registered and active from 00:01 as requested from Churchill.
So if nothing else I have a screendump from the askMid page to prove there's insurance.
Thanks for that link :)

Hoping for some insurance paperwork from Churchill before I head over to Southampton docks to collect my M3LR at 2pm today.
Just checked the askMid link and can confirm that they say my insurance is registered and active from 00:01 as requested from Churchill.
So if nothing else I have a screendump from the askMid page to prove there's insurance.
Thanks for that link :)

Dont worry, you won't be asked about your insurance. Just make sure you take your driving licence with you. Ours was on very near 90% charge when we collected from there.

Hope you enjoy your collection:)

Had a renewal quote from LVE gone up about £80 since last year to £540.
Last year bought through GoCompare as they had free £250 excess, you have to go via GoCompare each year to benefit from the free excess, so I decided to try the same path.
I was horrified by the results, the minimum quote was around £1400 and LVE wasn’t even listed.
As others have mentioned Churchill have been offering competitive quotes I thought I would check them out.
Good result: £394, then I gave them a ring and mentioned Autopilot and had another £20+ reduction. After accepting that figure I was then told that I had Churchill house insurance (I’d forgotten about that) so more discount, the end result was a very acceptable £339. Ok, this was based on a total excess of £900, but that was covered by Best Price FS for £45.
I’m happy

Reactions: Roy W.
Thank God I found this thread...! I've always been with Direct Line on previous cars but I found the quote I was getting for my M3 (yet to be collected) quite high, albeit cheaper than LV and others - I assumed that with Direct Line being the "official" Tesla partner, they would be the cheapest...

...However just tried Churchill and their quote is £200 cheaper and even includes Green Flag! Crazy.

Now I just need a Reg number so I can proceed... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Roy W.
If you've got the multicar discount with Churchill and you get rid of your other (petrol?) car, as we did, you'll find there's a fair price jump. We went from £321 to £451 with that plus upping from the 6K miles estimate to the actual 9K miles we did in the last year. Still, that's way below Novo who, on the phone just now, said that the lowest tier of insurance they do STARTS at over £700.

So... Churchill it is!

Just got off the phone from Churchill. They were very helpful in that, although we told them we only have one vehicle as opposed to the two we had when we took out insurance last year, they said they'd keep the multi-car discount on for the next year because that's what it said on the renewal offer letter and they'd honour that. Er... OK. Not going to argue with that.

Also clarified that you can always take a low estimate of your mileage and, if you reach that during the year, call up and extend the mileage and pay the difference then. This was news to me. In these uncertain times, it makes sense to do that because with lockdown and travel restrictions you might find that you travel less than you thought you would over the coming year and would be overinsured.

Just called up Churchill... Then he asked whether the car had 'Tesla Autopilot' software, I said yes. With him adding that to my quote it knocked around £45 off.

So - those of you getting online quotes with Churchill, it's certainly worth a quick call to tell them the car has autopilot! Should knock a few quid off.

I asked about this, but the woman told me that as it's standard fare for a M3, it shouldn't alter the price. She found it (eventually) and checked it and it made absolutely no difference. She said she couldn't see how it would reduce the price. So, you could still try asking for it but YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: pow216 and JS77
All other manufacturers I have dealt with BMW, Merc and Jaguar have automatically given you 7 days free insurance which covers you until you are fixed up and acts as a sales pitch for the insurer. Not at Tesla though? Too difficult?
In the good old days of course an insurance company would automatically give you a 7 day cover note for the same reason.

Moderator comment - posts merged from "Insurance"

I am due to pick up my M3 in 2 weeks and have been looking at insurance options. Also have an ICE that I can switch for a combined deal to get discount. I am with Aviva for my current car and they wanted a ridiculous premium for the Tesla.

ByMiles look interesting, a fixed base cost and charged per mile on top. Does anyone have insurance and, more importantly, any experience when lodging a claim?

Any advice from other UK drivers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got insured through Churchill. 23 with no claims for almost bang on £1,000. Pretty happy with that. As the next cheapest was Admiral at £1.6k with a black box

Had to call up to add the plate before ordering, and as the 2021 model year wasn’t availability yet online. The advisor ‘suggested’ adding autopilot as a modification, which knocked the price down by £60. Overall, very happy.

I've gone with Churchill (arranged last week) for £428 inc extras like legal assistance (would have otherwise been under £400). Often works out cheaper if you add other people onto the insurance as additional drivers e.g. a partner at same address.