Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance is a licence to print money theses days!
Back in the 70’s when I was 19 and my wife, then girlfriend was 16, we taxed and insured our 2-seater moped for about ten pounds.
Even our 650 Bonneville was only £45 for both of us to drive. We did both have full bike licences.
Her car recently came up for renewal at over £400. That was more than my M3.
with a bit of surfing comparison sites and a tiny amount of haggling, her insurer dropped it to £245

Reactions: marcopolomt
To be fair the acceleration rate on an M3 and a learner wrong footing a pedal would be 'interesting'

It takes me back to a driving lesson for my daughter.. she thought it was the brake pedal, car went faster, so she pressed harder. At least I had handbrake as well as wrenching the wheel from her to avoid catastrophe in an old slow clunker..
Taught 2 of my kids their first few driving lessons. First lesson with the car out of gear: Practice getting the engine up to 2000 or 3000 rpm and back to idle to get the feel of the accelerator pedal. When they've got that then they show me how quick they can stomp on the brake when I say. If they can do that that reliably a few times then we're ready for first gear.
Not a clue how I'd do it in a Tesla. You can hold the Park button to stop the car but in a RHD model I doubt I could reach it very quickly.

Taught 2 of my kids their first few driving lessons. First lesson with the car out of gear: Practice getting the engine up to 2000 or 3000 rpm and back to idle to get the feel of the accelerator pedal. When they've got that then they show me how quick they can stomp on the brake when I say. If they can do that that reliably a few times then we're ready for first gear.
Not a clue how I'd do it in a Tesla. You can hold the Park button to stop the car but in a RHD model I doubt I could reach it very quickly.
Never considered that! You’re right. In an emergency, you are pretty well stuffed!

Tesla do have a brake pedal, have you not found it yet!

My daughters first lesson was in the M3 in an empty carpark. I thought it would be a good way to teach her how to steer without her having to worry about gears or stalling. I did put it in chill though.
Good point to note for the op or anyone else thinking of using an M3 for a learner. The bonnet is aluminium so standard magnetic L plates are completely useless.

Reactions: marcopolomt
So, got a great trade-in deal for my leaf giving me around £8500 deposit so finally ready to order my model 3.

The excitement was swiftly quelled when I looked at insurance for both me and my partner who only has a provisional licence. The cheapest quote has been around £3k which is insane. With her off the insurance, I'm back down to leaf levels despite me picking up 3 points this last year.

Has anybody been through something similar? I'm 40, and she is 36 so not really young. The other option is just to insure myself and set up temporary insurance in blocks through a service like Veygo. Any advice is appreciated.
Same here for me and my insurance with DL is £1100- which isn’t £3,000! But still quite a lot compared to others on here.
I’m in London though and wonder that probably influences quite a lot!

Out of interest anyone else in London with similar insurance costs?

yep, did search before posting
I've gone with LV to get multi car discount and you get a new car replacement in first year if write off So I'll take out Gap Insurance in a years time -probably with ALA . Before I discovered that I was wondering about GAP insurance as replacement car or return to invoice . Would probably have gone for return to invoice as suspect cost of Tesla models will come down as rival manufacturers eye up the 30% margins on Tesla right now. Did find it £56 cheaper to go for £1000 excess on LV policy and insuring that excess with ALA

I've gone with LV to get multi car discount and you get a new car replacement in first year if write off So I'll take out Gap Insurance in a years time -probably with ALA . Before I discovered that I was wondering about GAP insurance as replacement car or return to invoice . Would probably have gone for return to invoice as suspect cost of Tesla models will come down as rival manufacturers eye up the 30% margins on Tesla right now. Did find it £56 cheaper to go for £1000 excess on LV policy and insuring that excess with ALA
LV Victoria far too expensive for me !