Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance just follows no patterns - you just plug in the figures and hit the randomiser.

All my quotes come in around £540 (maybe 10 of them within £10 which is pretty consistent). Direct Line quoted £975!

Admiral seem to be the best which is £542 when I quote just for me. When I get a quote for me adding it alongside my wife's Admiral policy which she has for her car to get the Multicar discount (so still a quote for me in my own right but just 2 policies in the household so a discount), it makes my quote around £700! Even Admiral couldn't explain to me what on earth was going on.

Oh and on a stranger note, I plan to tint the windows, so told Admiral and they reduced my quote down to £536, so £6 cheaper if I tint the windows. What on earth are they doing, is it monkeys with typewriters??

Reactions: will_wonka
Insurance just follows no patterns - you just plug in the figures and hit the randomiser.

All my quotes come in around £540 (maybe 10 of them within £10 which is pretty consistent). Direct Line quoted £975!

Admiral seem to be the best which is £542 when I quote just for me. When I get a quote for me adding it alongside my wife's Admiral policy which she has for her car to get the Multicar discount (so still a quote for me in my own right but just 2 policies in the household so a discount), it makes my quote around £700! Even Admiral couldn't explain to me what on earth was going on.

Oh and on a stranger note, I plan to tint the windows, so told Admiral and they reduced my quote down to £536, so £6 cheaper if I tint the windows. What on earth are they doing, is it monkeys with typewriters??
With Churchill my quote increased by £3 if I had the rear windows tinted 😂. Random!!

• Funny
Reactions: PSmigg
M3P no voluntary excess all bells and whistles bar breakdown from churchill at 520. they are super helpful. quote was originally through money supermarket and fine tuned direct. they call back instead of hours on the phone waiting. no change for swapping reg when the job is done. approx 36pct discount for no claims

Reactions: btc1k
Moderator comment - post moved from "Insurance for partner"

I had an insurance quote from DL for me and my partner. It has now expired as its over 30 days. Tried for a new quote and it keeps getting declined. Same with LV and Churchill. It seem the issue is because my partners licence is a few weeks under 2 years. Is there any way round this? She will kill me if she is not allowed to drive😬. Not sure if its appropriate for her to drive with her car insurance which gives third party cover to drive any car.

Any advise on a way forward is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an insurance quote from DL for me and my partner. It has now expired as its over 30 days. Tried for a new quote and it keeps getting declined. Same with LV and Churchill. It seem the issue is because my partners licence is a few weeks under 2 years. Is there any way round this? She will kill me if she is not allowed to drive😬. Not sure if its appropriate for her to drive with her car insurance which gives third party cover to drive any car.

Any advise on a way forward is appreciated.
wait two weeks?

or

change the duration of her licence to be just over 2 years. get some quotes on Money supermarket to find the cheapest. Take out a policy just for you with that insurer then when she is over 2 years add her on as a change.

^ this

Not sure if its appropriate for her to drive with her car insurance which gives third party cover to drive any car.

Most (all?) insurers treat that clause as for emergency use only. So apart from you only probably being covered for third party only (you may find a clause that prevents a comprehensive claim if caused by close family/household member, under age etc), the insurance company is likely to want to know for what reason she was driving - I only found this out when wanting to do similar with a temporary vehicle and discussing it with insurers who categorically said no.

Reactions: Dooo
wait two weeks?

or

change the duration of her licence to be just over 2 years. get some quotes on Money supermarket to find the cheapest. Take out a policy just for you with that insurer then when she is over 2 years add her on as a change.
Just realise it's 5 weeks wait😬

Confirmed from one insurer earlier I if I add another driver in 5 weeks it will still be refused as it uses the insurance start date to determine licence age.
I thought of taking out temporary insurance for one month but tried one and it doesn't insure tesla.

I am wondering If i should take out a full year and cancel after one month. Take the hit for cancellation and take a new policy.

Insured mine for £814.

I annoyingly picked up 3 points for a SP30 (mobile van parked out of sight over the crest of a hill :( ) in January which is why it's a bit higher than I'd like.

£300 total excess but I also used GoCompare for their £250 free excess cover, so only £50 out of pocket if anything goes wrong. And also because I get £33 back from TopCashback through GC.

Just ordered an M3 LR and looking at insuring it. I'm more than a little shocked by the cost.
I'm in my mid 40's 9+ years no claims. I've rarely paid more than £400/y fully comp in my life time, but after searching everywhere I can think (following MSE advice) the cheapest is coming in c. £900 and that's with a £700 excess.
Is this reasonable or am I doing something wrong here?
I have added the 19" sport wheels and FSD which puts the total value up to £57,800 is this what's pushing the cost up?
Also:
Can I assume that the Tesla tracking function means I can tick the "vehicle is fitted with a tracker" option?
Are the wheels and FSD options considered modifications for insurance purposes? I'd have though not as I'm buying the car with them already fitted.
Any other tips for saving money on insurance?

Just ordered an M3 LR and looking at insuring it. I'm more than a little shocked by the cost.
I'm in my mid 40's 9+ years no claims. I've rarely paid more than £400/y fully comp in my life time, but after searching everywhere I can think (following MSE advice) the cheapest is coming in c. £900 and that's with a £700 excess.
Is this reasonable or am I doing something wrong here?
I have added the 19" sport wheels and FSD which puts the total value up to £57,800 is this what's pushing the cost up?
Also:
Can I assume that the Tesla tracking function means I can tick the "vehicle is fitted with a tracker" option?
Are the wheels and FSD options considered modifications for insurance purposes? I'd have though not as I'm buying the car with them already fitted.
Any other tips for saving money on insurance?
Similar profile as myself although obviously other factors affect the price and my LR order is pretty bog standard with no upgraded wheels or add-ons. Cheapest I could get was just over £500 with LV. That was with my wife added on. Without her on, it was around £100 more. Have you tried adding someone else on to the policy?

Similar profile as myself although obviously other factors affect the price and my LR order is pretty bog standard with no upgraded wheels or add-ons. Cheapest I could get was just over £500 with LV. That was with my wife added on. Without her on, it was around £100 more. Have you tried adding someone else on to the policy?
The only other drivers in the family are in their twenties. Maybe I could add the old guy next door :D

Was doing some quotes last night as i got my Reg number and mine were all over the place. Cheapest for myself (33Yrs Old 10 yeard NCB) was about the £650 mark with Churchill, if i add my dad it came down to £550. The did the same with Privilege which is the same as churchill anyway it appeared at £507 for some reason. I saved that quote and will phone them up to purchase closer to delivery. For some reason even though i did put in my reg as it's obviously not recognised so cant buy online. Other quotes from direct line and LV and aviva were all in the £700-900 range

I was just going to change over my current insurance(AXA) but on trying saying they don't insure Tesla's