Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance troubles May 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's leasing for you. As @Jason71 said this isn't remotely unusual.

Lease customers generally don't get the V5C, because they never (theoretically) own the car. Having the V5C allows you to bypass various things the lease company might want to disallow or charge extra for as well, e.g. plate changes.

PCP customers get the V5C because it's assume they are going to be buying the car (hence the "Purchase" part), although I assume many don't.
I have always been surprised the Police accept it. Without the V5 registered to the actual keeper they have no way to quickly trace the driver of a vehicle. So in say a hit and run where someone gets the plate they police would have to go through the finance company to find out who was likely to be driving which could take days giving plenty of time for things like sobering up.
Maybe they have access to say the Motor insurance Database and can find it another way?

I have always been surprised the Police accept it. Without the V5 registered to the actual keeper they have no way to quickly trace the driver of a vehicle. So in say a hit and run where someone gets the plate they police would have to go through the finance company to find out who was likely to be driving which could take days giving plenty of time for things like sobering up.
Maybe they have access to say the Motor insurance Database and can find it another way?
but that's what happens when they catch you speeding with company car)
they send ticket to owner (lease company), they forward to employer, employer forward to you. then it is your duty to either face consequences or to name who was driving

There is alot of bad information being stated on this thread regarding what constitutes the Registered Keeper of a vehicle. The reason any or all of you struggling with insurance quotes is bacause you are stating you are NOT the keeper of a vehicle when you are.

Here are the absolute stone cold facts:

The (V5) registered keeper is the person responsible for the vehicle, its maintenance, roadworthiness and the recipient of communications from the DVLA and emergency services such as the Police. A registered keeper should be the person who will be using the vehicle. Therefore, only an individual persons name should be seen on a V5.

When you obtain insurance quotes, if you have possession of a vehicle (take it home each evening and have day to day possession) then you are legally and factually the KEEPER of the vehicle. This is REGARDLESS OF WHAT IT SAYS ON THE V5. In this scenario it is the V5 that is legally and factually incorrect and thus leads to problems such as the thread starter failing to be able to get quotes at all.

Add AVIVA "We're sorry but we won't be able to provide you with cover online or over the phone" - Starting to wonder what I'm doing wrong. I select that I'm not the registered keeper or legal owner and select "Company". Miles is 10k per year, 10 NCD.
Call them up, don't use the websites. I find they never quote properly apart from main ones like Direct Line/Churchil etc

There is alot of bad information being stated on this thread regarding what constitutes the Registered Keeper of a vehicle. The reason any or all of you struggling with insurance quotes is bacause you are stating you are NOT the keeper of a vehicle when you are.

The (V5) registered keeper is the person responsible for the vehicle, its maintenance, roadworthiness and the recipient of communications from the DVLA and emergency services such as the Police. A registered keeper should be the person who will be using the vehicle. Therefore, only an individual persons name should be seen on a V5.

When you obtain insurance quotes, if you have possession of a vehicle (take it home each evening and have day to day possession) then you are legally and factually the KEEPER of the vehicle. This is REGARDLESS OF WHAT IT SAYS ON THE V5. In this scenario it is the V5 that is legally and factually incorrect and thus leads to problems such as the thread starter failing to be able to get quotes at all.
Sorry, but this is wrong.

When you get a car through Contract Hire (you will also see this referred to as Business or Personal Contract Hire or BCH/PCH), you are essentially renting a vehicle which you will then hand back at the end of your agreement. As the Finance House you’re leasing from has a financial interest in the vehicle, they will be listed as the Registered Keeper as well the owner.

Hence, when you receive a parking ticket, the finance company pays for it and charges an admin fee.
They are also responsible for taxing the vehicle and receive reminders from the DVLA which the lessee never gets to see.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cardo and btc1k
Hence, when you receive a parking ticket, the finance company pays for it and charges an admin fee.
They are also responsible for taxing the vehicle and receive reminders from the DVLA which the lessee never gets to see.
from my experience: it depends. Arval sent speeding ticket to my employer, employer sent it to me. Arval or employer paid nothing.

I'm wondering if that's the issue, why would they require a tracking device to be fitted?

From insurance company viewpoint a "Tracker" is a Thatcham approved device ... and although you can find your car on your phone APP and see its wheels spin :) and where it is heading ... it aint Thatcham approved.

My insurer requires Tracker if the car value is over £X. My car is a bit more than that, I asked them if I could set the value as £X to avoid having to have a tracker fitted / subscription / stuff (and if tracker is not operational, on the day its knicked, I'd probably be uninsured) and they said "Yes". They make no allowance for what the car's capabilities are, nor the likelihood of Plod being able to track it, its just "Price is over £X it must have a Tracker"

Yes, but you didn't receive it directly which proves the Registered Keeper isn't always the person using the vehicle.
no. that it not correct.
I was the sole and only user of the vehicle. it was a company car. But it was leased via Arval, my employer was paying lease/service/insurance/whatever costs and I have not seen any V5.

but it was me who paid the speeding fine and it was also me who had to pay the parking ticket - all these were forwarded to me from Arval via employer

Why are insurers so wary of Tesla's? Are owners driving them into lamp posts or something?
Some years ago the HLDI in the U.S. concluded Teslas have a much higher accident frequency, higher accident severity and higher repair costs overall. While it's difficult to draw too many conclusions from this - until recently, Tesla ownership hasn't been representative of the wider market - these cars remain motorbike fast, expensive to buy, expensive to fix, and many of us needing the odd fix have had extended waits for parts (which translates directly to extended time in hire cars, all paid for by your and my insurer). There's also a scarcity of cheaper aftermarket spares meaning total reliance on costly OEM items, and even lightly damaged vehicles are getting written off as beyond economic repair.

I don't want to be the unhelpful guy who tells you this, but doing your homework in advance would have saved you the angst. These cars might be cheap to run on a salary sacrifice scheme, and cheap to refuel if you plan your movements carefully, but they are ruinously expensive in terms of insurance, out-of-warranty servicing & repairs and, worst of all, depreciation. If mine weren't a company car, the way its value has dropped like spanners down a lift shaft would honestly keep me up at night. You'd have to be nuts to own and operate one of these silly things yourself.

Some years ago the HLDI in the U.S. concluded Teslas have a much higher accident frequency, higher accident severity and higher repair costs overall. While it's difficult to draw too many conclusions from this - until recently, Tesla ownership hasn't been representative of the wider market - these cars remain motorbike fast, expensive to buy, expensive to fix, and many of us needing the odd fix have had extended waits for parts (which translates directly to extended time in hire cars, all paid for by your and my insurer). There's also a scarcity of cheaper aftermarket spares meaning total reliance on costly OEM items, and even lightly damaged vehicles are getting written off as beyond economic repair.

I don't want to be the unhelpful guy who tells you this, but doing your homework in advance would have saved you the angst. These cars might be cheap to run on a salary sacrifice scheme, and cheap to refuel if you plan your movements carefully, but they are ruinously expensive in terms of insurance, out-of-warranty servicing & repairs and, worst of all, depreciation. If mine weren't a company car, the way its value has dropped like spanners down a lift shaft would honestly keep me up at night. You'd have to be nuts to own and operate one of these silly things yourself.

100%. Only the fact that insurance is included in my salary sacrifice scheme and therefore the cost of it is reduced by my marginal rate makes it sensible in terms of cost.

Reactions: Leytonstone
. As the Finance House you’re leasing from has a financial interest in the vehicle,
Just like on a pcp or hp then and yet the keepers get the V5. The V5 as it clearly states on there, the Registered Keeper is not the legal owner.

The registered keeper is the person or entity responsible for taxing and insuring the vehicle. If that is the OP then the lease company are wrong.

Reactions: bobbychariot
From insurance company viewpoint a "Tracker" is a Thatcham approved device ... and although you can find your car on your phone APP and see its wheels spin :) and where it is heading ... it aint Thatcham approved.

My insurer requires Tracker if the car value is over £X. My car is a bit more than that, I asked them if I could set the value as £X to avoid having to have a tracker fitted / subscription / stuff (and if tracker is not operational, on the day its knicked, I'd probably be uninsured) and they said "Yes". They make no allowance for what the car's capabilities are, nor the likelihood of Plod being able to track it, its just "Price is over £X it must have a Tracker"
I'm insured with LV and they said it didn't need to be thatcham approved. Just that it could be tracked at all times. Wether it's trackable at all times is debatable but anyway.....

Reactions: WannabeOwner

I don't disagree with the principal but if the insurance company asks if you are the "registered keeper" and if your name is not on the V5 then you cannot answer "yes". You may be the keeper but you are not the "registered keeper".
It may be true that you SHOULD be the registered keeper based on the guidance from the DVLA but if your lease company will not put you on there, and most won't,like in the Ops case, then what are you suggesting he should do? lie?
Here is an example from Money Supermarket not much ambiguity there. it is not asking who reads the car a bed time story it is unambiguously asking whose name is on the official document.
1683056413740.png

Reactions: Cardo and Durzel
I've just purchased an M3; found quotes around £580 with Churchill however thats after including a voluntary excess of £250; bringing the total to £750.

Reason the insurance is so expensive for these vehicles is that as soon as there's the slightest of damage to the battery the vehicle is written off entirely in the event of an accident.

Started driving at 12 and married at 13.

No wonder he's a high risk.

Haha. Based on my digging, this person was in school in the 80's - 90's so the "2000" has nothing to do with year of birth... You know, that made me sound a lot creepier than intended. :oops:
I know. The 10 year NCB was a giveaway as for the 2000 not working out but I had to base it on something being that often age is the main culprit for insurance and this was omitted from the "declaration".

Hope the OP gets a better quote but these are still performance(relative to ice) cars and 1200 insurance for a tesla is not uncommon from past threads.

Maybe a quote for a long range might be better and this not uncommon either. Plenty of time to get quotes in (trying every day) and a toss of the coin often works as far as insurance goes 😬

I don't disagree with the principal but if the insurance company asks if you are the "registered keeper" and if your name is not on the V5 then you cannot answer "yes". You may be the keeper but you are not the "registered keeper".
It may be true that you SHOULD be the registered keeper based on the guidance from the DVLA but if your lease company will not put you on there, and most won't,like in the Ops case, then what are you suggesting he should do? lie?
Here is an example from Money Supermarket not much ambiguity there. it is not asking who reads the car a bed time story it is unambiguously asking whose name is on the official document.
View attachment 933877
I’d say thats unambiguous in its wording, but doesn’t add any clarity to the issue under discussion here. The question in your screenshot is ‘Are you the owner and registered keeper?’ so the answer to that question for the vast majority of people (anyone whose method of purchase was not cash or personal loan) is No. Mine is on PCP and I have the V5C with my name on it - yet by rights I should be answering No to that question, in the Tesla Finance docs it even mentions that you should notify the insurance company of their interest in the vehicle - it doesn’t state that you need to declare them the owners or keepers.

Reactions: Exy1
I've just purchased an M3; found quotes around £580 with Churchill however thats after including a voluntary excess of £250; bringing the total to £750.

Reason the insurance is so expensive for these vehicles is that as soon as there's the slightest of damage to the battery the vehicle is written off entirely in the event of an accident.
Expensive insurance isn’t a given for a Tesla though… and they all have the same battery risk. My SR+ was £230 in 2019 and last year had risen to £249.69 in 2022 with Churchill. I do choose to add additional voluntary excess so I have £1000 on that. My main advantage is living in a low crime and accident area, max no claims and retired (so no business use).