Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a Inventory Vehicle, it was driven prior to delivery and damaged in the process...HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You catch more flies with honey and vinegar. I'm sorry this happened to you, Tesla is clearly in the wrong, but reading between the lines your attitude doesn't seem to help much.

While doing so, we notice 3 deep scratches on the rear driver’s side bumper close to the wheel well, which we did not see the night before and could not possibly be responsible for.
Would do you mean you could not be responsible for them? You didn't check the car upon delivery and then drove for 8 miles to get home... Yes, they were likely there before, but it is your responsibility and a lot can happen in 8 miles.

Can you post pictures of the scratches? Are they road debris scratches or clearly not possible from road debris?

When we respond that we are not satisfied and that we think we should get the 2K$ upgrade to the 75d
Why do you think you are entitled to a $2k upgrade? :confused:

They screwed up, they offered you a free service in compensation, as well as a loaner while your car gets fixed. You ask them to give you something that's worth 4x more than what you got.

He admits that our car was driven from Tyson’s Corner to NJ (226 miles). Why have they kept our 1000$ for truck delivery when the service was never rendered and it was never disclosed that this substitution was made? Isn’t that perjury on top of a contractual lapse given it was part of the terms of payment and delivery of the product purchased?
Do you have it in a contract stating that the car will be delivered on a truck?

The way I see it, they had someone deliver the car from VA to NJ. Do you think that person works for free?

Next, the 1 year value based on the 3 year servicing appears to be $1600/3, or 535$. As far as I’m concerned, we haven’t even broken even on our delivery fee.
Again, people don't work for free.

Otherwise, our car is sitting in the garage because we wanted it wrapped before use to avoid wear and tear on the paint. So 2 months of insurance at 300/month = 600$
Seriously? Why not include interest on $85k into this calculation also? :confused:

We’ve spent another almost 7K on the in home charger install and required electrical work as well as the paint wrap.
That's irrelevant to what Tesla did wrong though, right? So why bring it up?

Reactions: BrokerDon
You catch more flies with honey and vinegar. I'm sorry this happened to you, Tesla is clearly in the wrong, but reading between the lines your attitude doesn't seem to help much.

Max, take a guess at what we tried first? Answer: Honey. We didn't even come to this forum until several weeks after trying to deal with our local Tesla unsuccessfully, seeking advice. One week response time on average to get any sort of reply, unless we drove there in person. We were more than pleasant and patient about the ripped seat disclosed only at the time of pickup on day 0 and subsequently for the next 1 month, before getting aggravated.

Would do you mean you could not be responsible for them? You didn't check the car upon delivery and then drove for 8 miles to get home... Yes, they were likely there before, but it is your responsibility and a lot can happen in 8 miles.

Can you post pictures of the scratches? Are they road debris scratches or clearly not possible from road debris?

Again, we picked up the car on a dark, rainy evening and the show room was not bright. As well, the car was angled diagonally next to a wall where the driver's side back could not be easily examined. Yes, we fully agree, we should have thoroughly inspected. We were naive, expecting a new car in new condition, and should have refused to take it home outside of daylight hours especially given the ripped seat only disclosed after signing final paperwork. And yes, we have pictures of the showroom lighting and the scratches, and they are not from road debris. The former we took out of excitement at the time of pickup, but they are useful now for other purposes.

Why do you think you are entitled to a $2k upgrade? :confused:

They screwed up, they offered you a free service in compensation, as well as a loaner while your car gets fixed. You ask them to give you something that's worth 4x more than what you got.

The loaner was being offered for a few days, actually - not while the car was being fixed (pickup EO Mar, repair 1st week May). We left our current 2 cars both insured, because we felt the need to not drive our new car until the 6 week service appointment -- in order to avoid accusations. Also, how much servicing does any brand new car need in the first two years, especially a Tesla, unless it's a lemon?

Do you have it in a contract stating that the car will be delivered on a truck?

The way I see it, they had someone deliver the car from VA to NJ. Do you think that person works for free?

We have a piece of paper signed at the time of purchase qualifying the odometer reading. We have 2 other pieces of paper reflecting a 400mi increase (approximately) on the day of pickup. Guess how far it is from the local Tesla to the location where the car originated? 226 miles. The local Tesla manager knows this is a problem and admitted it. He sees it as a problem even if you do not.

Again, people don't work for free.

What is the relevance of asking about working for free? You know how much a Tesla costs. Does this have anything to do with the significantly increased mileage beyond the manually-driven delivery?

Seriously? Why not include interest on $85k into this calculation also? :confused:

Max, I'm not seeing how your answer in any way supports your initial statement of Tesla doing something wrong and feeling any sympathy. We've gone about this professionally, taken good notes, and are being thorough in recounting this experience.

That's irrelevant to what Tesla did wrong though, right? So why bring it up?

The point of our post overall is how disappointed we are with Tesla service. Fortunately, we love the car. Tesla ruined our new car experience, and our first experience with a car of this caliber. The point of this part of our thread was to say we believed and went in trusting. My 10+ year old Lexus still gets me infinitely better customer service than I've experienced thus far with Tesla. And @JonMc asks for our VIN and hasn't reached back to us (~3 weeks later), so I guess this is the trickle-down service style or lack thereof. Being on this forum, we have learned that our type of experience is not unique and is not concerning to Tesla, despite the importance of happy and repeat customers to their success. Tesla needs to realize that they are the new kid on the block with cool technology and a distinctive product, but they have a bad reputation. And their lack of customer service is doing exponential damage through disgruntled customers. If another company like Lexus comes out with something competitive, it will be 'no contest' to go with them from my perspective.

Reactions: mmd
You took one (or more) of my comments out of context, intentionally...?
The $1k was a delivery fee. They delivered your car. They did it wrong (assuming you have proof it was supposed to be TRUCK delivered). But they did deliver it. So the fee has merits.

If you re-read my post, I never said the extra 400 miles isn't wrong, I just said that demanding $1k back because they didn't deliver your car is wrong, too.

And one last comment -- if you're going to compare your Tesla to your 10 year old Lexus, and are looking fro reasons to be disappointed -- you will be disappointed. Tesla QA/QC sucks. They have a high price tag, which people assume means the car will work properly, but that's not the case often (though not always).

My Tesla has been in for "minor" repairs 8 times (3 broken door handles, leaky sunroof, 12V issues, etc. etc.) in less than 2 years. My previous car, has been in for repairs maybe 3-5 times in a period of 10 years. My previous car cost a fraction of the cost of the Tesla though.

So you can take it in stride and hope it all boils over and you get to enjoy your almost new car once they fix it or continue to vent and steam and hate the company going forward.

Tesla needs to get their *sugar* together, and until they have real competition the delivery process, and QA/QC issues will continue to be hit or miss. And there's not a whole lot that you can do about it today (as you have found out, the hard way).

The point of our post overall is how disappointed we are with Tesla service. Fortunately, we love the car. Tesla ruined our new car experience, and our first experience with a car of this caliber. The point of this part of our thread was to say we believed and went in trusting. My 10+ year old Lexus still gets me infinitely better customer service than I've experienced thus far with Tesla. And @JonMc asks for our VIN and hasn't reached back to us (~3 weeks later), so I guess this is the trickle-down service style or lack thereof. Being on this forum, we have learned that our type of experience is not unique and is not concerning to Tesla, despite the importance of happy and repeat customers to their success. Tesla needs to realize that they are the new kid on the block with cool technology and a distinctive product, but they have a bad reputation. And their lack of customer service is doing exponential damage through disgruntled customers. If another company like Lexus comes out with something competitive, it will be 'no contest' to go with them from my perspective.

I've had my Model S for 8 months now and have been very disappointed with Tesla's quality and with Tesla's service.

I hope you get your issue resolved, or at least a response after 3 weeks.