Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing with direct line is they have wriggle room in their pricing. Every year they put the price up on renewal and every year I ask them what it will take to stop me from shopping around (I’ve already got an idea what others are offering) and every year they come back with a deal usually cheaper than the year before and better than I had seen elsewhere. Sometimes they want to play ‘adjust the excess’ but I tell them I’m after same as previous years terms so don’t entertain that and they usually come back with a deal I am happy to accept there and then on the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: Sirricardo
Wouldn't want to take the risk as they could increase it a lot.

If the comparethemarket link doesn't work for you then it seems DL, Churchill or Novo are the only options except for trade type insurance

Yeah it's a pretty precarious position really, isn't it! A car so new the insurance market don't know anything about it.

I can't remember which company it was where the call centre person asked me what a Tesla was, and whether it was a motorbike or a car. She was a bit baffled by my answer to 'what size engine does it have?'.

The idea of quoting for a completely different model of car (the S) makes zero sense however you look at it...

Admiral cheapest for me by a long way. £360 (annual price equivalent) for Model 3 Performance as part of a multi car policy.

I think Admiral have only recently sorted out adding Model 3 to their list (certainly available when you call them).

That said, I did have the following comedy moment when answering underwriting questions though:

“Is it an Electric Car”
Yes
“What is the engine size”
Er - it’s an electric car!
“Ok - is it manual or automatic”
Er - it’s an electric car!

I think they are still working on their call centre scripts - but the certificate clearly lists the correct car details

The whole insurance game follows the usual uk scam approach. I've just been playing around with a few on-line quotes for when my S comes up for renewal in 2 mths.. quotes are absurd compared to last years £400 with DL and it'll end up being a negotiation by phone nearer the time. I've had the same with private health ins where simply saying i'd drop that co. got the price down by 20%. In the case of car ins (touching wood) I've not had a claim in 40years and one speed awareness course but actuarial figures will show that as I'm coming up to 70 I'm in a higher risk group. One reason for getting the S was it's theoretical safety features i I did ever go funny in't head but I can see me ending up getting rid of it and going back to just using my 26yr old 200sx worth only a couple of hundred squid with no automatic safety features and sub £200 cover....pouring petrol into it would work out cheaper.

I was playing with the comparison sites last night and suddenly all the quotes flipped to >1k and the previously cheapest quote went to 3k. No changes to my details.. I presume some algorithm noticed I was quoting a lot and decided I was desparate. Each time I requoted the prices went up slightly.

Largely academic as I don't have a date yet but I hope I don't get caught by that if I don't hear about a reg number in time.

Has anyone tried churchill today? I went to look at my existing quotes, and when i try to go on it, brings up an error, when I try a new quote it says the can't insure me. They were the cheapest for me by miles.
I've had the exact same issue today too.

I'm now wondering if their prices will rocket...

upload_2019-8-7_11-2-12.png

Also, my direct line quote had 'expired' although I only did it last week. I've just logged back in, and SR+ / LR have been removed from the drop down, only P is listed now (£700 on requote).

Last edited:
Also, my direct line quote had 'expired' although I only did it last week. I've just logged back in, and SR+ / LR have been removed from the drop down, only P is listed now (£700 on requote).
It disappeared from DL a few days ago. They are still quoting on the phone though.

This is worrying...getting the same error!
It is worrying indeed, I have probably around another month until my car needs to be picked up, current quotes will expire, apparently someone has confirmed churchill will honor existing quotes, don't know about any new quotes though.

I will leave it a couple of weeks and see where we are, it's possible now that it is appearing on more sites that they have finally go the rating through, and possibly they will no longer insure it, or bumping the prices up...