Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my previous old banger I was with LV and had Britannia recovery, but looking like they’re pretty pricey as a stand-alone purchase. I also notice that when you purchase Direct Line insurance through Tesla I’m unable to add their Green Flag recovery to it. Looking at breakdown recovery alternatives I found Autoaid (as recommended by another Tesla community) the cheapest as they recover using flatbeds but when reading reviews from Which? and Trustpilot, they appear to be the worst out there… Britannia on the other hand is rated the highest. Guess you get what you pay for. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
I'm with Which? Recommended Breakdown Cover Provider 2021 | startrescue.co.uk but never had to use them so don't know if they'll be good/bad/indifferent for Tesla ... "Which" recommended and cheap though!

Reactions: Rirawin
I had a chat with Group Ratings at Thatcham today by email, which revealed that they "are still waiting on some information back from Tesla but hope to have these grouped soon". Consequently, this means the following insurers won't give a quote for Model Y even if you call them up (or quote online direct/comparison sites):

1st Central / Advance Insurance / BG Insurance / eSure / First Alternative / Nova Direct / Marshmallow / MORE TH>N* / Sheila’s Wheels

Luckily Model Y owners will be able to get quotes from these providers in time, this duck won't due to owning a 2016–19 Model S - unless Tesla decide to submit for security review to the British evaluator that so offended them with 50U (for unacceptable security) rating on the 2014+ models. Or those sites get their act together and LEFT/OUTER JOIN their way to a wider customer base.

Got my renewal quote back from Novo today..

Last year: £831
This year: £1072

No changes to circumstances since last year whatsoever.

Anyone else got suggestions for Tesla-friendly insurers that cover full PPF, dechrome and automatic boot/bonnet kits? 😓

I have just ordered a Model Y and I’m shocked by the insurance quotes! Confused.com only has 4 insurers quoting me, cheapest is £2k!!

My Model 3 is only £600 through Peugeot, but they won’t even quote on the Model Y, I get to the end of the process and it just says “unfortunately we are not able to provide you with a quote based on your information”

I have no claims in past 5 years, and just an SP30 over 4 years ago. What is going on?!

I'm starting to suspect that insurance providers other than the ones I listed earlier just simply decline when their system fails to join with the missing Thatcham Research insurance group rating. Fewer quotes = Less competition, and higher premiums. Peugeot Insurance also declined me this year, perhaps they’ve realised that Tesla aren't great from the insurer’s point of view. Some recent US stats (relative sector loss average percent) from 2018–2020:

Insurance Losses by Make and Model
Collision
Property
Comprehensive
Personal Injury
Medical
Bodily injury
Tesla Model S 4dr electric 4WD
134%
-1%
33%
-42%
-44%
-20%
Tesla Model X 4dr electric 4WD
172%
25%
62%
-37%
-24%
-5%
Tesla Model 3 electric 4dr
46%
-28%
7%
-37%
-32%
-40%
Tesla Model 3 electric 4dr 4WD
59%
-31%
18%
-42%
-37%
-43%

• Informative
Reactions: MikeeUK
Finally got my reg number for my delivery on the 25th so can sort insurance. I will ring PSA who insure my current car but seeing as they don’t quote for Model 3’s on their website then I can assume that will be a no go and I will go with the Vitality quote I have saved.

I've properly been taken to the cleaners!

I got a quote from Privilege about a month ago, which was very reasonable. Cheaper than my current car in fact. That quote expired on 1st March.

Today, same company, same information, albeit now I know my reg and precise pick up date. The quote is nearly double! I haven't been able to find a cheaper quote anywhere, so I had no choice but to go with it as I'm picking up on Monday.

I haven't paid an insurance premium like this since I was 18 years old and wanting to insure my first hot hatch. It's absolutely absurd!

I got a quote from Privilege about a month ago, which was very reasonable. Cheaper than my current car in fact. That quote expired on 1st March.

Today, same company, same information, albeit now I know my reg and precise pick up date. The quote is nearly double! I haven't been able to find a cheaper quote anywhere, so I had no choice but to go with it as I'm picking up on Monday.

I haven't paid an insurance premium like this since I was 18 years old and wanting to insure my first hot hatch. It's absolutely absurd!
That does sound crazy!

Have you tried Peugeot and Direct Line?

Took the Admiral Platinum cover today with business mileage for wife and I, added multi car and got the MY down to just over £640 from £840 which considering I had a no claim accident in 2019 (it was very minor) was a pleasant surprise.