Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Integrated Dash Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting for delivery I am contemplating installing a dash cam. I remember seeing a newer model cam that snapped in to the mirror mount providing a very factory look. I have been searching the forum and cannot find that thread. Can anyone confirm my recollection or point me to the thread?

I guess you are talking about Tesla Dashcam | Home

Yes, this is the one I remember. Tesla Dashcam.

I know the black view650 is a favorite around here. This "Tesla Cam" is clearly is superior as far as aesthetics and ease of install. Feature wise certainly not as robust and quality wise I'm not so sure. I believe in small quantities these could be had for around $300.

Does anyone have a better feel between the two choices?

Unfortunately the product at TeslaDashCam.com is so overpriced it's ridiculous. I'd look at it if it had a rear camera as well and was $250 max. $449 is outrageous.
Mind you they say they are based in Australia which is a very very expensive country for anything.

Unfortunately the product at TeslaDashCam.com is so overpriced it's ridiculous. I'd look at it if it had a rear camera as well and was $250 max. $449 is outrageous.
Mind you they say they are based in Australia which is a very very expensive country for anything.

I do like the look and ease of installation of the device.

But you are right that the price seems high. Maybe the $449 is Australian which I think is a bit over $300 US.

I do like the look and ease of installation of the device.

But you are right that the price seems high. Maybe the $449 is Australian which I think is a bit over $300 US.

You're spot on. It's $449 AU so about $330 US. Shipping is another $26 AU so total comes to $350 US.

I will say it is a slick package. Just wish they had more info on the site.

I know the black view650 is a favorite around here. This "Tesla Cam" is clearly is superior as far as aesthetics and ease of install. Feature wise certainly not as robust and quality wise I'm not so sure. I believe in small quantities these could be had for around $300.
From their FAQ it sounds as if it only records while you are in the car. Since it doesn't have a rear camera, good luck catching people when your car is parked.

Mind you they say they are based in Australia which is a very very expensive country for anything.[/QUOTE]
From their FAQ it sounds as if it only records while you are in the car. Since it doesn't have a rear camera, good luck catching people when your car is parked.

Not having a rear camera is certainly a drawback. But the ease and look of the installation is a big plus. Besides, for me the biggest reason to have one is for moving violations and who is liable in accidents. I'm not as concerned about catching people when I am not in the vehicle.

I am thinking a group buy can get these for under $200.

On other topics on this forum there are direct links to the chinese webshops. Also with videos and tech specs. Search for Tesla DVR on google. Best factory look, but not the nice features as the popular blackvue.

O. Best factory look, but not the nice features as the popular blackvue.

This is the value proposition I am trying to get my arms around. What would be the top two or three features that this unit would be missing (besides not having a rear camera option)?

Also, for those who opted just for the black view front camera install, how difficult and how long did that installation take?

This is the value proposition I am trying to get my arms around. What would be the top two or three features that this unit would be missing (besides not having a rear camera option)?
Missing features in my opinion are parking mode, incident log and gps log. Also no possibility for rear view camera if wanted.
Maybe it is possible to create parking mode if you take constant power somewhere.

Missing features in my opinion are parking mode, incident log and gps log. Also no possibility for rear view camera if wanted.
Maybe it is possible to create parking mode if you take constant power somewhere.

See, none of those are deal breakers for me. I've run the mini 0805 for almost 2 years and it's been solid. I've never felt like I needed additional features. I always park way out and visibleTesla takes care of the GPS. And if there is an incident to address, I'm taking a look within 24hrs, so no chance for footage to be overwritten.

Not having a rear camera is certainly a drawback. But the ease and look of the installation is a big plus. Besides, for me the biggest reason to have one is for moving violations and who is liable in accidents. I'm not as concerned about catching people when I am not in the vehicle.
Ease is debatable since it is a single channel camera. If they were all mounted in that same area on the windshield they are all relatively easy to install due to the 12V available in the microphone area.

I know. I will probably order one when I get my MS next week. Love the factory look. It is the exact same housing method as the standard camera in my Audi A5.

Very interesting! Are you saying the Audi A5 comes with this camera standard and this Audi unit is a drop-in replacement for a MS?

On another note, I'm sure it is been addressed somewhere, why is it not possible to tap into the existing Tesla rear camera feed and avoid the (comparatively difficult) installation process of the rear camera?