Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting article on charger locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My (and wife's) experience with Tesla SuperChargers is different. Maybe Maddie should reconsider the make of EV she drives if security is paramount?

Only one Destination Charger we encountered was at the back of a deserted hotel car park (in France).

(We won't be returning there, not as a result of the location of the charger. They added 10€ to our bill for the privilege - more than the equivalent amount of energy had we just bopped along the road to an SC. The charger fee was not disclosed in advance.)

Reactions: Yev000
She makes a very good point, I’d not like to think it was my wife in that situation.
Hopefully in years to come they’ll be loads available at “petrol” station forecourts (plenty of lights/cameras and an attendant in the shop) and it’ll be safer than a back alley.

She makes a very good point, I’d not like to think it was my wife in that situation.
Hopefully in years to come they’ll be loads available at “petrol” station forecourts (plenty of lights/cameras and an attendant in the shop) and it’ll be safer than a back alley.

Yes that is the way it will go if that place in Essex? Is successful.

Your choice of EV shouldn't matter in regards to charging safety. Though a bad area is still bad lights or not. Plus we all know how awful the charging infrastructure is.

Reactions: CaptainBurrito
It's not been a problem for me yet, but I did notice that the local Polar 7kW charger (the only one in the rural town nearest to home) is tucked around the back of the (unmanned) Fire Station, without lighting.

I definitely can see how this could feel uncomfortable for someone late at night, in the dark, rain, etc.

If there are other chargers that have been installed simply because that was where it was convenient, it's a shame that so little thought was put in to it.

Conversely, I'm working away at the moment, charging twice a week in a multi-storey car park I would park in anyway, charging is free, there's good lighting, CCTV, the access is locked overnight, etc. so it's not all terrible.

I watch a lot of Bjorn Nyland's videos on YouTube. Norway seems to have amazing, well-lit charging stops. I guess they are well ahead of the game in terms of infrastructure.

There's been a strong push from government through tax incentives etc and it has really paid dividends. They also invested in the charging infrastructure so the issues we have are quite different. At first sight Norway should be more of a challenge for an EV than some other countries ... cold weather .. mountainous geography ... yet they have shown the way. We are still waiting for the magic solutions delivered by commercial supply and demand with just a few add-on incentives ... and I'm sure that will work ... but much more slowly.

My (and wife's) experience with Tesla SuperChargers is different. Maybe Maddie should reconsider the make of EV she drives if security is paramount?

Only one Destination Charger we encountered was at the back of a deserted hotel car park (in France).

I agree there is a distinct difference in placement/facilities.

But what you're saying is: if she wants to stay safe, buy a Tesla?!!

It shouldn't be left to her to use her market power to ensure her safety/security. All charge point operators should be taking this into account.

I agree there is a distinct difference in placement/facilities.

But what you're saying is: if she wants to stay safe, buy a Tesla?!!

It shouldn't be left to her to use her market power to ensure her safety/security. All charge point operators should be taking this into account.

Agreed that market forces will encourage change in the fullness of time BUT if the lady wants security nowish, she'd be better off, in the main, with a Tesla at a Supercharger

@Columbo I am surprised that there is no surveillance camera at any Tesla SuperChargers.

Surveillance cameras could share a dual purpose of
- protecting drivers, so any incident could be monitored and recorded, and also
- to detect any fire or other hazards occurring to cars left unattended while charging.

Surveillance camera could be used also to prevent and record any vandalism.

In Europe cars have a Panic button that can put you in touch with an emergency service.

Note: If you don't feel secure driving at night, I would recommend installing a dashcam connected to the cloud,
so you can have someone of your family watching a life stream of your whereabouts.

Surveillance camera are very comment at gas stations.
This is very useful in case of attack while someone is refueling.

Last edited:
@Columbo I am surprised that there is no surveillance camera at any Tesla SuperChargers.

Surveillance cameras could share a dual purpose of
- protecting drivers, so any incident could be monitored and recorded, and also
- to detect any fire or other hazards occurring to cars left unattended while charging.

Surveillance camera could be used also to prevent or record any vandalism.

In Europe cars have a Panic button that can put you in touch with an emergency service.

If you don't feel secure driving at night, I would recommend installing a dashcam connected to the cloud,
so I can have someone of your family could watch a life stream of your whereabouts.

Surveillance camera are very comment at gas stations.
This is very useful in case of attack while someone was refueling.

How about WiFi hotspots at SCs? Surely not beyond the wit of Tesla's logistics imagineers.

My M3 has an SOS button next to the 4 way flashers. Maybe not standard equipment in MS or MX?

I was there daytime so not sure about lighting.

Adequate if the street light is working although not helped by the site feeling pretty much deserted (even pre Covid) so you feel that you shouldn't be there. I'm sure its more busy during the working day.

And mind the kerb in the way out. Its a tight turn on you way out in the dark.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3noob
Agreed that market forces will encourage change in the fullness of time BUT if the lady wants security nowish, she'd be better off, in the main, with a Tesla at a Supercharger

Except that Teslas are not yet within everyone's budget.

Perhaps a rule that says if you sell petrol/diesel you must provide at least one fast charger. This would mean that plenty of chargers would be somewhere well lit with other people around.