Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Observation with TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I were driving on the Skyline Drive in Virginia and I noticed something very interesting with TACC. The Skyline Drive is a relatively windy mountain top road with a speed limit of 35mph in the Shenandoah National Park. I set TACC to 40mph and as we went around sharp curves, the TACC would slow the car down to the proper speed to go around the curve just before it entered the turn (usually to 30-35mph). At first, I though it was a mistake with TACC, but it happened around every curve where 40mph would have been a little too fast. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if TACC has always done this? Does it use GPS to judge the proper speed for the upcoming curve? I'm just curious about it so any info would be great.

My understanding is it didn't used to do it when the feature was first released. But, then it was added to it during some 7.X version.

Some people love the feature, and other people wish they could turn it off.

Personally I'd prefer to turn it of, but I haven't had any bad experiences with it. I do use the throttle to bring it back up to a proper corning speed (10 over the speed limit). I don't want to drive like an old grandma through the corner.

Reactions: Alex Van Ness
My wife and I were driving on the Skyline Drive in Virginia and I noticed something very interesting with TACC. The Skyline Drive is a relatively windy mountain top road with a speed limit of 35mph in the Shenandoah National Park. I set TACC to 40mph and as we went around sharp curves, the TACC would slow the car down to the proper speed to go around the curve just before it entered the turn (usually to 30-35mph).

I noticed the same thing on the same highway a couple months ago!

I was impressed with its performance. very smooth and didn't slow down TOO much.

Reactions: Alex Van Ness
I recently tested the TACC on the Pacific Coast Highway and my experience has been roughly the same. It might be my imagination but I think it did a better job of slowing thru the curve when the big, yellow > > > signs bracket the curve.

I have AP but don't trust it on curvy, 2-lane roads with heavy traffic. Too often it would exhibit the "lurch" toward oncoming traffic that a few others here have reported.

I recently tested the TACC on the Pacific Coast Highway and my experience has been roughly the same. It might be my imagination but I think it did a better job of slowing thru the curve when the big, yellow > > > signs bracket the curve.

I have AP but don't trust it on curvy, 2-lane roads with heavy traffic. Too often it would exhibit the "lurch" toward oncoming traffic that a few others here have reported.
I completely agree. I did not have auto pilot on. I tried it for about 2 minutes and realized it could not handle the curvy road.