Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting occurance this morning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was getting ready to leave the house this morning, went to the garage to unplug, and did so as I normally would. Then as I hung the cable back up I realized, wait, I don't have a fob in my pocket. I knew this specifically because I just returned from vacation last night and had put both fobs inside the house in a different place than normal (just in case the teenager left at home for the weekend had any brilliant ideas).

I second guessed myself and thought, maybe I really left one inside the car and only moved one fob, so I pushed on the door handle and it presented. No fob inside. Just for kicks, I tried to put the car in reverse...and it did, and I backed out of the garage!

Well, I thought it must be in the car somewhere, but just to make sure I wasn't locked out or stranded at my first stop, I went back in for the other fob - both of them were in the house!

Any thoughts on how I was able to:
- disconnect the charge cable
- open the car
- put the car in reverse and back out

All without a fob near the car? The only thing I could think of was that there was an update where I missed the notification that now allows the phone/app to work as a key on the S like it does the 3? (I did have my phone in my pocket this whole time)

Any thoughts or similar stories out there?

So I was getting ready to leave the house this morning, went to the garage to unplug, and did so as I normally would. Then as I hung the cable back up I realized, wait, I don't have a fob in my pocket. I knew this specifically because I just returned from vacation last night and had put both fobs inside the house in a different place than normal (just in case the teenager left at home for the weekend had any brilliant ideas).

I second guessed myself and thought, maybe I really left one inside the car and only moved one fob, so I pushed on the door handle and it presented. No fob inside. Just for kicks, I tried to put the car in reverse...and it did, and I backed out of the garage!

Well, I thought it must be in the car somewhere, but just to make sure I wasn't locked out or stranded at my first stop, I went back in for the other fob - both of them were in the house!

Any thoughts on how I was able to:
- disconnect the charge cable
- open the car
- put the car in reverse and back out

All without a fob near the car? The only thing I could think of was that there was an update where I missed the notification that now allows the phone/app to work as a key on the S like it does the 3? (I did have my phone in my pocket this whole time)

Any thoughts or similar stories out there?
I've not had my model S for long, but the functionality to use the app as the key has been there for as long as I've had it. Nothing new here.

I have had this happen with my X. FOB was close enough inside the house to be detected by the car and work. This is how the relay attacks work. Thieves replay the FOBs signal to the car even though it's in the house.

After a certain period of inactivity the key fob is suppose to be pressed in order to unlock it. My fob sits less than 15 feet away at all times and I cant open it after sitting all night unless I have the fob in my pocket

It should show a message on the screen as you drive off that says the key is no longer detected. Be on lookout for this message! Try it out just to see what it looks like some day. But if you do drive off without your key by accident some day, you will suddenly love that it can be started with your phone...assuming you remember the password.

I have an opposite situation. From time to time, my Model S won't unlock (present the handles) when I walk up to it with fob in pocket. I have to reach into pocket and press (or double press, I don't remember) the top of the fob.

Is it behind your phone? This will block the signal, but I use that to my advantage because my 3 year old refuses to get in unless he pushes the handle to make it open. I used to stay a long way behind him so the doors wouldn’t open as I approached. Now I just keep the phone between car and the fob to prevent the handles from presenting until he pushes the one in his door.