TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Interior Decor Choice: obeche matte vs gloss

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hungyip84, Jan 18, 2015.

1. hungyip84

hungyip84 Member

Hi all,

I have just paid the deposit for S85. It's MC red with black leather/white alcantara,but I am struggling between obeche gloss vs matte。cf doesn't look appealing to me, and I actually like obeche matte better, but is worrying that the matte surface would get scratched easier. So to the matte owner: how durable is the matte decor?

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

Love my matte, looks very classy.. no fingerprints... if it were to scratch it would be less noticeable than glossy finish

No trouble to date

3. amzng_ev

amzng_ev Member

Go with matte. Looks more modern, and just like scottm said, gloss gets fingerprints on it.

4. romp

romp Member

Another vote for the matte. Somebody else was presented with your dilemma few months ago and I took pictures of our matte to help make the decision: Picture of Obeche matte with black interior. Hope you like it as much as we do.

• Informative x 1
  5. hungyip84

hungyip84 Member

I changed my order to Obeche matte :tongue:

6. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

Good choice. There are times when the sun's reflection is relentless. I'd love to have the matte for this reason alone.

7. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I have the Gloss, and it is lovely but it does get micro scratches from cleaning [off the fingerprints!], and it shows the scratches over time.

8. Danal

Danal electricmotorglider.com

I was one million percent going to order the Obeche matte. Then I visited a store. Ordered the gloss.

If you can possibly make it to a store, go have a look.

9. Footbag

Footbag Member

One note about the matte, I tried a suction cup mount for a phone, and placed it on the wood. It seemed to stick very well, but over a bit of time, it weakened to the point of falling off. I'm guessing the non-uniform surface allows air to creep in, thus weakening the suction. I still like it, would just like it more if it held my phone! (with the alcantara on the dash, it limits mounting options further).

10. roblab

roblab Active Member

You can wax the gloss and the scratches disappear.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yup. Matte. Love it.

12. richrootes

richrootes Member

We have the Gloss - for some reason, the Matte always looks like it's dusty to us. The screen cloth removes any accidental finger touches, plus it does look very nice with the alcantara.

All a matter of personal taste of course!

13. REBroker

REBroker Member

I went with Matte, I drove a test car with Gloss and the reflections from the sun were killing me, with the Pano and in Florida it didn't seem as good a combo. Plus with the sun on it, you can see any dirt and dust even when clean! I also agree that matte seems more modern FWIW.

14. Mel911

Mel911 Member

After going to the store to compare the matte and gloss with grey interior, I changed my order from matte to gloss. But, I think matte looks great with black and if you're leaning toward matte - do Matte! I believe that both are durable.

15. DrJ

DrJ Member

I have the Multi coat Red with the gloss and I think it looks better than the matte.

16. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

Who is touching their trim? Lol, I've never had a reason to get fingerprints on the trim, much less scratched it. I've also never been blinded by reflection of my glossy obeche. The matte is also beautiful and I struggled with this same decision. I don't regret going with gloss, but have a feeling I wouldn't have regretted going with matte, either. I think you'll be happy with your matte.

17. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Nobody in their right mind would touch their trim. But their kids certainly will, trust me!

18. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

Ah, THOSE things. Yeah, reason #413 why I didn't have any!

19. JPP

JPP Active Member

I have the gloss with my multi-coat red...note that is the original vertical grain pattern. I would get it again in a heartbeat.

20. liuping

liuping Active Member

I have the old vertical style matte, but really I could easily get used to (and be happy with) with gloss or horizonal style.

The only thing I personally would not get is piano black. I just don't like it as much as the warmth of the wood.