Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Door Handles Peeling.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So, my wife drove my car and noticed something I did not. The inside of the interior door handles is peeling.

It's a black thin plastic like material over the black material on the handle. this is the part attached to the door that doesn't move.

Warranty?

Why did they have to reinvent every god.... da... piece?! What was wrong with any generic door-handle plastic?!

It's dark and raining, but I'll try to get pics...

i-GDfr5vH-X2.jpg

i-dsX8BpB-X2.jpg

I couldn't figure out what black material was part of a handle that you were referring to until you guys posted the photos. Now I get it. Do you guys use the area for anything? Our car is only a few months old and I just recently figured out that area is a decent place to put my credit card or dollar bills for when I'm waiting to pay at Starbucks in the morning. In fact I just took a photo of it the other day intending to mention I found this nice little cubby hole for things like that.

IMG_2937.JPG

That's the last place I would expect to see peeling given it not really in the sun. Reminds me of my really old Avalon side view mirror who's coating on the paint is separating and peeling away.

Last edited:
Do you guys use the area for anything?

Neither my wife nor I put anything in there. For stuff like small bills and coins we use the drivers front seat pocket (located in the front of the seat just under your knees, behind your shin). I don't think this leather seat pocket exists anymore in new cars, but that's were put small bills, blink charge card, etc.

It's kind of like a thin plasti-dip coating.

I'll take it in, when something else inevitably fails...
I don't know what you keep in your door-handles, but with 0.001 cu ft of space, I store all my nuclear waste.

I don't wear any rings, and the door handles on my 12 year old, 180,000 mile car aren't peeling. Mazda FTW.

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
So was in the drive-thru at Starbucks this morning and took the moment to feel the inside of that upper recess area. I'm not sure our 2017 MS has the same material there as yours above. I tapped it and it's all black hard plastic from everything I could tell. Shokunin what year is your 85, not indicated in your signature? Wondering if there was a material change after a few years of production. And no, the little pocket at front base of driver's seat isn't there on our car.

BTW we don't wear rings either and our aluminum handles after 5 months aren't showing any scratches or dents. I have seen a number of people comment in another thread on how soft the handles are and were showing wear after owning their cars just a few months and wondering if they could Xpel them to prevent marring. Definitely think it's people's rings hitting the surface, at least in most cases.

Last edited:
Shokunin what year is your 85, not indicated in your signature? Wondering if there was a material change after a few years of production. And no, the little pocket at front base of driver's seat isn't there on our car.

Both of our cars are "classic" versions, the P85 is vintage 2012 and the Unicorn 40kw is 2013. Both are in the ESA extended warranty period.

Sabr, I was thinking the same thing, our beater 2005 Honda Odyssey's interior is still pristine, despite no aftermarket window tint and being neglected in sun all day long.