TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Intermittent Key Not Found Error

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by efusco, Jun 9, 2016.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

My wife has had several incidences of getting in her now 3 1/2 week old Model X (maybe 6 incidences) where she clearly had the key and the car opened as usual for her, but when she attempted to start the car she got a key not found error message on the dash display and the car would not start. She was able to start each time using the app. Most of the time the car works as expected.

I had this occur yesterday in my Model S, but it self cleared after a few seconds and I did not have to resort to using the app.

A few thoughts... is this a one off issue and we need a new antenna or something?
    Has it happened for anyone else--the sales person in KC that I'm speaking with says it's not a known/widespread issue, but our DS admitted that it had occurred to him once a week or so ago in a different vehicle.

The only other thought I had was to wonder if the fact that we have 2 different Tesla Fobs on our key chains at the same time is if there could be some interference from that...maybe the car is picking up the Model S fob and not recognizing it instead of finding the Model x fob? I don't know enough about how the fobs work with the car to know if that is plausible.

The sales guy is coming on Monday to orient my wife to the vehicle and "is going to see what he can find", but I'm not optimistic that he is going to be capable of troubleshooting a nuanced intermittent issue like this. We'll probably end up with a Ranger visit in the near future, not in a rush as it's not that troubling.

2. ModelX

ModelX Member

This has happened on my X a couple times. It is very annoying. I usually get out of the car with the key and then get back in and it works. I also make sure that the key is not behind or with my cell phone.

• Like x 1
  3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

@efusco: Is your Model X up on the latest software release? The problem you describe afflicted a lot of us about 4-6 weeks ago and was fixed by an OTH software update. I haven't had that problem since.

4. Scrith

Scrith Member

I thought it was fixed, but got it again yesterday. The car started and let me drive, but the message stayed up for about 45 seconds.

• Helpful x 1
  5. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

I experienced this just today, on the latest release.

• Like x 1
  6. efusco

I'd neglected to follow up. Since posting this we have had no recurrences. i spoke with one of the service guys in KC and he said they sometimes have an issue with two fobs touching base to base causing this problem. It is possible that the two Tesla keys my wife carries were touching at the base when this occurred, but we can't be sure unless/until it happens again.

7. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

On latest release. happens about 75% of the time in our X.

8. efusco

Wow, that's a serious issue. Have you scheduled service yet?

9. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Happens to me daily though it still lets me drive

10. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Not to beat the obvious but are you all sure your batteries are fresh?

11. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

I was told today by a Service Center representative that here is new software for the fobs and that they would flash mine when the car goes in next week. He also mentioned a fix for the Bluetooth battery drain is in it.

12. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Good point. I noticed on my invoice that they not only put in new batteries but new sw too. I thought it was for the car but now see it was for the fobs. My problem went away after this.

So make sure you take both of your fobs with you when you go.

13. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I haven't taken it to the SC for this. It's just an annoyance, as I can still drive with no issues.

Seeing these other posts, I'll take it in to the SC to see if they do something to the fobs. But also, I just got a new firmware notice. Anyone else get it?

14. Jeff Andrews

Jeff Andrews Member

San Luis Obispo, California, United States
    Happened to my wife this morning. Car and fob delivered 2 days ago.

15. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Funny that the Tesla does OTA updates for their vehicles, but not their fobs.