Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory M3 now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding Inventory cars being rejected cars, I would just point out that about 90% of those I have seen in recent days are black cars. People would not just be rejecting black cars. Much more likely is that these were built and shipped when black was the free colour, probably without a specific linked order, and demand for black has since collapsed.
That said, the Inventory cars may include any rejects, hopefully after attempts have been made to remedy the defect that led to rejection.
I would also point out that people may have to cancel their orders for good reasons not related to rejection. Those matched cars will go to Inventory too.

Regarding Inventory cars being rejected cars, I would just point out that about 90% of those I have seen in recent days are black cars. People would not just be rejecting black cars. Much more likely is that these were built and shipped when black was the free colour, probably without a specific linked order, and demand for black has since collapsed.
That said, the Inventory cars may include any rejects, hopefully after attempts have been made to remedy the defect that led to rejection.
I would also point out that people may have to cancel their orders for good reasons not related to rejection. Those matched cars will go to Inventory too.
Agree with everything said above.
I think there may be a few experiencing buyer’s remorse and changing their mind after ordering. Or the finances falling through at the last minute.

I can’t imagine someone outright rejecting a car once they get to the SC for pickup unless there was something drastically wrong with the car (which Tesla would then sort anyway), or if it was the wrong spec (interior the wrong colour, or lack of the infamous tow hitch! Etc.) which would then result in the car being either reassigned or put into inventory.

Either way i checked my VIN on a checker and all seems in order (with the exception of one site which listed it as a Toyota Corolla :D:D:D)

• Funny
Reactions: vitesse and Rob R
Agree with everything said above.
I think there may be a few experiencing buyer’s remorse and changing their mind after ordering. Or the finances falling through at the last minute.

I can’t imagine someone outright rejecting a car once they get to the SC for pickup unless there was something drastically wrong with the car (which Tesla would then sort anyway), or if it was the wrong spec (interior the wrong colour, or lack of the infamous tow hitch! Etc.) which would then result in the car being either reassigned or put into inventory.

Either way i checked my VIN on a checker and all seems in order (with the exception of one site which listed it as a Toyota Corolla :D:D:D)
When my VIN first appeared in the source code, one VIN checker suggested Toyota Corolla, others non-specific Tesla. Number did not change and a few weeks later I collected the car, the exact Model 3 I had ordered.

Reactions: TM3PTN
A word of caution...placing your order for an inventory car, and having it accepted, doesn’t mean you’ve got one!!!

I ordered from the Tesla web site (following Jon’s link - sorry Jon, not sure what all this means for your referral credit!), placed my deposit, saw the car disappear from the website, received my order agreement with VIN number, sat back and waited for the delivery call...and waited..and waited.

I posted this experience on another thread, and the advice was to be patient, with other views such as the delay could be because they were prepping a previously rejected car. That didn’t worry me too much. What did concern me was something strange that just popped up on my account - a credit note.

I won’t document the frustration and effort required to get through to Tesla to clarify things as that’s been covered many, many times before.

It now transpires that the car I bought has been sold to someone else!!!

At this time, they can’t tell me anything about when I might receive a car, whether any in my spec are on their way, whether I will ever receive a car!

I feel some empathy with the CS staff. The Tesla processes are clearly f....ed, and the staff seem completely overwhelmed. It is amusing though when they tried to claim that they are still a start up company. I am going to continue to push for an explanation of how this happened.

It really is a good job they’ve got a great product, but they’d better sort the rest of their mess out pretty quickly if they’re going to survive.

Back to waiting for an update!

• Informative
Reactions: vitesse and TM3PTN
I posted this experience on another thread, and the advice was to be patient, with other views such as the delay could be because they were prepping a previously rejected car. That didn’t worry me too much. What did concern me was something strange that just popped up on my account - a credit note.
I’m sure it was covered in the other thread that you posted in but if not then everyone gets a credit note. It is just used to show that your account is in credit for the amount you have deposited

A word of caution...placing your order for an inventory car, and having it accepted, doesn’t mean you’ve got one!!!

I ordered from the Tesla web site (following Jon’s link - sorry Jon, not sure what all this means for your referral credit!), placed my deposit, saw the car disappear from the website, received my order agreement with VIN number, sat back and waited for the delivery call...and waited..and waited.

I won’t document the frustration and effort required to get through to Tesla to clarify things as that’s been covered many, many times before.

It now transpires that the car I bought has been sold to someone else!!!

At this time, they can’t tell me anything about when I might receive a car, whether any in my spec are on their way, whether I will ever receive a car!

I feel some empathy with the CS staff. The Tesla processes are clearly f....ed, and the staff seem completely overwhelmed. It is amusing though when they tried to claim that they are still a start up company. I am going to continue to push for an explanation of how this happened.

It really is a good job they’ve got a great product, but they’d better sort the rest of their mess out pretty quickly if they’re going to survive.

Back to waiting for an update!
That’s worrying. When I spoke to CS on Friday I asked for a rough date of when I’d get the car and they said it’s currently at Heathrow and will be sent to Manchester over the coming days.
I checked my VIN in the source code on Sunday and it was still there. Will check again later.
I’m going to give them a call for an update later today. I’ll hopefully have some progress in the right direction o_O

Update from this morning - VIN still in source code :)
Also - whilst stuck in traffic on my commute home I thought i'd give CS a call thinking I might as well use that time to be on hold listening to the Tesla tunes and the brief pause that gives everybody hope of an answer:D...but is then followed by the automated message telling us to hold due to high demando_O
Anyway, after about 15mins on hold I finally get through to a very friendly and helpful assistant who tells me that my car is still at Heathrow and is due to be in Manchester by Friday :)

Based on the experiences I have read from others on here, I am taking it with a pinch of salt and still remain sceptical, however I do have a glimmer of cautious faith that they will come through and 'deliver' (in both senses of the word).

If they do get the car to Manchester by Friday I still have to wait for the final invoice and for payment to clear before I can actually go and pick the car up so it is likely that it will be a Sunday or Monday pickup.

Fingers firmly crossed !

Reactions: Roy W. and navt
Apparently if you have a car matching the spec then you should be matched shortly to another car but i have matched mine to one of the available cars in case. Pretty quick to answer and the guy was really helpful. Said likely to be first week in November for delivery.

I counted 45 cars in Inventory a short while ago.
Its down to 35 now but I am surprised. The specs are not obscure on a lot of them ( not that that is really a thing with the limited options onTeslas) but are we really saying that there is no one with an order waiting on a white LR or a while LR with towbar? A few weeks ago people were going crazy waiting on towbars since May? Has Tesla completely caught up to their backlog now do we think?