Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory M3 now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found my exact spec. Phoned up the store I ordered from and it'll be mine :D

Shows up as being due 8th November. Which is likely to be on one of the ships coming from US. The person I spoke to said it's likely to be sooner than that and suggested that Tesla may have just added any that have been cancelled to the inventory now so they can be sold before they arrive in the country. Makes sense I suppose rather than having them sat around.

Odd how I wasn't assigned one yet though - maybe that would've happened later?!

Reactions: TM3PTN and Roy W.
Help me understand. If these cars are in Zeebrugge, they've been sitting there since 19/09. There are clearly customers waiting to be matched up so why was this not done sooner and delivered in the quarter?!

I think they were working hard to match cars in September. This is ~45 out of about 3600 which were either undeliverable, misrouted or unaccepted. However, now that the end of quarter rush is gone, there is no incentive to be quite so proactive about matching inventory to customers who are prepared to wait another 5-6 weeks. Particularly when having it in inventory means a _new_ customer is more likely to make a purchase.

If they add FSD to the Blue SR+, it matches my spec, and I'd probably take it if offered. However, I have not yet even taken photos of my current car to sell it, and I can't transfer my insurance NCD for 6 weeks.

These cars being in Zeebrugge still, I guess they have needed to have some rework done (or have been sitting forgotten in an overflow carpark).

Would these inventory cars be available through a lease company do you think?

ie would they have access to them rather than a fresh new build order.
Yes I think so. I think all the orders (leased, finanaced, bought) from any source are all in the same basket together so to speak. It's just about matching cars to orders rather than buying or leasing getting priority over the other. Remember the lease company has no access to anything, they can't match cars to people, it's only Tesla that can do that. All the lease company can do is ring up Tesla for a status.

If you saw a car in inventory and wanted to lease it, chances are by the time the paperwork was all signed it would be gone. Unless you did a direct lease with Tesla.

Hi All, i spoke with a lovely lady today (Linda) - mentioned that I had not heard anything and couldnt get any sense out of my leasing company, but had spotted one in inventory which was exactly the same as the one i had ordered. I gave her the VIN and she was able to allocate me to the car. She also said the majority of the inventory cars were in transit. Worth giving them a call if you see your spec car in inventory.

Reactions: TM3PTN
I think they were working hard to match cars in September. This is ~45 out of about 3600 which were either undeliverable, misrouted or unaccepted. However, now that the end of quarter rush is gone, there is no incentive to be quite so proactive about matching inventory to customers who are prepared to wait another 5-6 weeks. Particularly when having it in inventory means a _new_ customer is more likely to make a purchase.

If they add FSD to the Blue SR+, it matches my spec, and I'd probably take it if offered. However, I have not yet even taken photos of my current car to sell it, and I can't transfer my insurance NCD for 6 weeks.

These cars being in Zeebrugge still, I guess they have needed to have some rework done (or have been sitting forgotten in an overflow carpark).
How do you know it is 3600?

Yesterdays dump of about 50 cars into inventory was interesting for a number of reasons. One of which is to see what sold quickest. I clicked on it a few times through the day and it appeared looked to me like the SR+'s went first very quickly then the performance and then the most basic LR's. All that is left now is Black,LR's with options.
I kind of understand. the black. Being asked to pay for flat black when other metallic colours are nearly the same price and it used to be free would not appeal to me. Also black is terrible to keep clean.
It's also a big price jump from SR+ to LR but not so much from LR to Performance so maybe the LR is the least popular option generally now?. Or maybe I am reading too much into this small sample.

Sounds about right.

The SR+ is always going to be the most popular option, it's the cheapest car and that's what the Model 3 was supposed to be - Tesla's affordable car.

The SR+ in my exact spec was on the inventory for about an hour before it dissapeared. I guess all of those cars are failed delivery/rejected cars. Why they didn't just assign them right away (knowing that loads of people are waiting) rather than put them in inventory I don't know. I mean I get why loads of the LR ones are sitting in inventory, they might not have somoene to assign them to, but kinda suprised a stock SR+ came up in inventory at all.

Sounds about right.

The SR+ is always going to be the most popular option, it's the cheapest car and that's what the Model 3 was supposed to be - Tesla's affordable car.

The SR+ in my exact spec was on the inventory for about an hour before it dissapeared. I guess all of those cars are failed delivery/rejected cars. Why they didn't just assign them right away (knowing that loads of people are waiting) rather than put them in inventory I don't know. I mean I get why loads of the LR ones are sitting in inventory, they might not have somoene to assign them to, but kinda suprised a stock SR+ came up in inventory at all.
It was being suggested above that most are on boats and not even here yet! The VIN's are shown on the inventory page so someone in the know about these things could probably verify if that is likely based on the range they fall into.

It was being suggested above that most are on boats and not even here yet! The VIN's are shown on the inventory page so someone in the know about these things could probably verify if that is likely based on the range they fall into.
They are still at sea and given the delivery estimate of first week of November I was given that would make sense. If they were in the UK already they would be delivered a lot quicker.

Sounds about right.

I tried to nab that one, someone beat me to it while the Tesla agent was trying to apply the VIN to my existing order. These cars as far as I understand are not strictly inventory, I was told that this specific car is on a vessel and would reach the West Drayton on 7th November.

• Informative
Reactions: tsh2
Purely speculation on my part but I'm thinking what's happened is this:

Tesla have manufactured a bunch of cars corresponding to the specs of outstanding orders, stuck them on a ship (most likely Grand Dahlia) and meanwhile people have cancelled or changed their orders (e.g. end-of-quarter push involved Tesla offering P- to people waiting for LRAWD, some may have bought from inventory when there were actually cars available in the UK - again from previously cancelled orders.)

Those cars still get put on the ship even though there's no order outstanding for them. If they just ship them to the UK, someone will inevitably buy them, but by putting them on the inventory page allows someone to place an order for them and if the car is sold en route to the UK it doesn't sit somewhere gathering dust and not earning Tesla any money.

Now, what about VINs for people with outstanding orders? I'm guessing those will be assigned soon, and there are likely cars on the ship that are due to be matched to orders. But that can happen at any point during transit - Tesla gain nothing from rushing to assign VINs, whereas rushing to list cars on the website could gain additional sales. Which is fine IMO, just so long as they don't prioritising inventory stock over orders!

So they've probably reserved the cars that correspond to oustanding orders and VIN numbers could pop up any time soon for them.

Less likely is that they could be making extra cars just for inventory, but there are so many people waiting that it would only make sense to do this if Tesla specifically want to make some extra sales whilst leaving a few more people waiting.

I also have no idea how long it takes between the factory being told what to make and shipping - e.g. up to what point after cancelling an order would the factory be able to avoid making the car?