Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Engineering Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I'm changing my position. Tesla is not prevented from mounting a third brake light (if under 80" wide) on the tailgate due to it being movable. They would still need to meet the other lamp requirements.
This may also extend to the identification lamps.

The assumption underlying the agency's 1980 letter was that a defect could exist if all a vehicle's stop lamps and taillamps were mounted on the decklid, where their signals could be unobserved or obscured if the lid were in any position other than closed. The center high-mount stop lamp, on the other hand, while an item of required equipment, is nevertheless a supplementary stop lamp. Even if the deck, hatch, or tailgate upon which it is mounted should be open, following drivers may still observe the signals of the primary stop lamps remaining on the body.
1985-03.1 | NHTSA

Reactions: unk45
Last edited:
Is Cybertruck exoskeleton is made from SpaceX StarshipUltra-hard 30X Cold-rolled Stainless Steel?

Does this futuristic truck, unlike most vehicles, has an exoskeleton body and will be made out of 90% recycled stainless steel?

Is the Stainless 304, 316 or SpaceX miracle Stainless?

Is the body a crumple zone or an exoskeleton battering ram? What safety scores will it achieve?

How hot will the stainless get in that Texas Heat? my guess is 2 fire emojis hot

cool paper from a physicist, like Elon who as a BA in Physics, which is I guess physics without science. They could use and Engineer in engineering. Sandy and Elon are no more Engineers than and experienced taxidermist is veterinarian. If there was no value in calling yourself and Engineer they would stop using that term for themselves.

People write more clearly when they're NOT intoxicated.

cool paper from a physicist, like Elon who as a BA in Physics, which is I guess physics without science. They could use and Engineer in engineering. Sandy and Elon are no more Engineers than and experienced taxidermist is veterinarian. If there was no value in calling yourself and Engineer they would stop using that term for themselves.

So, you need to brush up on how academia works (I have a Ph.D. and a M.D. - I'm speaking from experience here).

While true that Elon did not complete a TRADITIONAL pathway for physics, his work after his degree was completed was considered so extraordinary that Yale bestowed him in 2015 with an Honorary Doctorate in Engineering and Technology for his achievements. The same year he was awarded Honorary Membership in IEEE. For an Engineer, there are no higher honors or achievements.

Honorary doctorates from Ivy League institutions are not something given out on a whim. Neither is Honorary Membership in the Engineering World's highest society.

His credentials are legit, unquestioned.

I am an Engineer. so I am speaking from experience. I hope you value the hard work you put into earning PHD and MD and it sucks to see someone appropriate the name to indicate competence in a field. How was Elon skills evaluated by the Board, did he pass the FE, hell no. Even being intoxicated, I can see through stupidity. Honorary Doctorates are given out many times for the donations they received. Elon can no more stamp drawings as a professional engineer, then on a Honorary Doctorate can perform surgery legally. It's cute on the wall but he is not an Engineer or Surgeon and neither is Sandy. unquestioned.

I guess I need to update my twitter from @HalfanAstronaut to Astronaut because this forum agrees that I have "been taking up space" and should recognized for my lifelong experience and success. Since Elon has already taken smartest guy in the room designation, maybe Chief Astronaut
or even Primier Cosmonaut

Last edited:
I am an Engineer. so I am speaking from experience. I hope you value the hard work you put into earning PHD and MD and it sucks to see someone appropriate the name to indicate competence in a field. How was Elon skills evaluated by the Board, did he pass the FE, hell no. Even being intoxicated, I can see through stupidity. Honorary Doctorates are given out many times for the donations they received. Elon can no more stamp drawings as a professional engineer, then on a Honorary Doctorate can perform surgery legally. It's cute on the wall but he is not an Engineer or Surgeon and neither is Sandy. unquestioned.

I guess I need to update my twitter from @HalfanAstronaut to Astronaut because this forum agrees that I have "been taking up space" and should recognized for my lifelong experience and success. Since Elon has already taken smartest guy in the room designation, maybe Chief Astronaut

OOO, a post seething with bitterness. And we are supposed to take you seriously?

By your tone and language, we are to take Elon as an idiot? Fraud?

Meryl Streep has 3 Ivy League honorary degrees, Bill Cosby and Bill OReilly had there's yanked. Ben Franklin wanted people to use his fake DR. and he might be as smart as Elon

"Perhaps that's in part why some universities play it safe and don't award honorary degrees in the first place. Cornell University hasn't awarded one since its second commencement ceremony, when President Andrew Dickinson White declared that honorary degrees would diminish the value of real degrees earned by students. Similarly, Stanford University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Virginia, and Rice University avoid this otherwise ubiquitous tradition." bestcolleges.com

a real degree can't be taken away for bad behavior

Meryl Streep has 3 Ivy League honorary degrees, Bill Cosby and Bill OReilly had there's yanked. Ben Franklin wanted people to use his fake DR. and he might be as smart as Elon

"Perhaps that's in part why some universities play it safe and don't award honorary degrees in the first place. Cornell University hasn't awarded one since its second commencement ceremony, when President Andrew Dickinson White declared that honorary degrees would diminish the value of real degrees earned by students. Similarly, Stanford University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Virginia, and Rice University avoid this otherwise ubiquitous tradition." bestcolleges.com

a real degree can't be taken away for bad behavior

I see you didn't answer the questions posed. Pretty much confirms what I was thinking.

BTW, Meryl Streep - honorary Doctor of Fine Arts, honorary Doctor of Arts (x2) (she's an actress - good one by all objective measurements), so I don't see how that is out of line with her qualifications.

Your example doesn't counter the point. Just makes your own biases that much clearer.

OOO, a post seething with bitterness. And we are supposed to take you seriously?

By your tone and language, we are to take Elon as an idiot? Fraud?
a kickstarter husker is what I have come to believe he is. He is not an environmentalist or humanitarian. He is a stock pumping fraud, in my experience. I would love to see some of his calculations or code, but so far I have just seen bravado and marketing by Elon, with a team of compensated online shills.

He did not invent Electric motors, batteries or inverters. I bought the hype early on, but when I saw he believed the glass on the cybertruck could stop a steel ball, or the bot would be dancing in 2 weeks, I knew he was just repeating what he saw on powerpoint. Just a carnival barker not and engineer. Elon is no Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs is no Woz

Oh! A coherent train of thought!

I won't pretend to be qualified to judge you, like how you've judged others, but SpaceX's chief designer of the merlin rocket seems to think Elon's not "unqualified":

I myself have a bachelor of science degree filed away somewhere, but I've met a few who don't have that degree but can do my job just as well. They might not have started with the foundational knowledge, but they've made up for it with direct experience. And that's the thing about college (or any form of "formal education")! It's nothing more than a controlled environment for gaining practical/theoretical knowledge. Knowledge that a dedicated individual could get in the workplace or on their own (if they have the resources).

That "degree" that you hold so dear is nothing more than a notarized document attesting to YOUR expertise. Lacking it doesn't mean squat about a person's expertise.

Now, for you to denigrate Sandy Munro as "not an engineer", shows a complete lack of objectivity that calls into question your engineering qualifications!