Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Engineering Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah...
I think he's conflating monocoque.
Cybertruck was never going to have stressed side skin in the middle. So the 'delayed' line of thought makes no sense.

SmartSelect_20230716_101342_Firefox.jpg

Here's the exoskeleton:
F0_7wGwaAAIMbZb.jpg

Structure on the outside, including rear load path.

Yeah...
I think he's conflating monocoque.
Cybertruck was never going to have stressed side skin in the middle. So the 'delayed' line of thought makes no sense.

View attachment 957346

Here's the exoskeleton:
View attachment 957347
Structure on the outside, including rear load path.
It's a unibody frame plain and simple. They are simple A, B and C pillars, just like every other pickup truck on this earth has - with the exception of a unibody structure as opposed to the typical body on frame design. Here's a picture of an F150 aluminum body that sits on top of the ladder frame for example. Same A, B and C pillars:

1689691903160.png

Here's a unibody frame picture from a Honda RIdgeline:

1689692067419.png

Attachments

• 1689691799191.png
    1689691799191.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 27
It's a unibody frame plain and simple. They are simple A, B and C pillars, just like every other pickup truck on this earth has - with the exception of a unibody structure as opposed to the typical body on frame design. Here's a picture of an F150 aluminum body that sits on top of the ladder frame for example. Same A, B and C pillars:

View attachment 957350

Here's a unibody frame picture from a Honda RIdgeline:

View attachment 957351

Ridgeline is a body welded to a frame...

141941026.jpg

Honda Ridgeline’s Frame: The Untold Story

Here's the exoskeleton:
But how is that functionally different than a unibody? And is it actually an exoskeleton?
What Is a Monocoque Chassis? Pardon our French, but that means "single shell" or possibly "single hull" if talking about boats, which we're not. In monocoque structures, as with exoskeletal insects, the skin is structural, bearing tension and compression loads. It was a popular way to build airplanes in the early days, but most of today's aircraft augment their structural skins with some sort of internal framework, making them semi-monocoques. Few commercial road vehicles have ever used a true monocoque structure, but the racing world has embraced the form.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
But how is that functionally different than a unibody? And is it actually an exoskeleton?

Yeah, I'd read those sites too.

It's different than every other truck that has a ladder frame.
"This is the fundamental design change where we move the mass to the outside. We created an exoskeleton. So normally, the way that a truck is designed you have a body on frame. You have a bed on frame. And the body and the bed don't do anything useful. They're carried like cargo like a sack of potatoes."

All of the Cybertruck's material (other than firewall and rear wall) is pushed to the outside. Similar to a unibody, but it's different in that the outer layer is durable.

"It allows you to do things that you can't do with a body on frame. So we're able to make the skin out of thick ultra hard stainless steel. "

The exoskeleton enables the stainless skin. A shell on the exoskeleton (hermit crab). Or, if you prefer, the exoskeleton is three layers thick.

Reactions: Buckminster
But not much different than a unibody. Is there any reason a thicker skin couldn't also be attached to any conventional unibody?
I agree that unibody and exoskeleton have overlap.

The issue with using the 3mm stainless over a conventional body is that, large planar surfaces (especially creased ones) don't like to flex. Unless the substructure is equally rigid, the body deflects relative to the skin. That results in: shearing off of attachment points, flexure (oil can or creasing) of the skin, or that the skin is the load member.
Of course, the attachment points could be compliant like truck body to frame mounts, but that is bad from a dimensional control and/ or fatigue point of view.

I agree that unibody and exoskeleton have overlap.

The issue with using the 3mm stainless over a conventional body is that, large planar surfaces (especially creased ones) don't like to flex. Unless the substructure is equally rigid, the body deflects relative to the skin. That results in: shearing off of attachment points, flexure (oil can or creasing) of the skin, or that the skin is the load member.
Of course, the attachment points could be compliant like truck body to frame mounts, but that is bad from a dimensional control and/ or fatigue point of view.
So the "exoskeleton" is too stiff...

Drew’s comment on earnings call: Ready to start production of CYBERTRUCK cells, with 10% greater energy density than existing 4680. This meets their energy requirements for the cybertruck, anodes with silicon, and in-house cathode, will be coming another day.

GSp
That's not encouraging to me. A 10% energy density increase over the 1st gen 4680 packs at 244kwh/kg means it'll rise up to ~270wh/kg - roughly equivalent to the current 2170 packs. Even assuming a larger structural battery pack for the CT, I don't see a path toward a 500 mile range unless Tesla basically does the same thing as GM/RAM and goes with a 200+kw pack size. That would really increase the weight of the CT though. Anything is possible, but I've seen quite a few recent rumors that the initial CT launch is only going to include a 350 mile range dual motor CT - with the tri-motor model coming at a later time, perhaps 2025/2026 when the battery pack innovations promised at battery day actually come to fruition. Just my two cents of course.

That's not encouraging to me. A 10% energy density increase over the 1st gen 4680 packs at 244kwh/kg means it'll rise up to ~270wh/kg - roughly equivalent to the current 2170 packs. Even assuming a larger structural battery pack for the CT, I don't see a path toward a 500 mile range unless Tesla basically does the same thing as GM/RAM and goes with a 200+kw pack size. That would really increase the weight of the CT though. Anything is possible, but I've seen quite a few recent rumors that the initial CT launch is only going to include a 350 mile range dual motor CT - with the tri-motor model coming at a later time, perhaps 2025/2026 when the battery pack innovations promised at battery day actually come to fruition. Just my two cents of course.

Disagree. Tesla clearly stated on the call that 10% was without other things known to increase energy density by a significant margin, like silicon anode doping, etc.

Optimization-wise, they are still VERY VERY EARLY in the curve on the 4680s. This is expected because DBE is such a massive change (bigger than anything else done AT SCALE in the battery world in 20 years) that you don't just add all these additional enhancement items from the get go. You work with basic chemistry design to perfect the process, then you add things in, one variable at a time.

I haven't put my chemistry degree to use in 20+ years, but this one I am very confident in that they are taking the correct approach.