Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ionity with ChargePoint, no longer per-session charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now 58p/kWh. Still quite a bit cheaper than the standard 69p/kWh, but makes Maingau the cheapest now.

Plugshare not letting me update the description with these new prices, do they have a per-day edit limit? Or proximity requirement?

A68458E4-3E8B-412D-92B4-8A8894F23F4F.jpeg

Reactions: CMc1
15 p/mile, in round numbers, except it will be more, due to AC/DC/charging losses.

Much more expensive than the 2.2 L Diesel Mazda 6 that I had before. That averaged 12 p/mile.

I know there are infrastructure costs, but how can they push EVs as an economical approach, or at least comparable to ICE, at these prices?

Reactions: gangzoom
Sadly EVs are going to create a problem where those without a drive I.e the poorest in many cases will end up paying more for their fuel than those who can afford a private drive. And we could all be screwed over on rapid charging. Having said that Screw ionity. I am never paying their prices even on a road trip unless I am down to my last 1%.

15 p/mile, in round numbers, except it will be more, due to AC/DC/charging losses.

Much more expensive than the 2.2 L Diesel Mazda 6 that I had before. That averaged 12 p/mile.

I know there are infrastructure costs, but how can they push EVs as an economical approach, or at least comparable to ICE, at these prices?

Crazy isn't it, spend £30k+ on an EV and end up paying more for fuel + waste time waiting for it to fuel up.

Isn't Ionity funded by VAG?

The showroom chat must be fantastic, here we have a brand new Audi EV, its £70k and to make life easier we give you discount on EV charging, or here is a diesel version of the same car £40k after discounts and costs less to refuel, which one do you want sir/madem?

Crazy isn't it, spend £30k+ on an EV and end up paying more for fuel + waste time waiting for it to fuel up.

Isn't Ionity funded by VAG?

The showroom chat must be fantastic, here we have a brand new Audi EV, its £70k and to make life easier we give you discount on EV charging, or here is a diesel version of the same car £40k after discounts and costs less to refuel, which one do you want sir/madem?
That's the point though VAG customers will not pay that rate so it becomes a selling point vs other EVs. They are effectively building their own Supercharger network. You could never get away with starting a new proprietory network now so instead you price the Teslas off of it. Since it is officially a public network approvals will be easier. In the future I can see tesla struggling to get approval for installations on their one make chargers where space or resource is limited.

Ionity are making a point that their chargers are available to anyone (even at an outrageous price). No doubt if and when the Ionity consortium's vehicles appear on the market they will come with an Ionity package of some description.
Their owners (look them up) have been lobbying the EU that having private charging networks is stifling acceptance of electric vehicles amongst the population. They want a law introduced that will ban private charging networks and so make the EU a greener and better place!
This is squarely aimed at Tesla and the significant advantage they have with their reliable and widespread supercharger network.
It's a shameful, cynical and devious strategy that sadly might just succeed...

• Informative
Ionity are making a point that their chargers are available to anyone (even at an outrageous price). No doubt if and when the Ionity consortium's vehicles appear on the market they will come with an Ionity package of some description.
Their owners (look them up) have been lobbying the EU that having private charging networks is stifling acceptance of electric vehicles amongst the population. They want a law introduced that will ban private charging networks and so make the EU a greener and better place!
This is squarely aimed at Tesla and the significant advantage they have with their reliable and widespread supercharger network.
It's a shameful, cynical and devious strategy that sadly might just succeed...
Presumably Tesla could play the same game if they had to open up the network. £10 per kw for non Tesla vehicles anyone?

Presumably Tesla could play the same game if they had to open up the network. £10 per kw for non Tesla vehicles anyone?
The problem is superchargers are designed for Teslas, the cables won't reach a lot of other cars (at least not parking correctly in the bay), there is no way in it's current form to pay for the superchargers without a tesla to. It would cost quite a bit of tesla to change that, at least replacing all the cables.

the
The problem is superchargers are designed for Teslas, the cables won't reach a lot of other cars (at least not parking correctly in the bay), there is no way in it's current form to pay for the superchargers without a tesla to. It would cost quite a bit of tesla to change that, at least replacing all the cables.
I get that they would have to add billing but that could all be done via software / an app I assume at least on existing chargers. The new rules on contactless only apply to new installations I think. And as for the cable length. I don't think there are any rules on that. if it won't reach your car then that just kinda sucks for you I guess? :)

the
I get that they would have to add billing but that could all be done via software / an app I assume at least on existing chargers. The new rules on contactless only apply to new installations I think. And as for the cable length. I don't think there are any rules on that. if it won't reach your car then that just kinda sucks for you I guess? :)
Yea I would assume they could do an app so that shouldn't be an issue. You would have thought the charge points need to be usable though, which for the majority wouldn't and if they end up parking across bays it will also interrupt other teslas charging to.

Just been sorting out a Maingau account with app and card. INteresting that as of this morning none of the Ionity chargers seem to show on the app. Only Engenie chargers seem to show no matter what filters I set. Presume this means that the agreement between Ionity and Maingau has stopped?