Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS SiriKit intents work!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn’t find a previous post about this:

Looks like the SiriKit intents for lock/unlock, battery level, visual and audible indicators were added to the Tesla iOS app at some point. None of the release notes mention it.

Details if interested
Car Commands | Apple Developer Documentation

7224281F-9EB6-4D52-82D4-3DB772A8DD14.png 9416D60F-7974-4489-BA79-F50D1169EC27.png 90E07175-EE98-4F74-A014-95A62A1666AD.png

I noticed when I picked up the 3.2.1 app update that it contained Siri support (way down at the bottom on the App Store entry)...I was wondering if that was new or what. Maybe that's one of the improvement, as in "contains minor fixes and improvements". This seems like more of a cute parlor trick than anything useful, but yeah it's cool that I unlock my car by talking to my phone.

Bruce.

The problem is, anytime someone on TV or radio says the magic words, as they always seem to do with Alexa , your car responds. I suspect the first time it happens the Siri hook gets disabled, at least for me. :)

I got tired of hearing random Alexa examples on CNBC triggering the device that I turned it off. Will change the wake word I guess, and voice training will probably help.

The problem is, anytime someone on TV or radio says the magic words, as they always seem to do with Alexa , your car responds. I suspect the first time it happens the Siri hook gets disabled, at least for me. :)

I got tired of hearing random Alexa examples on CNBC triggering the device that I turned it off. Will change the wake word I guess, and voice training will probably help.

Siri doesn’t work that way. It needs to be trained for your voice saying “Hey Siri” (or you need to tell it to listen by holding the iphones home button).

Bruce.

unless your phone is sitting around unlocked all the time without you looking at it, there's no risk of someone else saying something and making it act upon your car.

If someone does fool Siri into recognizing the voice, it just prompts for Touch ID / Passcode.

This might become a problem with Siri when HomePod comes out, but for now this problem is mostly constrained to "Always Ready" assistants like Alexa/Google Home.

Siri doesn’t work that way. It needs to be trained for your voice saying “Hey Siri” (or you need to tell it to listen by holding the iphones home button).

Bruce.

True, but, it’s not sophisticated, or lat least wasn’t when I tried it over a year ago. I had my wife defeat it by trying to match my voice tone wise, and it worked. IOS must have gotten better as we just tried it again and it failed. Good news. :)

unless your phone is sitting around unlocked all the time without you looking at it, there's no risk of someone else saying something and making it act upon your car.

If someone does fool Siri into recognizing the voice, it just prompts for Touch ID / Passcode.

Ah yeah, guess I overlooked that point. Thanks for the reminder! :)

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
True, but, it’s not sophisticated, or lat least wasn’t when I tried it over a year ago. I had my wife defeat it by trying to match my voice tone wise, and it worked. IOS must have gotten better as we just tried it again and it failed. Good news. :)

That's an interesting finding...to be honest I never tried faking it out. I'm sure that specific experiment would not have worked for us because my wife and I have very different accents. :D

Bruce.

The API does have a method for handling multiple cars and resolving the car name. Try using the names you’ve assigned to them.
With names like “Alex’s Model S” and “Wendy’s Model X”, phrasing things correctly and not confusing it with contact names makes getting the right command sequence hard. Also, it seem you need the word “car” in the Siri command and whatever I try results in a suggestion for a web search.