Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 5 charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While extra ones are $19, every idevice comes with one free that lasts forever. You don't need to buy something that never breaks. One of the many reasons I stay with apple products. Why buy junk?

Normally you're correct. However, i've found it only takes one cat bite to trash the cable :) Usually they go for the headset cable.

...I've decided that I much prefer $19 Apple cables that never break...

I have seen plenty of iPhone 3/4 cables wear out...
The MySaver Keeps Your iPhone Cable From Breaking For The 100th Time | TechCrunch
Similar to this:
junk.png

I guess Apple has announced now that the iPhone5 will use a new dock connector.

Roadster had the option to come with an iPhone 3 / 4 type cable for charging and such.
I wonder if Tesla will offer iPhone 5 cables with Model S, or even as a Roadster retrofit ?

I'm good to go (if I upgrade to an iPhone 5). I opted for a USB port in the Roadster instead of an iPhone connector - and then use a iPhone to USB cable to connect the phone.

what kind of port hooks into the Alpine unit? Is it just USB and maybe we can insert the new iphone5 cable?
If not. Can we order the usb cable from Alpine or Tesla?
My Roadster 2.5 has an iPhone cable, into which I plug my iPod Nano. I think there's also a USB plug that accepts a thumb drive, but I don't know if that's music only or accepts a phone. I don't know what's behind the iPhone cable, if it's just an adapter to a USB plug or what.

I don't have a smart phone. I have a stupid phone. If it rings while I'm driving I let it go to voice mail, and check it when I'm safely stopped. Even hands-free phone talking is a distraction. I don't even look at my passenger when I'm driving, and it scares and annoys me when I'm riding in a car and the driver is looking at me while talking, rather than watching the road. Drivers: keep your eyes on the road, damnitall! You already know what I look like. You don't have to look at me to talk to me!!! There'd be fewer traffic deaths if drivers would watch the road instead of staring at their passengers.

The Roadster (2.5 for definite) has a usb on the other end of that iPhone dock. Here's how to change it:

It's not difficult to change that iPhone cable. Behind the rubber "pad" there's one screw, remove that and then you can lift off the upper center console piece; tip it to one side so it comes unclipped and it will come out. That iPhone cable just has a USB on the other end (at least on the 2.5 Roadster it does). You can swap it out for the phone adapter of your choice.

(A Ranger told me how to do that so I could swap it out for one that just push-fixes to the phone and you don't need to fiddle with the side-buttons lock.)

FYI - If Tesla designed the Model S to accept the analog feed from the 30 pin connector to display album artwork that will no longer work with the iPhone 5. That is a big IF so YMMV. I don't plan on getting the 5 since my 4S is going just fine and I know it works with everything that I own.

As far as I can tell, all communication with the iphone is via Bluetooth. And it works great. The cord is just for power unless I'm missing something. Therefore I don't think there's any issue here. Just plug your iphone 5 cable into one of the USB ports and pair up on bluetooth and you're good to go.

I previously always thought I needed an audio cable or hardwire connection for optimal sound. But I have been totally happy with the bluetooth audio on the S from my iphone.