Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Integration, or lack thereof....messaging notification bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So have the 90D X for 5 days and notice that Bluetooth connects just fine to my iphone 6. I keep the phone dongled to charge cable out of routine. So a new message (blue imessage or green/other) comes in and I feel the phone vibrate, but no noise through car stereo for notification. Short of disconnecting the phone from car by Bluetooth, is there a work around so that car stereo allows/pushes the sound out when new messages arrive on phone? First world problem, I know, but I've read about poor integration of phones to the car. Is this another of the poor integration issues?

No. Listening to radio. The phone is available for calls, but messages come in only on phone as vibration, nothing out of car stereo. I have not used blue tooth for mp3 plays yet, as I have a 128 GB USB stick for FLAC files....I do wonder if playing Bluetooth music from iphone would drive message alert through car stereo but have not tried that yet. I want to know if blue tooth connection is preventing sound from phone if not actively playing music from phone to car stereo.

I don't know of any way to be notified of incoming text/iMessages except as suggested above.

It should be possible (from a software perspective) if the vehicle were to subscribe to the appropriate Bluetooth notifications. I'd be happy with just an icon appearing on the instrument dash or center screen indicating the message status.

Known' feature'--if you are not listening to iPhone audio (like music), then you won't get auto pings/alerts through the car audio. My solution is that I have an Apple Watch. Alerts ping the watch and also tap my wrist. YMMV.

I believe you can fix this every time you go into the car like this:

1 swipe up to open Control Center
2. Next to the Airdrop area you will see another area with your car Bluetooth. Click on it to change to AirPlay.

Basically it is telling the car to not send audio to the car. Works for me as I never play music through my phone.

You have to do this every time your phone connects though.

I've submitted this bug to Tesla a few times already -- I suggested that when listening to any source other than Bluetooth audio, disconnect the Audio Bluetooth profile/connection (the phone connection is always connected). If a user then selects the BT device for audio, the car will immediately connect. While this might cause a short delay during the BT connection process, to me that's a fair tradeoff for allowing the alert sounds come through the phone when it's not being used for BT audio.

This isn't a terribly difficult thing to incorporate. My 2015 charger has it...my wife's previous car (2013 grand cherokee) also had it.

basically, if you are bluetooth connected, you are alerted to text messages. The system will read them to you if you want. Now...that being said..i found the notifications to be quite annoying. They'd interrupt any and all music with "Text Message from So-and-so". It became rather disruptive after a while.

I would like Tesla to incorporate this into their system, but do it the Tesla way....smarter. Perhaps allow it as an option. Like someone mentioned previously, maybe just a notification on the screen...or if you want, have it audibly tell you every time that you've received another text. This is safer than having a driver look down at his/her phone every time they receive a text.

This does not appear to be a Tesla Motors issue so much as a TM + Apple issue. My Motorola Droid works as I would expect - I pay 'Streaming' (Slacker?) and text alerts are heard over the audio system just fine. My wife's iPhone 7 on the other hand behaves as described above. So, I am not convinced it's all on TM. Especially as with the car playing Streaming, you can ask Siri something, it mutes the audio and responds, then the music resumes. So I'd say there's an issue in the way the iPhone 7 pushes out notifications.