Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Qi Wireless Charging Options For Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the announcement of wireless induction charging for iPhone using the Qi platform, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a solution for the Model X. I am surprised there are no threads yet -- or that I could find anyway.

I see some other posts for Qi solutions for other wireless phone brands and wasn't sure if that will work for the iPhone as well.

Any ideas? Anyone thinking about this yet?

Maybe the one used at apple press event for now. Should fit and lay into current MX phone space.
(and face up)

Attachments

• mophie.jpg
    mophie.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 426
I see some other posts for Qi solutions for other wireless phone brands and wasn't sure if that will work for the iPhone as well.
The new iPhone 8 and X use the Qi standard like Samsung and LG and others do, so whatever works for one will work for the other as far as I know. The information in the existing threads should be of use to you.

It looks sketchy to me...if your phone isn't sitting in the exact position for the wireless connection, it doesn't work. It looks like the only reliable way to make it work would be the mod in the video.

Its a pretty cool mod, but seems like a lot of work to only end up placing your phone in the exact same slot it had for the wired connection. Sure would make life easier to come up with a wired charging standard rather than re-inventing wireless charging that will in effect, due to size and form factor of phones, end up being proprietary as well!

I never understand the point of this in a car, sorry. You slide the phone in the dock, it connects the lightning plug, and you are charging at full speed, usually more than the Qi charger. If you have a dock with guiderails (as Tesla does, or I will have with Proclip to have the phone nearer the steering wheel), what is the advantage of Qi charging?

The *only* thing I can see is that it might work through a case where sometimes cases are hard to fit to the dock base (where the lightning plug is), but some cases are too thick for the Qi pad also.

I understand the general advantage of pad charging at home or office, but in a car where you want the phone secured? I must be missing something. :D