Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone XS (Max) as a key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phone as a key requires me to wake the car up from the phone before using it, at least for me. If I’m at work for 8 hours or about to head to work after a night of charging, it asks me to use the keycard. If I wake the vehicle up from the app prior, it works fine.

Is this working as intended? I guess I never assumed I needed to first launch the app on the way to the vehicle.

Background Refresh is set to on and Location Services is set to always. Have an iPhone Xs Max.

The phone as a key requires me to wake the car up from the phone before using it, at least for me. If I’m at work for 8 hours or about to head to work after a night of charging, it asks me to use the keycard. If I wake the vehicle up from the app prior, it works fine.

Is this working as intended? I guess I never assumed I needed to first launch the app on the way to the vehicle.

Background Refresh is set to on and Location Services is set to always. Have an iPhone Xs Max.
No that’s not working as intended. If I selected my Model 3 (instead of my X) in the app then it works all the time, namely opening the door unlocks the car and I can put the car in D immediately. It doesn’t matter I was charging the car prior. The only time I have an issue like yours is when I have my X selected in the app. Also have a XS max here.

No that’s not working as intended. If I selected my Model 3 (instead of my X) in the app then it works all the time, namely opening the door unlocks the car and I can put the car in D immediately. It doesn’t matter I was charging the car prior. The only time I have an issue like yours is when I have my X selected in the app. Also have a XS max here.

Grrr. So frustrating. Not sure what to do to fix it other than what I’m doing or reinstalling the app.

I had an iphone X and didn't have an issue until I switched to the iphone XS max and started having issues ( not opening until I bring out my phone closer to the car) I deleted stored ipnone X key from the history and repaired my iphone XS max and so far it had gotten better. hope that helps.

So I got a XS max 7 days ago and had no problems. I kept my 7 Plus as it will go to a suffering Android using family member but for now it's a secondary key for my car. I have had zero problems.

Since the car and app like to always talk together I normally do not use low power mode but on the XS max I've been putting it in low power mode over night and charging it at work in the morning on a wireless desk charger. I noticed when I use low power mode my car is very reluctant to wake up remotely. When I keep the phone out of low power mode it's not a problem.