Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irritated after 4 days of SR ownership.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say I'll never understand why this is so common with people. It's one thing to advocate to get something special for yourself, but to want to someone else to be damaged is just weird. Focusing on that sort of thing will just result in being miserable.

It is human. The first crime was Cain killing Able out of jealousy. Cain was pissed off that his VIN was off by one to get the Alcantara headliner AND cushy seats. On top of that - Able's Model 3 had 100% full orange glass coverage.

People MIGHT be happy for their friends/family. Outside of that circle - no way. No one wants someone else to have a faster, better, cooler car, and for less money.

There's an entire song that talks about this:

The only way I’ve been able to manage these negative emotions, avoid self pity, jealousies, etc is to focus on making new pies, and existing pies bigger. Dividing shrinking pies is non productive.

WHATEVER CAR YOU SIGNED OFF ON, YOU AGREED TO. FULL STOP.*

*Those who prepaid for FSD and saw the price lower - that is something else.

Last edited:
I personally kinda like it the other way around. BMW makes their performance cars stand out, for those that want everyone to know they paid a lot I guess. Tesla's performance models fly under the radar, and can show you what they truly are when you floor the accelerator - that's my kind of ride.
Actually only enthusiasts can tell a M3/M5/M-whatever is different than a regular version. Most people think they look the same as a 3/5 series.

Likewise hardcore Tesla fans will know the difference between the performance and non performance. To others, they are all the same.

Well I got A P3D-, the $7.5k tax credit, a $5k refund, and apparently I still have free supercharging, so I don't feel too bad about my choice.
Actually only enthusiasts can tell a M3/M5/M-whatever is different than a regular version. Most people think they look the same as a 3/5 series.

Likewise hardcore Tesla fans will know the difference between the performance and non performance. To others, they are all the same.
Yup. Non-enthusiasts don't even know what an M3 is. Best case they know it's a BMW with some extra stuff stuck on it.

I have to say I'll never understand why this is so common with people. It's one thing to advocate to get something special for yourself, but to want to someone else to be damaged is just weird. Focusing on that sort of thing will just result in being miserable.

I guess I am pro Justice and matter of principle kind of person.
I don't wish bad luck on SR owners.
Tesla listed the specs and options for SR and SR+.
People, including me, made a choice based on that info.
After SR+ Owners buy up, if Tesla sells SR+ as SR for $2500 less to SR buyers, that is not right.
Tesla's is not giving $2500 back to SR+ Buyers who wish to downgrade (I am not one of them). Tesla should limit SR at 5.6 sec and disable heated seats as spec'd.
How does that make me a bad person?

After SR+ Owners buy up, if Tesla sells SR+ as SR for $2500 less to SR buyers, that is not right.
Tesla's is not giving $2500 back to SR+ Buyers who wish to downgrade (I am not one of them). Tesla should limit SR at 5.6 sec and disable heated seats as spec'd.

I was a SR+ Deposit buyer because I was willing to pay the premium over SR. Deposit was made with the belief that the SR+ would have the better interior and battery.

After Tesla’s announcement it made all the sense in the world to downgrade from SR+ to SR pre delivery.

Now I am finding I have an SR+ car at SR pricing. There is an equity problem here.

I am not at Tesla’s meetings but this is how I would handle it:

1.) Cancel the 35K SR immediately. People were given their chance. Tesla couldn’t make the 35K SR. Admit defeat and move on.

2.) Figure out of its possible to downgrade all SR owners to the level they paid for.

3.) Otherwise do something cool for SR+ owners like some free SC credit or future premium software offering. Satisfies the equity problem, generates good will and does not require a refund or downgrade refund on Tesla’s part.

I was a SR+ Deposit buyer because I was willing to pay the premium over SR. Deposit was made with the belief that the SR+ would have the better interior and battery.

After Tesla’s announcement it made all the sense in the world to downgrade from SR+ to SR pre delivery.

Now I am finding I have an SR+ car at SR pricing. There is an equity problem here.

I am not at Tesla’s meetings but this is how I would handle it:

1.) Cancel the 35K SR immediately. People were given their chance. Tesla couldn’t make the 35K SR. Admit defeat and move on.

2.) Figure out of its possible to downgrade all SR owners to the level they paid for.

3.) Otherwise do something cool for SR+ owners like some free SC credit or future premium software offering. Satisfies the equity problem, generates good will and does not require a refund or downgrade refund on Tesla’s part.
Yeah, seems easy and very cheap (at least as far as present cash flow) to throw them a bone of a year free supercharging or something.

I totally understand why they are selling the SR+ as SR, it's cheaper to give people the better equipment than it is to retool for new parts, but it does annoy customers.

I'm as hard-core a fan of Tesla as anybody, but I can't even tell the difference between a Model S and a Model X until they open the doors. :)

It does not make you a bad person. But there is no harm done to you if somebody else gets a better car cheaper. In a free market, a seller offers a product at a price. A buyer chooses to buy it at that price or not. We're not talking epi-pens here which if you need them you have to pay whatever price is demanded. We're talking luxury cars. If you buy a lottery ticket and somebody else wins, have you been cheated? Companies change the price of their products all the time. If they charge you more because you're black or a woman or because you speak pharsee, that's unfair discrimination. But if they charge someone else less because they walked into the store on a Tuesday, you have not been harmed at all. If a store has an unannounced sale on pomegranets and you just bought a whole bag of them the day before, do you think they're being unjust? You got the best car that's ever been built at a price you were willing to pay. Tesla would have been perfectly within their rights to charge double what they charge now. It might have been a bad business decision, but the company can do whatever it likes with the price, as long as it does not collude to fix prices.

You're not a bad person, but your reasoning in this case is faulty.

if they could (which they probably couldn't), they should have at least made changes to trim and exterior for the P3D to differentiate it from LR AWD and the rest of the pack

looking at BMW 3 series to M3, regulator MB C-Class to AMG, the first thing that people would notice is the exterior.

a black alcantara headliner and sportier seats would also have made the "P" models an actual performance line like the other carmakers

but I can also see how this would've driven the price higher and would've hindered the automated production process for the factories

not to say I would buy it, but if they had a new model refresh (like the model S) on the exterior and added chrome delete, black headliner, different wheels, etc. for the "P" models, it may not be a bad thing for Tesla fanboys and those in the market for luxury performance cars.

@OP - you don't notice any difference between the RWD and AWD? braking/handling?

Reactions: moltenfire
I'm as hard-core a fan of Tesla as anybody, but I can't even tell the difference between a Model S and a Model X until they open the doors. :)

It does not make you a bad person. But there is no harm done to you if somebody else gets a better car cheaper. In a free market, a seller offers a product at a price. A buyer chooses to buy it at that price or not. We're not talking epi-pens here which if you need them you have to pay whatever price is demanded. We're talking luxury cars. If you buy a lottery ticket and somebody else wins, have you been cheated? Companies change the price of their products all the time. If they charge you more because you're black or a woman or because you speak pharsee, that's unfair discrimination. But if they charge someone else less because they walked into the store on a Tuesday, you have not been harmed at all. If a store has an unannounced sale on pomegranets and you just bought a whole bag of them the day before, do you think they're being unjust? You got the best car that's ever been built at a price you were willing to pay. Tesla would have been perfectly within their rights to charge double what they charge now. It might have been a bad business decision, but the company can do whatever it likes with the price, as long as it does not collude to fix prices.

You're not a bad person, but your reasoning in this case is faulty.
My decision was made on Tesla provided info which they changed after my decision was made.
So I am just not understanding why I am on the side that donated extra money on Tesla's information which turned out to be false.
It is a scam if they do not make it right.

if they could (which they probably couldn't), they should have at least made changes to trim and exterior for the P3D to differentiate it from LR AWD and the rest of the pack

That only matters if it's important to you for other people to know that you spent more money than some other person. Personally, I dislike the culture of conspicuous consumption. If they build a car that looks just like mine but is cheaper, I don't care, because it does not affect my driving experience. I don't need other people to know that I bought an expensive car.

My decision was made on Tesla provided info which they changed after my decision was made.
So I am just not understanding why I am on the side that donated extra money on Tesla's information which turned out to be false.
It is a scam if they do not make it right.

Did your car have all the features they promised? Or did they deliver a car to you that was not what they said it would be? If the latter they defrauded you. If the former they did not.

If they sold someone else a car for less money than they offered to sell it to you for a week ago, they have not defrauded you. If I buy a bag of apples from a fruit vendor and he sells an identical bag of apples to the next customer for less, he has not cheated me. He's just given the other guy a better deal. Tesla made a marketing decision after you ordered your car. That kind of thing happens all the time. I'm sorry you missed out on the deal. But we've all been there.

I can identify practically every difference - down to IGBT vs MOSFET for the inverters.

I think this is also not a difference (yet?). No one has posted confirmation of the difference. Do you have a link? Or have you looked at (taken pictures of) your rear motor (no one has posted about the SR definitively in that thread...)? If it's been confirmed it would be good to add to the thread...

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

That only matters if it's important to you for other people to know that you spent more money than some other person. Personally, I dislike the culture of conspicuous consumption. If they build a car that looks just like mine but is cheaper, I don't care, because it does not affect my driving experience. I don't need other people to know that I bought an expensive car.

Did your car have all the features they promised? Or did they deliver a car to you that was not what they said it would be? If the latter they defrauded you. If the former they did not.

If they sold someone else a car for less money than they offered to sell it to you for a week ago, they have not defrauded you. If I buy a bag of apples from a fruit vendor and he sells an identical bag of apples to the next customer for less, he has not cheated me. He's just given the other guy a better deal. Tesla made a marketing decision after you ordered your car. That kind of thing happens all the time. I'm sorry you missed out on the deal. But we've all been there.
You don't get that part where I would not have spent $2500 extra if I knew SR would have everything I needed.
But I spent $2500 unnecessarily because Tesla gave me wrong info.

I am giving up on you now.