Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irritated by inconsiderate charging etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that the Weasel part of that post is when the person asked the Valet if it was OK to plug in since he was going to the bar. The Valet though he meant he was going to become a customer and have a drink or meal in the bar. Would qualify that person to access the charging port. Poster seems to intimate that he indeed went into the bar, but only to make a cell phone call to Uber.

Kind of like some one sneaking into a hotel that served free breakfast to their guests. Pretended that he was staying there and helped himself to some fresh waffles and a couple apples in his pocket for later :)

The world is full of people that take advantage of other peoples good nature.

Maybe there weren't any rooms at the Hotel. I would bet that if he went to the bar there, he would have wanted to stay there. He could have been contacted through Plugshare. We don't know if he left a contact number on his car or with the hotel staff. On the surface, not having any other answers, it appears to be a "no no".
This actually happened to me. Around 8 pm I arrived at a hotel with 3 destination charging stations, plugged in, and went to get a room. No luck, huge sporting event in town and they were booked, but said come back around 10pm and recheck. Since I didn't have enough charge to continue, I had a drink in the bar and then snoozed in the car. Meanwhile, the remaining spots were ICED and the parking lot was pretty much filled. When I woke, I decided to head on down the road to try the next town. So, yes, kinda smuck-like.

As did the OP, I preplan my stays. When I call to make reservations, I tell them I am using their hotel because I plan to charge, and ask if they can put a cone in the space before I come in. Most have a cone, all have been willing to save the place, and do if I call the day of arrival to remind them. I carry a cone with me and reserve my parking space when I am gone during my stay.

I understand ICE owners, driving around the parking lot, places all full, EXCEPT for those charging spots. Can't blame them.

And I leave my cell number on the dash as a common courtesy. No one has ever used it to harass me. I wish chargers had signage to remind anyone, even ICE drivers, to leave a cell number if they use the space.