Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS weighs in on tax rebate, mostly bad news for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IF.................I get another Tesla I would wait and see EXACTLY what hardware (cameras/radar/USB ports etc) is inside of it AND
they gotta drop the price. I have a 2019 M3SRP (240 @ 100%). I've since lost 7.5% battery and my warranty expires in March.
IF Elon ever gets his ass back to Austin and makes some changes I'm gonna wait or go for Hyundai Ioniq 6. MUCH safer car.
BTW FSD 10.69.25 still stinks. No sending grandma to the doctor with that

• Funny
Reactions: emiliorescigno
I agree. However, given how popular SUV’s are in the US, if you can’t convince SUV owners to switch, and they will not switch to a sedan, EV adoption will never take off.
Yes, I understand and agree. I guess I'm saying I'd be in favor of a single MSRP limit, regardless of vehicle type, that is generous enough to achieve the intended goal (transitioning to electric mobility).

Reactions: GSP and DrGriz
A decent guess but the ID.4 AWD "SUV" appears to have a GVWR of about 5800.
And the 7 seater MY is only 5,217.

And the 7 seater MY is only 5,217.

I still think the MY7 is qualifying because of the extra seats, in spite of not meeting other criteria.

Yes, I understand and agree. I guess I'm saying I'd be in favor of a single MSRP limit, regardless of vehicle type, that is generous enough to achieve the intended goal (transitioning to electric mobility).
I think it should be graduated. The primary goal is to increase adoption in general, but in order to really increase mass adoption the price of EVs must come down. $20-40k is the mass market. Make an EV Camry or CR-V and watch the market explode with EV buyers.

$7,500 = <$30,000 MSRP
$6,500 = <$40,000 MSRP
$5,500 = <$50,000 MSRP
$4,500 = <$60,000 MSRP
$3,500 = <$70,000 MSRP
$2,500 = <$80,000 MSRP
$0 = >$80,000 MSRP

IF.................I get another Tesla I would wait and see EXACTLY what hardware (cameras/radar/USB ports etc) is inside of it AND
they gotta drop the price. I have a 2019 M3SRP (240 @ 100%). I've since lost 7.5% battery and my warranty expires in March.
IF Elon ever gets his ass back to Austin and makes some changes I'm gonna wait or go for Hyundai Ioniq 6. MUCH safer car.
They could fill the trunk with gold and add a beer tap and you’d Still find a way to hate it. Even if it was Much safer lol.

I think it should be graduated. The primary goal is to increase adoption in general, but in order to really increase mass adoption the price of EVs must come down. $20-40k is the mass market. Make an EV Camry or CR-V and watch the market explode with EV buyers.

$7,500 = <$30,000 MSRP
$6,500 = <$40,000 MSRP
$5,500 = <$50,000 MSRP
$4,500 = <$60,000 MSRP
$3,500 = <$70,000 MSRP
$2,500 = <$80,000 MSRP
$0 = >$80,000 MSRP
I’d be in favor of this graduated approach. With future inflation, prices will be going up at some point. It would be unreasonable to disqualify a vehicle just because of inflation.

Credit should be the highest for mass market vehicles.

What makes the Ioniq 6 much safer?

Seems the IRS may have some really weird definitions for SUVs for tax purposes. The following like is just a website's interpretation. Don't have time to look for the code itself, but it may have some explanation depending on how the specific wording of the tax code is written.

The part that interests me the most right now is this:

Plan B for identifying the crossover as a truck is to see if you can make a flat, floor-level surface from the front seats to the rear with no more than a screwdriver and a wrench. If you can create the flat floor, you can qualify for the big truck write-off.

• Funny
Reactions: cusetownusa
I’d be in favor of this graduated approach. With future inflation, prices will be going up at some point. It would be unreasonable to disqualify a vehicle just because of inflation.

Credit should be the highest for mass market vehicles.
Toyota seems particularly stuck on non full electric. Look at all the plugs for the 2023 Prius. It can run 60 miles on battery. Yeah, if you drive like under 30 and don't accelerate

It has rear cross traffic alerts and when you back up a small video screen shows the back of the car near the steering wheel on the dashboard
Sort of like when Elon promised 360 view (what year was that again?)
Interesting. That does seem MUCH safer. I’ve heard a crazy amount of people die each year getting hit in parking lots while backing up…

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz and ucmndd
60 miles on battery still not bad considering it costs 2x less.. But the car isn't in the same category regardless how many miles drives on battery.
I've owned 2002, 2007, 2010, and 2017 PRIUS before Tesla. You can NEVER go all electric unless the road is flat, you can get up to 23mph and coast to a stop.
Not that they weren't good cars I had almost NO maintenance problems with them.