Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irvine (O.C) to Kettleman City Supercharger - X90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Is it possible?

100% Range Charge: 254 Miles
Suspension: Auto Lower at 55 MPH (to low)
Range Mode: ON

Plan to drive at 75 MPH, though this probably won't occur till I am passed Los Angeles Traffic.

Trip Specs:
Irvine to Kettleman City: 217 Miles on the I-5

EVTripPlanner: EV Trip Planner

According EVTripPlanner: I will use 242 Rated Miles so I should theoretically make it?

Weather:
High: ~ 80
Low: ~ 49
Wind: ~ 4 - 9 mph

Will leave tomorrow at noon.

I did that drive a couple of weeks ago in a MS 85D. The destination charger at my hotel was really slow, so I didn't leave at 100% which meant that I needed to stop for 10 minutes at Buttonwllow to use the facilities and gain enough range to comfortably make it to Kettleman City to see the new SC station. I think I could have made it, but didn't want to push it with the family in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG
I did that drive a couple of weeks ago in a MS 85D. The destination charger at my hotel was really slow, so I didn't leave at 100% which meant that I needed to stop for 10 minutes at Buttonwllow to use the facilities and gain enough range to comfortably make it to Kettleman City to see the new SC station. I think I could have made it, but didn't want to push it with the family in the car.

I am guessing that Kettleman City to SF won't be an issue? That is 208 miles.

I just want to say, good luck. We're all counting on you. ;)

I've driven I-5 North from OC a number of times in my Model S, which has slightly more range (~262 miles at 100%), and I doubt I would be able to make it to Kettleman City without an intermediate stop. The uphill stretch from Santa Clarita to the top of Tejon Pass will consume much more range than the actual miles on a map, especially if there is any wind. Expect to get a couple of miles of range back on the downhill run, but not a whole lot.

The good news, as others have pointed out, is that you have the option to stop at Tejon Ranch or Buttonwillow on the way to Kettleman City, if it turns out you don't have enough range. As you get close to each of them, select the next supercharger beyond it as your destination and see if you can easily make it.

I am guessing that Kettleman City to SF won't be an issue? That is 208 miles.
Yes, it could be an issue. To get to SF, you have to cross mountains, either over the Altamont Pass (Hwy 580 to Livermore) or the Pacheco Pass (Hwy 152, from I-5 to Gilroy). Again, you'll probably need to stop at an intermediate point (Dublin SC if using 580, Gilroy SC if using 152).

I have a P100D with 22s.

100% charge with 70mph speeds and drafting semis whenever possible I can squeak out 250 miles. That requires constant focus on my average.

This is in FL with totally flat roads, no traffic, and 85F temps. AC on, Range Mode on, just me in the car, and little to no wind.

Yes, it could be an issue. To get to SF, you have to cross mountains, either over the Altamont Pass (Hwy 580 to Livermore) or the Pacheco Pass (Hwy 152, from I-5 to Gilroy). Again, you'll probably need to stop at an intermediate point (Dublin SC if using 580, Gilroy SC if using 152).

We did SF to Kettleman on Friday in our 100D w/ 20" wheels; started at 100% and arrived with enough margin to spare (15% or so, I think) - the Kettleman station is amazing!

Reactions: K-MTG
We did SF to Kettleman on Friday in our 100D w/ 20" wheels; started at 100% and arrived with enough margin to spare (15% or so, I think) - the Kettleman station is amazing!

Just did a range charge...244 miles. Not sure if my battery degraded but it was charging at 244 miles for 25 minutes. Going to leave shortly.

The Trip Planner says I will make it with 5% but wants me to stop at Bakersfield for 10 minutes.

Had to divert to Bakersfield...I wouldn't had made it to Kettelmen. Though I had to divert off the 5 to stay away from traffic..so that ate some range.

Stayed at Bakersfield for a bit, were to Kettelmen and now I am on my way to Gustine. Will charge there for 5-10 minutes before driving to SF.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX and thecloud
Following this thread since I am planning a trip to Fremont in the near future.

The problem is we have S60 instead.
Not even sure we can make it to Tejon Ranch from RC.

Getting to Tejon Ranch should be fine even with an S60. From mid-OC it's roughly 120 miles and even with the 4000+ ft elevation of Tejon Pass an S60 with a full charge should make it just fine.

Reactions: ACA Man