Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a lack of instrumentation dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It definitely becomes rapidly intuitive. They’ve done it for 5 years with the Model S and I’ve never spoken to an owner who said they missed them. I don’t see that being a hot topic of conversation here among people who have owned the cars for a while, either.

The problem is people can adapt to anything. I think if something reaches a threshold of usability, even if in reality it's objectively terrible (I'm not saying this is), people won't complain. Nor realize that there is actually a waaay better way of doing things. This is as expected I guess - most people aren't continuously mulling UI issues on a daily basis. :)

Does it concern anybody else that it took the guy multiple tries to touch icons on the touch screen? Hell, one time, he hit it like three times and the employee had to take over and attempt to hit it a couple times before it finally worked.
No, it doesn't concern me. I have a Prius with a U.I. touchscreen. Never a problem with activating a control even when underway............and my screen is 1/3 the size of the one on model 3! I know it is difficult to understand how convenient this system is if you have never used one, but you will come to embrace it with use and familiarity. The futuristic and genius part of the TESLA U.I. is over the air tweaks and upgrades which Toyota can't do on my car.

AND, the model 3 U.I. is still being refined and in my opinion is one of the reasons why TESLA is so sensitive about posting these videos. They just give people the wrong impression and then they jump to conclusions.

The problem is people can adapt to anything. I think if something reaches a threshold of usability, even if in reality it's objectively terrible (I'm not saying this is), people won't complain. Nor realize that there is actually a waaay better way of doing things. This is as expected I guess - most people aren't continuously mulling UI issues on a daily basis. :)

Do you long for the days of physical buttons on phones again?

But it's not objectively terrible. All software buttons has huge advantages in being able to lay out the controls in a context sensitive way and make things rapidly accessible for what you have to do at a given moment. This definitely reminds me of people who thought the iPhone would be a total flop since it didn't have a keyboard.

Reactions: DR61
The same thing that happens when your tranny or ECM or rad or whatever else craps out ;)
The issue I have is that everything is tied to one single interface (big screen) without any redundancy. There’s no other driver interface other than the knobs in the wheel and the stalks other than that and you still need the screen to interact with those. I like the screen; however would’ve liked to have had another perhaps smaller screen by the steering wheel as in the other Models.

The issue I have is that everything is tied to one single interface (big screen) without any redundancy. There’s no other driver interface other than the knobs in the wheel and the stalks other than that and you still need the screen to interact with those. I like the screen; however would’ve liked to have had another perhaps smaller screen by the steering wheel as in the other Models.

There's not really any redundancy in the Model S. In fact, I would say it's worse, since it would be difficult to drive the car if either of the screens went out.

This may sound crazy, but the Tesla app for your smart phone could provide some redundancy. Center display is broke? Set HVAC on your phone, etc.

It definitely becomes rapidly intuitive. They’ve done it for 5 years with the Model S and I’ve never spoken to an owner who said they missed them. I don’t see that being a hot topic of conversation here among people who have owned the cars for a while, either.

Speaking from experience (old timer Model S owner), I can say that I don't miss buttons at all. There was similar hand-wringing when Tesla introduced the touch screen on the Model S and it turned out to be for naught.

From the look of things, they used a similar design and layout, so I would guess that it will not be an issue for the Model 3 either.

Reactions: davedavedave
My takeaway from the videos of the UI is: no way in hell I would let people like my parents touch the Model 3. They need analog switches and knobs. I'd see them attempting to drive a Model 3, get frustrated and get in an accident while trying to figure it out.

They're the kind of people that need constant education on utilizing core functions of a smartphone like connecting to a new wifi network.

My takeaway from the videos of the UI is: no way in hell I would let people like my parents touch the Model 3.
Yeah, this will be an issue in the short term for some folks. In the not too distant future, cars will be self-driving with voice control and/or other simple interface. This will be very good for anyone who may have trouble driving or interacting with semi-complicated controls.

My takeaway from the videos of the UI is: no way in hell I would let people like my parents touch the Model 3. They need analog switches and knobs. I'd see them attempting to drive a Model 3, get frustrated and get in an accident while trying to figure it out.

They're the kind of people that need constant education on utilizing core functions of a smartphone like connecting to a new wifi network.
Perhaps you underestimate them. I'm 71 and love touch screens. My late father also used a touch screen at 96.

Just about every car built in the last 20 years has the same issue. They are all computer controlled, they may have more displays then the model 3 but if the computer craps out you get nothing. I don't hear any complaints about single point of failure there.

I get that. I really do. We are taking a leap of faith by making the commitment to adapt so much new tech and change all at the same time. It really is going to be interesting.
In a way it’s kind of similar when I transitioned from the DC-9 to the Airbus 320. 2 very different interface technologies worlds apart. It was incredibly challenging at the time but gave me some very cool new tools to use. (The 9 however was hands down my favourite aircraft to hand fly)

Reactions: C141medic
Do you long for the days of physical buttons on phones again?

:) Would probably be useful to supplement in that way. Some new combination of controls (not just buttons) used to improve efficiency - and it will be hailed as some amazing innovation when apple does it 5 years from now. :D

Anyway my simple point is what type of control arrangement gives maximum efficiency and usability for (primitive) humans with fingers and eyes? The chances that a single flat panel with icons represents that ideal is roughly zero. If fact we already know that to be the case, otherwise you'd be controlling turn signals thru the touchscreen - an absurdity. But that's all they've done for Model 3 design it seems, is avoid absurdity. Easiest method!

Last edited:
Reactions: N5329K